Carp with no lips!

pjcoarsefishing

Reaction score
Caught a mirror today and was sad to see the poor thing had literally no lips left. Must have been caught hundreds of times. What do you normally do in a situation like this? I doubt the fishery would do anything, but does anyone apply anyspecial ointment or cream? I've seen it advertised before in fishing mags. LG

I agree with cg74. Tell the fishery owner. Take pictures give them to the owners, put them on forums if you feel you want to.

Showing the owner the pictures may help them realise how bad the damage is, some hear about mouth damage and take it as an everyday thing, a bit missing here or there and not realise the full extent of the damage done.

I fished a lake recently and one of the carps mouths was mashed! It was a wonder it could eat, fortunately they suck a lot of their food, if not I am sure it would be dead.

A lot of the problem (from what I have seen) is not fish in the reeds but draggers pulling fish in as fast as they can or surface fishing especially those fly fishing. A double figure carp banked in minutes, or should I say yanked in in minutes.

Korda do a carp repair kit but it is mainly for cuts and sores not the state of fish mentioned in this thread. Handy for those who care about fish to have handy. There are two bottles in the pack one for body treatment the other for mouth treatment.

Last edited:

laguna

Reaction score
I think bad mouth damage has something to do with 1) use of heavy leads 2) use of heavy lines and over-powerful rods 3) poor unhooking skills

Some also argue that barbless hooks are worse.
The weight of the lead is of no concern if its free-running, however even semi-fixed leads (fixed near the hook with safety lead clips) can cause damage.

Never did understand the barbless hook argument... why else would the majority of modern day fisheries ban barbed? Must say I'm a complete convert and even crimp down old barbed patterns I still have left over for river fishing too.
Barbed are harder to shake and lose, also a barbed will always prick and then tear whereas a barbless will just prick.

I'm on the committee and we have the place netted every few years to sort out the stock, keep tabs etc and the guys who net it, are adamant that the most common cause of mouth damage is tiny hooks and fine lines. Tiny hooks rip out and fine lines act like cheese wire and saw through the corners of the mouth.

The barbless hook thing...I've heard that too but have never been able to work out why. I thought people insist on using barbed to stop the hook pulling in a fight, which could then end up in the fishes eye, flank or any other part of it.
I don't know why people insist on barbed, other than it holds firm... the only disadvantage I see is that you could loose the fish in a fight if using barbless. I'm yet to be convinced, but I see any reason given for using barbed as an excuse to continue using them for fear of losing fish.

Where as the profile of Hook link Braid is flat, therefore causes no damage! Silkworm for example.

complete tosh
Not exactly complete tosh, nonetheless please read my responses below

Have a read of this, quite old now but some good information............

http://www.fishingmagic.com/news_events/news/11635-the-truth-about-braided-lines.html
please read my responses below in which I have tried to provide a balanced view.

Yes what happened to angling skills in the intervening years..

Fixed bolt rigs shouldn't have any place in freshwater angling.

They should only be used in specific sea fishing situations eg; where the fish is for the table.

And can anyone please explain to me where angling skills are involved in fixed lead bolt fishing???
Apart from the initial positioning of the end tackle I fail to see any :confused:
Agree fixed leads are a death rig setup

If i am fishing for silvers with a size 20 hook and thin line how can i be sure i will not hook up on a carp?...this makes me laugh when people say never use hooks under a certain size for carp fishing,there is no way you can be sure you will not catch a carp unless there are no carp in the water to start with
Unavoidable. Agree that small hooks and thin/inappropriate line can damage fish mouth parts. Its inexperience or inappropriate angling practices thats to blame but on a mixed fishery you will inevitably hook into something bigger than you might have intended.

Do you think rig tubing over the hooklength would help especially if that goes all the way to the hook eye.

---------- Post added at 21:09 ---------- Previous post was at 21:07 ----------

i'd see this as something that might help with self hooking methods especially if I akso fish a bomb and use a pva bag.
Easier to use a high dia line than increase the line dia with tubing?

