Folded Reel Handles - WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morespiders

Reaction score
I like to fold the left hand reel handle if I'm fishing to my left it makes it easier to strike with my right hand rod if that's to the left to sometimes

Reaction score
Here's another example of mindless handle folding.

Two sticks and one bucket.

Am I missing something?

Can someone justify the need to fold the handles?

redmiretone054.jpg

---------- Post added at 12:55 ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 ----------

Just a reminder - this thread isnt in bait box. The aim was to get some ideas and answers to educate those of us that are somewhat bemused by the practice of reel handle folding.

greenie62

Reaction score
Here's another example of mindless handle folding....Can someone justify the need to fold the handles?

Haven't you got it yet Corky?
They know how much it winds you up - so they're all doing it deliberately just to wind you up even more! :eek::eek:mg:

PS: This was submitted before your reminder was added!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Look Benny can you just stop taking this thread round in circles.

I'm not accusing someone of a crime, just trying to understand why.

But why would someone be so awkward to not tell me why if they know?

---------- Post added at 12:59 ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 ----------

I'm not wound up at all.

Just asking simple, reasonable questions and getting mostly bollox in replies from those that dont know either.

greenie62

Reaction score
Corky,
Is it possible that - on some reels -the large unfolded handle creates a 'turning moment' along the axis of the rod causing it to sit lopsided in the rests/bucket and impede the line path through the alarm sensor? Folding the handle would - depending on design characteristics - reduce this and give better bite detection.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think there is any rhyme or reason to be totally honest, other than maybe for a sort of fashion statement. It only ever takes one to start a craze, doesn't it.

If a swim is so narrow as to require the handles to be folded then, in my opinion, it is also too small to attempt to land a fish in.

I can understand that if you only have a short buzz bar having forgotten to pack larger ones then it is possibly the only way you could fish two rods together.
Even then surely you only need to fold the handle of the one rod as the other will be in the clear(?)

There are lots of little foibles that we all have in connection with our fishing, one of mine is to have all 3 Delks of the same colour LED (mine are all Purple Haze b.t.w.) when you could argue the case to have 3 different colours for ease of identification as to which rod the bites come from at night(?)

Reaction score
Is it possible that - on some reels -the large unfolded handle creates a 'turning moment' along the axis of the rod causing it to sit lopsided in the rests/bucket and impede the line path through the alarm sensor?

No. Not unless the reel was designed by a florist or a window cleaner.

sam vimes

Reaction score

I'm not accusing someone of a crime, just trying to understand why.

But why would someone be so awkward to not tell me why if they know?

---------- Post added at 12:59 ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 ----------

I'm not wound up at all.

Just asking simple, reasonable questions and getting mostly bollox in replies from those that dont know either.

See post #3.;):wh

cg74

Reaction score

Like I said early on in this thread; you should've asked the angler that you saw practising this technique.

Seems like it's you leading this in perpetual circles:
See post #3.;):wh

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Ok Corky,

I will not take you round and round for another 12 pages ………… easy as it is.

I have very short buzz bars that are custom made ( made them myself) for two 4000 reels i use for my Tench and Bream fishing, they are also handy for a couple of other reels.

When I fish i like to use single sticks, unless i am fishing a couple of venues that have very very long walks. On these venues i cut down on everything, i mean everything, i don't even take a bed chair, lay on the floor.

Skippy has been to one of these venues with me, he had had it, just walking round, and we only covered half the venue. The buzz bars are for these venues. With me so far ??

When i had to fish with folded handles, i didn't have enough sticks, i was using bigger reels, and only had my short buzz bars in my quiver holdall. you still with me ?? So i had to fold the handles, Easy, problem solved, and it served a purpose, something you don't think they do. So bigger buzz bars are not needed, nor are extendable buzz bars. Buzz bars have limits, thats why i like to use single sticks, if i don't forget them.

As for the reel handles folded on the bucket, thats not right, its a camo bucket, whats the point in camo another fashion, just like bait runners.

Whilst on baitrunners, i don't use them, no need. Loosen the clutch, when you have a run, lift the rod, right hand in my case, as you do your middle finger goes on the spool and holds it in place, strike, (this is all done in one movement) left had turns the clutch, job done. When i had to use folded handles, the handle was flicked into place as i picked up the rod. Very quick, very easy. I have fished just by loosening the clutch for 40 years, and never had a problem.

