Folded Reel Handles - WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicepix

Reaction score
Clive doesn't experience help you adjust the drag fairly quickly , even with a fish on ? I find I can do it with a carp on , while the fish is not taking line I can even give it a quick pull test ( if you know what I mean )

I've always tried to set my drag for each outfit and rarely alter it other than a few clicks each way during the course of a fight or of I attach a significantly different breaking strain hook length to the one I normally use. That way I can easily go back to the default position. I have most of my rods already set up, fitted with reels and line and they just need the end tackle attaching so I know when I start fishing that the drag is or should be ideal for what I'm doing.

The reels with a 'Front Spool Baitrunner' function have two adjustment points. The central (difficult to adjust in error) point adjusts the main reel drag, the main butterfly knob adjusts from freespool to normal in about 1/2 a turn, so using the baitrunner does not alter the main reel drag. Of course that does not apply to a normal reel where no free spool function is built in, and in those circumstances, yes, you would be messing around with the main drag each time you freed the spool. I have a set of XTB5500's with the freespool baitrunner function built in. I was unsure at first but you soon get used to them.

As for the super narrow buzz bars, maybe they are for retro anglers using a matched pair of centrepins with their built cane rods?

Yes, I know about the front baitrunner idea. But Ray seems to be advocating using a normal front drag reel in order to save money by not buying a baitrunner. A bit like using a bent pin to save the cost of a hook :wh

As for your last point; Now wouldn't that be a first? Carp anglers gaining inspiration from the past. I always thought they were like Star Trekkers - "Always going forward, can never find reverse" :D

wes79

Reaction score
This has to be the funniest thread I've read on this forum yet, some proper witty sarcastic border line tantrum retorts.

I'm toying with the idea of marketing this as a ebay description strategy....might actually be quids in! :eek:

" great for folding real handles" sounds ace!

Someone once sold loads of shell suits so I've got confidence in this, just need to pitch it to the right buyer.

It might just be the clincher to max out the bids and get me an extra tenner , free bottle of northern monkey climber cleaner or southern fairy liquid depending on postcode.

cheers guys!

Last edited:

wes79

Reaction score
Well these things have to be sorted out Wes.

We need a YT vid of an expert strike (with a quick intermission to sort out that handle thing) that will put all the nay-sayers on the back foot. :w

how did you get on?

Had a screaming high decibel bite from the alarm, the ****** snapped off before I knew my arse from my elbow.....

oh, how the devil did you manage that? Don't tell me you were using 8lb line instead of 20lb again?

Well, erm.....let me explain.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuJQSAiODqI

I'm only having a laugh (at myself mainly).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well I was chatting to another carp angler at the weekend.

He emerged from his bivvy complaining of a bad back.

It seems that the latest craze is to sleep on a folded bed chair. Apparently it takes up less room and looks tidier.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
This has to be the funniest thread I've read on this forum yet, some proper witty sarcastic border line tantrum retorts.

I'm toying with the idea of marketing this as a ebay description strategy....might actually be quids in! :eek:

" great for folding real handles" sounds ace!

Someone once sold loads of shell suits so I've got confidence in this, just need to pitch it to the right buyer.

It might just be the clincher to max out the bids and get me an extra tenner , free bottle of northern monkey climber cleaner or southern fairy liquid depending on postcode.

cheers guys!

Don't forget you won't be quids in by the time you have paid out to everyone who posted, its called copy right :eek:

---------- Post added at 20:37 ---------- Previous post was at 20:31 ----------

Ray You said you had to fish with folded handles when you forgot your sticks and has fish with small buzz bars. You still fail to acknowledge the 'problem' here: 1. What is the original intended purpose of such small buzz bars (too short to for reels side BG side)? 2. Why fold both handles when only one needs to be folded to fit?

Corky you Tw*t, try reading back on the posts, you will see what i said about the Buzz Bars. On the other hand, as your so F88King Boring and sent everyone to sleep, with the same old Sh*te.

You must have clearly sent yourself to sleep also, but more than likely just didn't read the posts correctly, as normal.

ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz

nicepix

Reaction score
Don't forget you won't be quids in by the time you have paid out to everyone who posted, its called copy right :eek:

---------- Post added at 20:37 ---------- Previous post was at 20:31 ----------

Corky you Tw*t, try reading back on the posts, you will see what i said about the Buzz Bars. On the other hand, as your so F88King Boring and sent everyone to sleep, with the same old Sh*te.

You must have clearly sent yourself to sleep also, but more than likely just didn't read the posts correctly, as normal.

ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I've read all your posts Ray. And what you say is that you have a set of buzz bars that aren't big enough to mount your rods on without the reel handles getting in the way. And you won't buy a set that will.

You've also said that you can simply flick your handle into place quicker than an angler with a baitrunner can engage the reel. Yet you haven't explained how you can also tighten the front drag whilst flicking your handle into place. :wh

And, nowhere, despite several direct questions, have you explained what is the point of an angler folding the handle of a reel that does not need to be folded.

So, I don't know what you think you've said. But I do know what you have actually said. And it doesn't answer the question or make sense.

Reaction score
I have read back Ray. You really do have a habit of arguing the toss for this sake of it, even if it means contradicting yourself or avoiding simple questions and getting abusive instead.

