The Greys Bewick and other pin chat thread..

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Absolutely ! Practice is the only way and as S-Kippy says ( more or less ) it's all in the action and taking your time with your hand/eye/body movement coordination when casting....

It's a lovely feeling when it comes right, though, and I've never found line guards necessary, providing, as I say, you take your time...........................and you'll need lots of that !!!

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Heavens, that looks fragile!
To re-bait and (if I remember rightly - it seems so long ago...) unhook small fish, I usually pull the rod back and trap the reel between arm and flank to prevent it from turning. All very well with tough little Trudexes, Aerialites and lumps of lumber, but would those six frail-looking "spokes" of what looks like aluminium alloy really be up to the job of keeping the spool true? Or is it a reel for those who always use the check and a rod-rest?

Keith M

Reaction score
I now use a Sheffield for trotting, which would be perfect apart from the stupid check knob

I agree. The Sheffield is my workhorse for trotting, but that knurled check knob is a very bad design; why they didn't use a well positioned lever that can be switched on and off with a flick of a finger I'll never know.

Keith

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I agree. The Sheffield is my workhorse for trotting, but that knurled check knob is a very bad design; why they didn't use a well positioned lever that can be switched on and off with a flick of a finger I'll never know.

Keith
It is an insane design and spoils an otherwise superb reel. I cannot believe that an angler was involved....or anybody that had any real understanding of the concept of trotting with a centre pin.

GARY WILSON 2

Reaction score
Apologies for the intrusion gents I read your thread with interest it sounds like you are plenty experienced to answer my question... I recently rediscovered a nice trudex at the back of the shed and whilst I remember taking some nice roach and chub on the Roding I must confess it was a cack handed affair and it never really got used beyond a few trots on the inside line. Having found it and wanting to use it again is it limited to light float river work or could it be pressed into use for perch or crucian etc. on still waters ?
Look forward to any advice or comment
Thanks

Last edited:

Jon Leckie

Reaction score
Ok confession Time, I bought the Greys Bewick from e-bay. I went out for the first time today and it didn't run as easily as my old Leeds. Does the reel need 'running in' or is there something I should be doing ?

Jon Leckie

Reaction score
I have now , frankly it seemed quite free running in my chair but on the riverbank it was something else, hopefully some 3 in 1 has done the job

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Oooh.....I wouldn't use 3in1 on a pin. You need a very light oil like sewing machine oil and not very much either. 3 in 1 is too heavy and will emulsify over time and gum things up. Its OK short term but I would get something lighter asap.

As a general rule I clean my pins after every outing which includes wiping all the oil off.They then get re-oiled [1 drop] before going out again.

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I've never oiled mine and it spins perfectly unless I use the wrong line.
It could be your line bedding in which is impairing the free spin on your reel?

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've never oiled mine and it spins perfectly unless I use the wrong line.
It could be your line bedding in which is imparing the free spin on your reel?

Not a good thing to do Peter, you deffo need to oil your reel. If you use a bush reel without oil you'll cause wear to both the bush and spindle. Also the spool simply will not rotate anything like as smooth and easily without oil.
If you run your car without oil it won't perform or last very long...same goes for the reel ;).

pf0x

Reaction score
Bought my first pin last year and tried a few in various different shops. Not sure I'd buy one without trying first because they all felt so different.

Okuma Sheffield - Didn't feel nice. Could hear some 'grinding'. They have a great reputation so assumed it was just a bit of a dud.

Greys Bewick - Small. Did not run anything like as long as any other I tried.

Okuma Aventa Pro - I'd planned to get this originally but, again, something didn't feel quite right and wanted to try a few more first.

Ikonix - This was the cheapest and you could really tell. Maybe it does the job fine but it looked and felt a bit like shed work.

TFG 'Classic' - This felt and looked superb. I was really impressed and bought it on the spot. £50. A line guard is available (I haven't got one though). Had my first try last week. Found it difficult but I expected this.

It reminded me of buying guitars. In the shop they all look the same but when you actually try them they're all totally different.