Folded handles or not, as i said before, I don't worry how anglers fish etc etc.

Is it a fashion ?

Does it serve a purpose ? in my case yes.

Why do anglers fish folded handles ??? I haven't a F**king Clue, and don't care, but i enjoyed tagging you and your french mate along..

Who and what will be next ??? :D:D

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
Why do anglers fish folded handles ??? I haven't a F**king Clue, and don't care, but i enjoyed tagging you and your french mate along..

Who and what will be next ??? :D:D

IF you hadn't got all flustered, run round in circles and ended up getting yellow carded for foul mouthed behaviour some might have joined you in your fantasy world. But as it is, nobody except yourself is fooled. ;)

Reaction score
Ray

Odd how you think you've run me and an imaginary French person round in circles.

You'll find you keep posting the same stuff. And furthermore you resorted to abuse and one letter one syllable responses.

You made it clear your reasons on the first page. They were well understood. No need to keep repeating them.

Now make way for some thinking anglers.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Being a thinking angler I've developed a reel with no handle...
It works by voice control and psychological mind beams that control the drag..

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
IF you hadn't got all flustered, run round in circles and ended up getting yellow carded for foul mouthed behaviour some might have joined you in your fantasy world. But as it is, nobody except yourself is fooled. ;)

Well i knew you would try that old number, but i didn't get a warning for this thread at all, Know it all. Sorry you don't know it all.

Your living the fantasy old boy, and you and corky are not the first to have been caught out.

---------- Post added at 22:26 ---------- Previous post was at 22:22 ----------

Ray

Odd how you think you've run me and an imaginary French person round in circles.

You'll find you keep posting the same stuff. And furthermore you resorted to abuse and one letter one syllable responses.

You made it clear your reasons on the first page. They were well understood. No need to keep repeating them.

Now make way for some thinking anglers.

So if i made it clear from the first page, as you say. To tag you along for another 11 pages, your a bigger mug than i thought. I only had to repeat myself to keep you hooked. Easy.

I clearly think more than you do, fishing and otherwise. :wh:D

ZZzzzzzZZzZzzZzzzzzz

---------- Post added at 22:39 ---------- Previous post was at 22:26 ----------

The last time i did this, it went on for about 15 pages, i let you both off lightly.

I used to send messages to Cakey between posts. When i called it time, like you, it was, you just went round and round, your only saying that.

Then cakey let them know what had been going on, oh the red faces.

I wish Cakey had been here for this one.

nicepix

Reaction score
Well i knew you would try that old number, but i didn't get a warning for this thread at all, Know it all. Sorry you don't know it all.

Your living the fantasy old boy, and you and corky are not the first to have been caught out.

So if i made it clear from the first page, as you say. To tag you along for another 11 pages, your a bigger mug than i thought. I only had to repeat myself to keep you hooked. Easy.

ZZzzzzzZZzZzzZzzzzzz

The last time i did this, it went on for about 15 pages, i let you both off lightly.

I used to send messages to Cakey between posts. When i called it time, like you, it was, you just went round and round, your only saying that.

YOU let US off lightly? :eek:mg:

Obviously we are in the presence of an intellectual genius who operates on a different wavelength to we mere mortals. I look forward to your next enthralling explanation of something you know nothing about.

Reaction score
Ray Given your poor spelling and grammar, it's difficult to understand what you're (yes, you're not your) trying to say. However, I think I get the jist of it. You seem to be admitting to spoiling the thread, for some sort of personal gratification. This is not Bait Box, it's (notice the use of the apostrophe) the general fishing forum, for general fishing questions, answers and discussion. There for all to see.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

ZZzzzzzZZzZzzZzzzzzz

Pathetic, and they say the youth of today have no respect, if the quoted post is the truth then it looks like the middle aged are the ones with the problem.

How do you think this thread, and in particular your responses to it, look to a casual surfer just looking in for a bit of general fishing chit chat?

10,000+ posts and this is the best you can come up with; Pah, you should be ashamed.

Edit, The odd looking full stop comma thing is a semi colon, look it up if it's got you confused.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.