You obviously don't know the answer to my original and further questions (and as you said 'don't care), so best leave the thread to more open minded, thinking anglers that are capable of intelligent discussion without the need to resort to vapid insults synonymous with the ill educated.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I've read all your posts Ray. And what you say is that you have a set of buzz bars that aren't big enough to mount your rods on without the reel handles getting in the way. And you won't buy a set that will.

You've also said that you can simply flick your handle into place quicker than an angler with a baitrunner can engage the reel. Yet you haven't explained how you can also tighten the front drag whilst flicking your handle into place. :wh

And, nowhere, despite several direct questions, have you explained what is the point of an angler folding the handle of a reel that does not need to be folded.

So, I don't know what you think you've said. But I do know what you have actually said. And it doesn't answer the question or make sense.

???? ???????????????????????? ZZZZzzzzzzzzZZZZZzzzz

---------- Post added at 21:21 ---------- Previous post was at 21:20 ----------

I have read back Ray. You really do have a habit of arguing the toss for this sake of it, even if it means contradicting yourself or avoiding simple questions and getting abusive instead.

You obviously don't know the answer to my original and further questions (and as you said 'don't care), so best leave the thread to more open minded, thinking anglers that are capable of intelligent discussion without the need to resort to vapid insults synonymous with the ill educated.

ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzZZZZZzzzzzz

---------- Post added at 21:24 ---------- Previous post was at 21:21 ----------

I think you will find that the reel handles are those that just fold down from the touch of a button. You only have to lift the handle to lock them back in place.

I know a few lads who do this, they do it just to keep everything tidy.
Still each to their own

You asked why do some angler fold reel handles

What the Fu*k does that say above, you clearly can't read §the PAIR OF YOU :eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg:

---------- Post added at 21:29 ---------- Previous post was at 21:24 ----------

it does serve a purpose, if like me, you have a small set of buzz bars. I use these with certain reels, but mainly fish individual sticks.

Its not a method i use that often, but its in the locker should i find myself ever having to use it again. Such as when i have left the sticks at home :d

you have read all my posts then have you.

did you miss this then.

I wrote THIS large so you can see it

Reaction score
That's not an answer or reason for folding the handles. It's just another statement saying some people fold them. A bit lack asking 'what is a wheel' and been given the answer 'because it is a wheel' ---------- Post added at 20:34 ---------- Previous post was at 20:31 ---------- I didn't miss your last quote Ray. None of us have. It has prompted some simple questions, presented quite comprehensively that you are either ignoring or are too thick to understand and answer. Which one is it? (To help you, that was another question).

wes79

Reaction score
I can see a brilliant Shakespeare slogan bubbling up out of the water....To fold or not to fold, two reels, one comes with a reel handle and the limited edition one comes with a handle that can be folded to save space :D

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
That's not an answer or reason for folding the handles. It's just another statement saying some people fold them. A bit lack asking 'what is a wheel' and been given the answer 'because it is a wheel' ---------- Post added at 20:34 ---------- Previous post was at 20:31 ---------- I didn't miss your last quote Ray. None of us have. It has prompted some simple questions, presented quite comprehensively that you are either ignoring or are too thick to understand and answer. Which one is it? (To help you, that was another question).

Corky, if you want the out and out answer go and ask each and every angler that folds the reel handles. You will get different answers. You might as well ask why do some anglers use red maggots and others white. You will get different answers.

Funny thing i just got a warning for FM, I replied F**k O** Tw*t, so no doubt i will get the ban, i am so worried i don't know what to do.

But not as worried as you are about folded handles…………...:D

nicepix

Reaction score
I think the whole point of asking a question on a forum is hopefully to receive answers from people who have a valid opinion based on theri own experience.

But not in this case.

Reaction score
Not worried Ray. Just THINKING. You are just one that I appear to have asked, but for some reason you won't provide an actual answer. Maybe you still don't understand the question. Ok as I understand it: Reel handles are folded because there isn't enough room when placed on a very SHORT buzz bar. Ok so far. BUT Why the need for such short buzz bars in the first place? ( clue that's one question you won't answer) Why fold the left most handle when there is space for it?? Clue that's another question you chose to ignore) Why fold any handles at all when on singles sticks? (.....another) Why position single sticks so close together that handles have to be folded, including the left one? (..and another) It's not difficult. You just take each question in turn and answer it.

Last edited:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Not worried Ray. Just THINKING.

You are just one that I appear to have asked, but for some reason you provide an actual answer.

Maybe you still don't understand the question.

Ok as I understand it:

Reel handles are folded because there isn't enough room when placed on a very SHORT buzz bar. Ok so far.

BUT

Why the need for such short buzz bars in the first place? ( clue that's one question you won't answer)

Why fold the left most handle when there is space for it?? Clue that's another question you chose to ignore)

Why fold any handles at all when on singles sticks? (.....another)

Why position single sticks so close together that handles have to be folded, including the left one? (..and another)

It's not difficult. You just take each question in turn and answer it.

Maybe some people just like the look of the handle folded down , its a perfectly valid reason in that its a personal reason.

I by swimming watches , not only for their functionality , but also based on looks.

Life isn't all purely functionality

nicepix

Reaction score
Maybe some people just like the look of the handle folded down , its a perfectly valid reason in that its a personal reason.

I by swimming watches , not only for their functionality , but also based on looks.

Life isn't all purely functionality

I think that the fashion aspect is the only explanation for it Benny. I can't think of a single benefit efficiency wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.