The Greys Bewick and other pin chat thread..

nicepix

Reaction score
Considering that they tend to achieve well in excess of £100, on their rare Ebay appearances, I doubt it. I'd quite like a second one, but haven't seen one for sale since before Christmas.

There was a brief period whereby they went for around £70. But as you say, they have generally been going for over £100 for the last couple of years or more. I can't see their value dropping any time soon. Quite the reverse given the cost of the current model.

Have you considered looking for a Sirata in Oz or the States? It is a Trent in bronze paint.

trotter2

Reaction score
There was a brief period whereby they went for around £70. But as you say, they have generally been going for over £100 for the last couple of years or more. I can't see their value dropping any time soon. Quite the reverse given the cost of the current model.

Have you considered looking for a Sirata in Oz or the States? It is a Trent in bronze paint.

That's before you started discussing them on here :D, You only have to mention something and the prices shoot off on flea bay. Before that they were reduced to sell them all off. Think they all sold for £50 or something similar to get rid .
If there no good for light trotting what do you use them for incidentally ?

sam vimes

Reaction score

I have, but they are prohibitively expensive before you consider import charges. Besides, I doubt my OCD could cope with the colour clash when I match it up with a dark blue Trent!

cheers Sam
I do wonder what the fuss is with Centrepins , not just centrepin wars , but generally.
we used to have a caravan in Bridgnorth during the 60's 70's and as I remember you just open the bail arm and let the float be pulled downstream. Ok sometimes you might need to arrest the float a little with your finger , presumably you don't need to do that with a pin as its natural friction / resistance does that for you but I do wonder whether pins are worth all the extra effort / money from the point of view of what the fish sees.

I have a few now and I'm still not totally sold for certain applications. However, for trotting, they give far superior float control than either closed face or standard fixed spool ever could. That superior float control can and does often give better presentation and more fish on the bank.

That's before you started discussing them on here :D, You only have to mention something and the prices shoot off on flea bay. Before that they were reduced to sell them all off. Think they all sold for £50 or something similar to get rid .

I won't use my Trent for trotting. I bought it (second hand, from a mate for a sensible price) with no intention of doing so. As yet, I've not used it a great deal. I bought it just as the winter grayling trotting campaign kicked off. When I do start using it, it'll be for margin carping and a bit of barbelling on the river.

There's no doubt that they were sold off fairly cheaply a couple of years back. I seem to recall £75 being the best price I ever saw. That certainly affected second hand prices at the time, but most owners just hung onto them until the new stock was sold off. However, since then, you rarely see them for sale. When you do, they tend to go for well in excess of £100. Doing a completed listings search on ebay, for Okuma Trents, shows that just one has appeared recently. It sold for £139 on the 16th of December.

If anyone knows of one going for buttons, or has one tucked away that they don't like and are desperate to be shot of, just give me a shout.;):) I can even offer a, better suited to trotting, Okuma Raw II in exchange.

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score

The reason I don't use mine for light trotting is because they are spooled up with 12lb mono and 80lb braid respectively. I have used the third one trotting for barbel and also trotting for sea fish such as bass off the kayak. I have no doubt that it will handle chub floats in medium flows pretty well, but there are lots of other reels you can use for that. They are probably best used for other things such as ledgering on rivers, deadbaiting for pike, etc. If they had painted it green and called it the Stalker all the carp lads would have one. They are perfect for that.

The residual new stock were sold off by Mularkeys for £99. The problem was that they got a bad reputation from people who had obviously never handled one let alone use one. All sorts of false statements were bandied about including some laughable ones such as you would cut your finger off between the star drag and the spokes. They actually rotate together. Something the trolls hadn't been able to comprehend from looking at pictures.

And there was the 'pin snob brigade with the "I've had a centrepin since 1756 and never needed a drag system". Well, if you just stand on the Trent embankment catching juvenile chub all the time you won't need a drag system. But try your thumb on one of these......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clP97Hp_LVY

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
And there was the 'pin snob brigade with the "I've had a centrepin since 1756 and never needed a drag system". Well, if you just stand on the Trent embankment catching juvenile chub all the time you won't need a drag system. But try your thumb on one of these......

I'm pretty sure I could land a kitten like that easy enough with thumb pressure.
No doubt that spindly weak looking little person in the vid would struggle though.
There are lots of anglers who use centrepins with no drag for margin carp fishing who catch quite large carp no problems whatsoever.

nicepix

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I could land a kitten like that easy enough with thumb pressure.
No doubt that spindly weak looking little person in the vid would struggle though.
There are lots of anglers who use centrepins with no drag for margin carp fishing who catch quite large carp no problems whatsoever.

You stick to catching those same few chub over and over again. After all, you wouldn't want to get your reel dirty.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You stick to catching those same few chub over and over again. After all, you wouldn't want to get your reel dirty.

Hahaha...those chub must travel overland...maybe they can fly :eek:mg:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Moderation note:

We are not doing this again!

The next insulting comment gets the poster banned.

FM has had a relatively long and trouble-free period that the moderation team do not intend to allow to be broken.

Final warning.

Keith M

Reaction score
Here's a typical 9lb'er (not a Chub) which I caught on a pin without a drag, and I've caught most of my Centrepin caught Barbel (plus a few Carp) from my local overgrown small stream/river (the upper reaches of the Lea).

FourthBarbel2_9lb3oz.jpg

I'm not saying that a drag on a Centrepin isn't useful to a lot of anglers but I certainly don't need one when I am trotting a stick and I much prefer a pin without one and I know plenty of well known pin users that don't like them either when they are trotting.

Our very own recently deceased Centrepin wizard Keith Speer caught many of his double figure Barbel up to over 19lb on a Centrepin which didn't have a drag and most of his were caught from the same smaller streams & rivers that I fish.

On the other hand I might find a drag very useful if I we're catching large Cats and Carp on slightly larger waters especially when I were legering and didn't need to trot light sticks downstream.

It's a bit like Marmite, you either love them or hate them but it's certainly not worth falling out about them LOL..

Keith

Last edited:

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
There is no right way or wrong way to use a centrepin reel, if the conditions dictate the drum to be slowed down, then you can use your thumb or a drag system.

The drag systems have been around for decades, it's only in recent years that we have people dictating the right and wrong way to use a pin.

The line can just as easily come of the bottom of a centrepin and go through a line guard, it's personal preference.

There's another Keith on the Ivel who fishes exactly like that, who has an equal record of huge Barbel.

I'm just making the point that there is No Right way to fish a Pin !!

Bob

Keith M

Reaction score
Nice Barbel that Keith . . . . . . .

Thanks Peter

There is no right way or wrong way to use a centrepin reel, if the conditions dictate the drum to be slowed down, then you can use your thumb or a drag system.

The drag systems have been around for decades, it's only in recent years that we have people dictating the right and wrong way to use a pin.

The line can just as easily come of the bottom of a centrepin and go through a line guard, it's personal preference.

There's another Keith on the Ivel who fishes exactly like that, who has an equal record of huge Barbel.

I'm just making the point that there is No Right way to fish a Pin !!

Bob

Absolutely Bob, I agree totally; It depends entirely on the individual and how they like to use their Centrepins and what suits them the best.

Keith

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I caught this one last summer and it was my best float caught barbel (weight wise at least) weighing exactly 11lb 12 ounces...no problems controlling it with thumb pressure either....

Last edited:

tryanythingtwice

Reaction score
I used to fish the Kennett a lot for barbel, always using a centrepin for trotting and quite often for ledgering. There was one spot though that I only ever used a fixed spool. It was a very fast swim with a fallen tree at the tail of it, under which the barbel lived. I baited well upstream of the tree but the fish when hooked inevitably headed back that way. Even though I've used pins for years for fish of all sizes it was still safer, for the barbel to use a fixed spool, with a correctly set drag and the anti-reverse on as it took possible human error, in this case not enough/too much thumb pressure on drum rim, out of the equation. I don't think they were made then, but if the Trent had been available I would have seriously considered using one. Not for trotting though. I once had the pleasure of putting the late, great Ken Clower in the swim. I explained what would happen when he hooked one. He used a post war 4.5" Aerial, ten minutes later he was using a fixed spool, and I seem to remember he was rather good with a centrepin... Horses for main courses as the French say.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I used to fish the Kennett a lot for barbel, always using a centrepin for trotting and quite often for ledgering. There was one spot though that I only ever used a fixed spool. It was a very fast swim with a fallen tree at the tail of it, under which the barbel lived. I baited well upstream of the tree but the fish when hooked inevitably headed back that way. Even though I've used pins for years for fish of all sizes it was still safer, for the barbel to use a fixed spool, with a correctly set drag and the anti-reverse on as it took possible human error, in this case not enough/too much thumb pressure on drum rim, out of the equation. I don't think they were made then, but if the Trent had been available I would have seriously considered using one. Not for trotting though. I once had the pleasure of putting the late, great Ken Clower in the swim. I explained what would happen when he hooked one. He used a post war 4.5" Aerial, ten minutes later he was using a fixed spool, and I seem to remember he was rather good with a centrepin... Horses for main courses as the French say.

Even the finest drag on a reel isn't anything like as precise and as sensitive as my thumb.
I've caught hundreds of barbel using a centrepin (398 in 2013 season) and have never had any problems whatsoever using my hands fingers and thumbs to control the fish and that's fishing with a float right up to and into fallen trees and any other snags that happend to be there.
Mechanical drags have much more chance of malfunctioning than my thumb.

tryanythingtwice

Reaction score
Well Tigger, if you'd have trotted or ledgered right up to this snag, which I consider bad angling practice, you would have lost fish despite your amazing dexterity. The 'give' in the rod would be enough for them to get in the snag, hence the reason for drawing them upstream. Remember I am talking about a specific swim which you have never seen, not generally.

nicepix

Reaction score
Well Tigger, if you'd have trotted or ledgered right up to this snag, which I consider bad angling practice, you would have lost fish despite your amazing dexterity. The 'give' in the rod would be enough for them to get in the snag, hence the reason for drawing them upstream. Remember I am talking about a specific swim which you have never seen, not generally.

There was a swim on the Dearne that held a 12lb+ barbel and the only guy who caught it used a carp pole and very short line. He predicted that if anyone hooked it on a conventional rod and line it would gain enough line to snag the hook. He was right as far as I was concerned. And I had beefed up approach.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

I'm not interested in what you call bad angling practice and no i've never lost one to a snag only to the odd hook pull.
By the way the fish in the picture was caught trotting down to a huge half sunken tree lying along the edge of the river bank which was it's hidey hole and where it headed for as soon as I hit it, as did all the others that day. By the way the rod bends one way but my arm moves the other and I can wind in at the same time... lol.
I'm amazed at all these self elected top anglers who spout utter nonsense...sheer class !