Another Good Stretch of the Trent Ruined

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
:)

But they should...!

That is the point of this thread, things have to change, before we loose it...!

Forever!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

I think that many of us should create the right sort of rapport with the land owners, farmers etc.

A suggestion would be that this coming close season, we should go out in work parties, each armed with bin liners and sticks and clean up stretches of river bank.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Let's just be thankful that we have at least one thread that tries to redress the balance.

This one is knocking barbel anglers rather than carp anglers.

When are we going to realise that we have some selfish, thoughtless anglers in our ranks and what they fish for has absolutely bugger-all to do with it.

Does anyone really believe that the litter louts and trouble makers would change their ways if they changed their species?

Get real.

Lonewolff

Reaction score
Working parties at the end of the season might be too little too late. They need o be an ongoing thing.

G

Gary Knowles 2

Litter isn't a carp anger problem, or a barbel angler problem. It isn't even an angling problem.

It affects the whole of society. It makes my blood boil when I see kids drop crisp or fag packets on the pavement and no doubt their parents do exatly the same.

People are litter louts first, anglers second...

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

One of the worst examples of littering I saw recently was at a trout water.

Three anglers were involved. They knocked off at about 12 noon after blanking and left all sorts of crap on the bank including beer and coke cans, crisp packets, fag packets and several yards of mono.

Another was some years ago on the 40 foot.

A 100 plus match was held in the first Sunday of the season.

On the Monday morning the banks looked like people had been fly tipping.

Van den Eynde groundbait bags and Drennan hook packets are left by anglers - no one else.

B

Big Swordsy :O)

I totally agree with Gary and Graham, litter isnt about fishing its about people's sluvernly attitudes to life and the environment, why pick it up when somebody else will do it for you?

lets start of with ?100.00 instant fine for fag butts and go upto ?1000.00 for lets say a kebab box

anything bigger and you are doing 7 days banged up!

NO TRIAL!! NO ARGUMENT!

Lonewolff

Reaction score
Zero tolerence. Should be the same for clubs. If a fellow member is reported for littering they should be banned for life from the club.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

One of the most stupid arguements I ever heard some time ago was the bloke who said that fishery owners should supply rubbish bins!!!!!

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
And that request is still being asked for today Ron, on some of my fisherries.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
One of the best quotes I heard from an angler last year was -;

I'm not going on a working party to pick litter up, that's what we have bailiffs for.

Lonewolff

Reaction score
I'm gonna dip out of this conversation now before I say something drastic like, "peolpe should bring their kids up to respect the environment and the people in it"! (Though if it were only kids leaving the litter it might be easier to remedy. I'm off to the beginners section to ask anothe silly question.

CAT

Reaction score
well, there are some very good suggestions on how to prevent the problem of proper fishermen having to suffer as a result of mindless litter louts.

Both Bryan and Ron raised some good points on how to prevent the culprits from moving on and spoiling another venue, and maybe we could do a bit more at the end of the season for the farmers and land owners, because the farmer i talked to has a pretty low opinion of anglers in general.

It would be wrong to blame any particular species angler, its the type of people they are that makes them not give a damn about there rubbish they leave behind, not the fish there after.

I like your style Swordsy I'm all for fines, bans, smacks in the mouth, what ever works.
The stretch of bank I'm on about is the one Swordsy did a great article on.

Anyway the fact of the matter is No Night Fishing on both Scunthorpe and Lincoln AA stretches of the Trent, just up from Dunham bridge.
I'm gutted because as we all know the bigger fish tend only to feed confidently at night.

No Night Fishing = No Big Fish

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

And it's all so simple.

Whenever I go fishing I have an Asda bag or something similar which I put my sandwiches in.

At then end of the session it's so easy to pick up all the rubbish, including other people's and dog ends in your swim and put it into the bag to bring home and dispose of properly.

But don't hang it on a tree like myself and John Ledger were witness to on a stretch of the Idle.

Which has now been banned to anglers by the way!!

CAT

Reaction score
It is that simple Ron, its not hard to tidy up after yourself, its common sense but you know what they say about common sense, its not very common.

C

Chris Pearson

What about this then,
Opening night morning I cleared about 50 yards of bank of beer tins and BBQ's that had been left by pre-season poachers and then got a bollocking from a BW lockkeeper for putting the black bag in the rubbish area for boaters.
Ended up taking the whole lot home with me.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
It all boils down to laziness.

The modern culture of laziness, 'It doesn't matter', 'I can't be ar*ed', 'Someone else will do it'.

Applies to almost any topical issue you can think of, this thread, the 'white knuckle middle lane zombies' thread and so on.

People in general need a good kick up the ar*se before it's too late.

Unfortunatly the authorities who should be doing the kicking can't be ar*ed.

CAT

Reaction score
You can't win sometimes Chris, but credit to you for doing the right thing.

Paul, nail on the head mate!