---------
On Braid;
"When a correctly constructed braided hooklength is passed over an object such as a fish's mouth the braid has the ability to flatten by following the contours of the mouth. "
If it is under tension it becomes flattened and spreads the load, this is a positive though I submit the 'edges' of a flattened object also has the ability to cut through flesh, the same way a blade of grass can cut your finger.

"Many braids are actually thicker than their mono counterparts and consequently have a surface area greater than mono."
That is true. Flattening it under tension though still produces an edge which has the ability to cut.

"Think of the difference of the load being spread between a cheesewire and a tape measure."
The edge of a tape measure can cut.

"totally safe because of the cushioning effect of the plastic coating."
Agree that coated braided hook lengths are safe as hell and certainly better than uncoated braid or thin mono. My own reasoning is that a coated braid has a rounded edge compared to a non-coated braid that flattens more.

"There are now braided lines on the market made for use as reel line or mainline. These lines are of an extremely low diameter and should never be used as hooklengths! "
A flattened hollow hooklength designed specifically as a hooklength will also become thinner in diameter under tension - with the added danger of having an edge that will cut the same as any comparable mainline braid of the same diameter.

Last edited:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Regarding barbless I have seen a lot of guys on forums vehemently defending barbed hooks, one of the things they quote as evidence , with carp , is a tiny tear behind the hook , I must admit that tear is often there on carp I catch.

I have stopped putting a drennan stop behind my method feeder as a result of this thread and talking to the guy who runs the tackle shop , so my rigs eill now be totally free running with a longer hooklength.

My other problem is maximum hook size , though in all honesty there is such a variation in hook size by manufacturer and the variation in fish size i.e. You fish for roach and a carp takes it , also frankly the temptation has been to fish smaller hooks in order to tempt the carp.

I haven't read all your post Chris just the first bit , will read it all now.

laguna

Reaction score
I have stopped putting a drennan stop behind my method feeder as a result of this thread and talking to the guy who runs the tackle shop , so my rigs eill now be totally free running with a longer hooklength.

I haven't read all your post Chris just the first bit , will read it all now.

No need for restrictions behind a lead Benny!
You may soon hear of a system we have developed that provides slight 'resistance' thus acting as a semi-fixed bolt rig (without a clip) but in no way hinders the lead from sliding or coming off should the mainline break.

As usual, I didnt read all that I put either, have edited 3 times already (grammatical errors mainly) lol :D

alexmack

Reaction score
Wish I had read this debate before I posted somthing almost identical about barb vs barbless on the carp hooks question, doh! Thanks for the debate confirming both barbed and barbless arguments are widespread! For all reasons outlined in the posts I have gone for barbless for some time now despite being allowed barbed on some venus I fish.

Back to the 'no lips' starter I am sure this horriffic damage is most likely on a previously tethered fish. Barbless would have given this fish the best chance to escape before this happened, hence my choice. Still unsure about the greater chance of tearing bit!!!

bennygesserit

Reaction score
No need for restrictions behind a lead Benny!
You may soon hear of a system we have developed that provides slight 'resistance' thus acting as a semi-fixed bolt rig (without a clip) but in no way hinders the lead from sliding or coming off should the mainline break.

As usual, I didnt read all that I put either, have edited 3 times already (grammatical errors mainly) lol :D

A Drennan float stop would allow the fish to shed the feeeder I now fish a running line only but I believe the rig was still safe.

greenie62

Reaction score
A lot of the problem (from what I have seen) is not fish in the reeds but draggers pulling fish in as fast as they can or surface fishing especially those fly fishing.....

How does fly fishing injure carp?
From my own experience the fight is gentler - no 'dragging' in that the rods have a very forgiving action and since the line is usually played 'by hand' the angler has a feel for the response of the fish, not being winched through gears on a broom pole of a rod! Happy to discuss! ;)

thecrow

Reaction score
Overstocked hungry waters, being caught to often, unsuitable equipment, poor angling practice both In playing fish and unhooking, all of these can contribute to poor fish condition, fly fishing for carp, I very much doubt it.

pjcoarsefishing

Reaction score
How does fly fishing injure carp?
From my own experience the fight is gentler - no 'dragging' in that the rods have a very forgiving action and since the line is usually played 'by hand' the angler has a feel for the response of the fish, not being winched through gears on a broom pole of a rod! Happy to discuss! ;)

Hi

I would have agreed with you that fly fishing for carp was probably not an issue until I saw an elderly couple actually doing it. Carp took the hook and they literally 'dragged' it in. Double figure carp banked 'in minutes' or yanking and Oh it got away sadly another fish obviously mouth split.

Not only did they wind them in as fast as possible they walked backwards whilst doing so.

Hopefully they are a minority, excessive dragging and yanking goes on with rod users as well.

thecrow

Reaction score
Hi

I would have agreed with you that fly fishing for carp was probably not an issue until I saw an elderly couple actually doing it. Carp took the hook and they literally 'dragged' it in. Double figure carp banked 'in minutes' or yanking and Oh it got away sadly another fish obviously mouth split.

Not only did they wind them in as fast as possible they walked backwards whilst doing so.

Hopefully they are a minority, excessive dragging and yanking goes on with rod users as well.

As the fish was not landed how could you tell that its mouth was split? flies are usually made up with small hooks and that may have been the reason for the loss.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
The weight of the lead is of no concern if its free-running, however even semi-fixed leads (fixed near the hook with safety lead clips) can cause damage.

Never did understand the barbless hook argument... why else would the majority of modern day fisheries ban barbed? Must say I'm a complete convert and even crimp down old barbed patterns I still have left over for river fishing too.
Barbed are harder to shake and lose, also a barbed will always prick and then tear whereas a barbless will just prick.

I don't know why people insist on barbed, other than it holds firm... the only disadvantage I see is that you could loose the fish in a fight if using barbless. I'm yet to be convinced, but I see any reason given for using barbed as an excuse to continue using them for fear of losing fish.

Not exactly complete tosh, nonetheless please read my responses below

please read my responses below in which I have tried to provide a balanced view.

Agree fixed leads are a death rig setup

Unavoidable. Agree that small hooks and thin/inappropriate line can damage fish mouth parts. Its inexperience or inappropriate angling practices thats to blame but on a mixed fishery you will inevitably hook into something bigger than you might have intended.

Easier to use a high dia line than increase the line dia with tubing?

---------
On Braid;
"When a correctly constructed braided hooklength is passed over an object such as a fish's mouth the braid has the ability to flatten by following the contours of the mouth. "
If it is under tension it becomes flattened and spreads the load, this is a positive though I submit the 'edges' of a flattened object also has the ability to cut through flesh, the same way a blade of grass can cut your finger.

"Many braids are actually thicker than their mono counterparts and consequently have a surface area greater than mono."
That is true. Flattening it under tension though still produces an edge which has the ability to cut.

"Think of the difference of the load being spread between a cheesewire and a tape measure."
The edge of a tape measure can cut.

"totally safe because of the cushioning effect of the plastic coating."
Agree that coated braided hook lengths are safe as hell and certainly better than uncoated braid or thin mono. My own reasoning is that a coated braid has a rounded edge compared to a non-coated braid that flattens more.

"There are now braided lines on the market made for use as reel line or mainline. These lines are of an extremely low diameter and should never be used as hooklengths! "
A flattened hollow hooklength designed specifically as a hooklength will also become thinner in diameter under tension - with the added danger of having an edge that will cut the same as any comparable mainline braid of the same diameter.

Chris I am having problems finding a higher diameter hooklink material.

---------- Post added at 18:34 ---------- Previous post was at 18:31 ----------

Fished the feeder yesterday totally free running , much longer hooklink , many more "twangs" of the rod that didn't convert to fish , I can only assume the longer hooklink was the issue.

pjcoarsefishing

Reaction score
As the fish was not landed how could you tell that its mouth was split? flies are usually made up with small hooks and that may have been the reason for the loss.

They were using size 10 and 12 hooks, some were imitation bread flakes and some were flies size 12 hook, they showed me when I asked.

My assumption that the mouth would be split was because of the bend in the rod and the yanking the fish in so fast, he got it 1/3 to 1/2 way in and away the fish went, the line was never slack and the bend never reduced in the rod until the fish broke free. Had it got away as soon as the person struck or if the line had gone slack or if the fish flipped it would have been different.

thecrow

Reaction score
They were using size 10 and 12 hooks, some were imitation bread flakes and some were flies size 12 hook, they showed me when I asked.

My assumption that the mouth would be split was because of the bend in the rod and the yanking the fish in so fast, he got it 1/3 to 1/2 way in and away the fish went, the line was never slack and the bend never reduced in the rod until the fish broke free. Had it got away as soon as the person struck or if the line had gone slack or if the fish flipped it would have been different.

Have you ever seen anyone fishing for Barbel using hook & hold tactics? the bend in the rod is alarming there is a lot of pressure on all the tackle, its a method I have to use sometimes on the small river I fish, I use barbed hooks that stand the pressure without moving, I would never use a barbless hook because it would damage the fish, the barbed hook does not move it does minimal damage which is unavoidable with any hook, barbless hooks IMO can cut and move barbed do not.

laguna

Reaction score
Chris I am having problems finding a higher diameter hooklink material. ---------- Post added at 18:34 ---------- Previous post was at 18:31 ---------- Fished the feeder yesterday totally free running , much longer hooklink , many more "twangs" of the rod that didn't convert to fish , I can only assume the longer hooklink was the issue.

Id stick with a 4" hooklink and a free running lead Benny. The shorter hooklink definitely converts into more pickups imo and the lead/feeder will move out of harms way up the mainline once its picked up.
If your concerned with line dia damaging fish then you could use hollow braided hooklink material, its not perfect due to the flattened edge but its supple and kinder than thin mono. Coated braid would be even better for fish welfare, but its far too stiff and you will need to par it back for tying your hook on... I think parring it back sorta defeats the object of using coated material.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Id stick with a 4" hooklink and a free running lead Benny. The shorter hooklink definitely converts into more pickups imo and the lead/feeder will move out of harms way up the mainline once its picked up.
If your concerned with line dia damaging fish then you could use hollow braided hooklink material, its not perfect due to the flattened edge but its supple and kinder than thin mono. Coated braid would be even better for fish welfare, but its far too stiff and you will need to par it back for tying your hook on... I think parring it back sorta defeats the object of using coated material.

Can't use braid on most of the places I fish Chris.

law

Reaction score
Have you ever seen anyone fishing for Barbel using hook & hold tactics? the bend in the rod is alarming there is a lot of pressure on all the tackle, its a method I have to use sometimes on the small river I fish, I use barbed hooks that stand the pressure without moving, I would never use a barbless hook because it would damage the fish, the barbed hook does not move it does minimal damage which is unavoidable with any hook, barbless hooks IMO can cut and move barbed do not.

And how do you unhook without causing further damage to the hole then? By moving the hook away from the barb to enlarge the hole to let it slide out?

thecrow

Reaction score
And how do you unhook without causing further damage to the hole then? By moving the hook away from the barb to enlarge the hole to let it slide out?

There is no more damage from removing a barbed hook than there is from a barbless, that's if you know what you are doing, barbed will not move under the heavy pressure from hook and hold, I am convinced that barbless would cut under the same pressure and I am not prepared to cut a fish with one merely to prove a point that I know the answer to already.

If you don't want to damage fish at all the only way is to stop fishing because like it or not every time an angler hooks a fish it is damaged, its what we do stick hooks in them!

---------- Post added at 18:12 ---------- Previous post was at 18:00 ----------

Can't use braid on most of the places I fish Chris.

Don't know if this will help looking for higher diameter line.

www.tacklebox.co.uk/pdfs/line_tests.pdf

pjcoarsefishing

Reaction score
Hi

I have watched John Wilson (TV & DVD) catch and land wild carp on a fly rod with centre pin reel. At least he allows the fish to run and then bring it back gradually slowly tiring the fish so as to avoid damaging it.

Although this discussion started by mentioning a couple who were fly fishing for carp, what I am referring to happens with all forms of carp fishing, by a minority I would expect or hope, that is dragging or yanking as if it is the race to drag the carp out of the water as fast as possible to hopefully get in to another one. If I take half an hour playing an active or double figure carp before I bank it I am happy with that, it is part of the sport, or used to be, or so I thought.