Big pike are not hard to catch

mikench

Reaction score
My first venture for pike will be with a lure and a spinning rod(20 to 60 gram casting weight ) and as I have an empty spool and an unused spool of 30lb braid I think I will try that!

My main reservation with braid is that on many of my waters it's isn't allowed!:(

steve2

Reaction score
Braid bans are normally in place to protect carp. Braid strength I use between 12lb and 50 lb depending on what rod and lure size. Use 30lb for deadbaiting.

steve2

Reaction score
Braid bans are normally in place to protect carp just another rule change bought in by carp anglers in my clubs. Braid strength I use between 12lb and 50 lb depending on what rod and lure size. Use 30lb for deadbaiting.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Perhaps someone on here could shed some light on this infuriating topic on the point of damage inflicted on fish with the use of ''Braid'', and by this I mean first hand knowledge.
Despite my having used braid for longer than I care to remember, and during that time having taken many hundreds of Pike I cannot recall any instances of fins being amputated. And this despite the fact that the larger specimens have a tendency to roll whilst being played.
I have discussed this at length with many successful lure anglers over the years and found little if any evidence to support such claims. Perhaps it's a phenomenon unique to Carp. And since I don't fish Carp waters, it goes without saying why I've never encountered it! Because I would hate to see braid demonised through wild speculative claims.

steve2

Reaction score
I think the problem on my club lakes was that carp anglers were using heavy braid to drag fish out of weed beds. There is also now a ban on place about fishing over lily beds.
How long it will be before they ban fishing for carp in order to protect them is any ones guess.

flightliner

Reaction score
Still one of the most informative threads ever on FM. If you are into lure fishing for pike it’s well worth wading through, particularly if you haven’t read it before.
Spot on Ray, its nice to see this thread pop up from time to time!
Very sad that Derek is'nt with us anymore to impart some of his pike angling wisdom, such a nice chap too that I considered privaliged to know!! ?

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Spot on Ray, its nice to see this thread pop up from time to time!
Very sad that Derek is'nt with us anymore to impart some of his pike angling wisdom, such a nice chap too that I considered privaliged to know!!

I never had the pleasure of meeting him in person. He seemed like a nice guy and very generous with his knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk