The Greys Bewick and other pin chat thread..

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Bought my first pin last year and tried a few in various different shops. Not sure I'd buy one without trying first because they all felt so different.

Okuma Sheffield - Didn't feel nice. Could hear some 'grinding'. They have a great reputation so assumed it was just a bit of a dud.

Greys Bewick - Small. Did not run anything like as long as any other I tried.

Okuma Aventa Pro - I'd planned to get this originally but, again, something didn't feel quite right and wanted to try a few more first.

Ikonix - This was the cheapest and you could really tell. Maybe it does the job fine but it looked and felt a bit like shed work.

TFG 'Classic' - This felt and looked superb. I was really impressed and bought it on the spot. £50. A line guard is available (I haven't got one though). Had my first try last week. Found it difficult but I expected this.

It reminded me of buying guitars. In the shop they all look the same but when you actually try them they're all totally different.

The noise with the sheffield will most likely have been the bearings wizzing round, most bearing reels will make rumbling noises when rotating and especially when you spin them fast.
You won't hear the rumbling sound very much when the spool is rotating at a normal speed as when fishing.

The Bewick may not spin for as long but that's not a problem as it's the inhertia needed to start the spool to rotate that's important.

The Aventa pro is a cracking reel but it will make the rumbling sound same as the sheffield.

I'm no fan of the Ikonix.

The TFG classic seems ok but it's not for me, it will also rumble a little due to being a bearing reel.

Some bearing reels will rumble louder than others depending on the bearings in them (even the smae make of bearings will vary).
Bush and pin reels are usually perfectly quiet.

Last edited:

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
Blimus..... 5 pages of discussion and not one mention of Wallis casting or over/under line loading.....

as a case in point I run my line so it's over the top of the reel.... it gives a straighter line to the first ring of the rod and trotting is smoother... Just my little way

I have tried repeatedly the Wallis cast, to no avail, I just use 2 or 3 fingers looped into the line pulling line off the reel in this way.... I have a few pins (7 at the last count) and all are loaded with the line coming off the top of the reel...

it's just something that works for me, I also never put more than 50-60 yards on a pin if I'm stalking and only slightly more if I'm trotting this stops bedding in and allows the reel itself to dry quickly and stops possible corrosion

here's a clip of a Wallis cast..... I can't do it.....:eek:mg: but it may help others

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlEIpFRNPNc

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Arthur,

I find for Wallis casting it's better off the bottom of the reel, but to be honest if I want to cast a long way when float fishing I use a fixed spool.

I went float fishing yesterday and never Wallis cast once, the River Rib does not lend itself to long casts :)

Bob

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
Bob... I've tried "The Wallis" with line coming of the top and bottom of the reel.... it's just me, I can't get it whichever way, so the two/three loop method is for me....:thumbs:

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Why do folk remove the handles? Surley it's safer to use the handles than sticking your fingers in the holes?

nicepix

Reaction score
Why do folk remove the handles? Surley it's safer to use the handles than sticking your fingers in the holes?

Because it is faster and removing the handles reduces the amount of inertia required to start the spool rotating. Perfectly safe and has made sense for over sixty years.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Hello Mark, good to se you postimg bud :).

I never remove the handles, I wind back using several methods whenever i'm out. I use the finger inbetween the spokes / holes, wind in with the handles as normal, use the handles to wizz the spool round to retreive line and also bat the drum.
Usually when winding in a fish, especially a powerfull one I use the handles.

trotter2

Reaction score
Handles can be a potential line trap , by removing them or buying a reel with no handles it removes a hazard for the line to get wrapped around. Also a reel with handles near the edge of the drum can be the cause of a black and blue finger if it gets wrapped in a full blown wallis cast.
I have tried both but prefer my reels to have handles on.

Last edited:

tinca49

Reaction score
I have a selection of centrepins and the one that runs best for trotting is the cheapest one I own, the original Dragon Carp Marco Cortesi!

A close second is my wide drum Speedia, after that my Harlow, I'd use that a lot more if I could just talk myself into modifying the reel foot so it would fit more of my rods! The Harlow came with no handles fitted but they were supplied with it, I prefer to use it with the handles after experimenting with the 'finger in hole' winding method.

I also own a Mordex Merlin which refuses to run well enough for float work so has been consigned to use for barbel fishing close in, love it when the ratchet screeches!

Lastly a 3.75" Aerial which is reserved for my 'ready' rod, the one that stays made up in the garage for when I wander to the end of the garden to fish for roach in the canal.

pf0x

Reaction score
The noise with the sheffield will most likely have been the bearings wizzing round, most bearing reels will make rumbling noises when rotating and especially when you spin them fast.
You won't hear the rumbling sound very much when the spool is rotating at a normal speed as when fishing.

The Bewick may not spin for as long but that's not a problem as it's the inhertia needed to start the spool to rotate that's important.

The Aventa pro is a cracking reel but it will make the rumbling sound same as the sheffield.

I'm no fan of the Ikonix.

The TFG classic seems ok but it's not for me, it will also rumble a little due to being a bearing reel.

Some bearing reels will rumble louder than others depending on the bearings in them (even the smae make of bearings will vary).
Bush and pin reels are usually perfectly quiet.

Thanks tigger. Very informative.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hello Mark, good to se you postimg bud :).

I never remove the handles, I wind back using several methods whenever i'm out. I use the finger inbetween the spokes / holes, wind in with the handles as normal, use the handles to wizz the spool round to retreive line and also bat the drum.
Usually when winding in a fish, especially a powerfull one I use the handles.

I know why folk remove the handles Tig, I just like to see if I get a response from the free masons on here...Didn't take long mate!!

Reminds me, saw a Okuma Trent for sale the other day...£15 all but a penny!!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know why folk remove the handles Tig, I just like to see if I get a response from the free masons on here...Didn't take long mate!!

Reminds me, saw a Okuma Trent for sale the other day...£15 all but a penny!!

Yeah, I thought so, didn't take long did it :rolleyes:.

15 quid....narrrh way to much m8 LOL.

trotter2

Reaction score
Regarding removing handles to reduce inertia. The star drag system on those Trent reels must increase inertia I think ?

nicepix

Reaction score
Regarding removing handles to reduce inertia. The star drag system on those Trent reels must increase inertia I think ?

Yes, I'm sure that it does. But it isn't designed for light trotting. There are other reels in the range that will do that better.

---------- Post added at 09:32 ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 ----------

Moderation note: we are not going to do this again . . . . are we

It rather seems that he has returned from his Sabbatical with an agenda doesn't it?

bennygesserit

Reaction score
cheers Sam
I do wonder what the fuss is with Centrepins , not just centrepin wars , but generally.
we used to have a caravan in Bridgnorth during the 60's 70's and as I remember you just open the bail arm and let the float be pulled downstream. Ok sometimes you might need to arrest the float a little with your finger , presumably you don't need to do that with a pin as its natural friction / resistance does that for you but I do wonder whether pins are worth all the extra effort / money from the point of view of what the fish sees.

however , of course , people can fish exactly how they want.