Bass Shambles!

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You need to send out the cryptovariable to everyone if they are to decipher that claptrap.

Pretty well an instant, almost Sun headline "Gotcha!", response from someone (and, doubtless, a me-too knee-jerk / "Okay, Mr Tracy. I've lost it and probably Thunderbirds, too." marionette capering crew) for whom very clever, extremely knowing people like myself pull a few strings and pee ourselves laughing as we watch them predictably dance. If this is what the Online and Offline Awkward Squad have to offer, then my work is done: the rest of the human race has already well and truly sussed you without any prompting or help from me.

Tip: If you are looking to "do someone over", a few of you, then get a whole lot cleverer and learn control.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Pretty well an instant, almost Sun headline "Gotcha!", response from someone (and, doubtless, a me-too knee-jerk / "Okay, Mr Tracy. I've lost it and probably Thunderbirds, too." marionette capering crew) for whom very clever, extremely knowing people like myself pull a few strings and pee ourselves laughing as we watch them predictably dance. If this is what the Online and Offline Awkward Squad have to offer, then my work is done: the rest of the human race has already well and truly sussed you without any prompting or help from me. Tip: If you are looking to "do someone over", a few of you, then get a whole lot cleverer and learn control.

So, you seem to be admitting to spoiling another thread for your personal gratification.

Hoisted by your own petard again I see.

Head so far up your own backside you have started to resemble a doughnut.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
"Virgil, we have a Gotcha and Goodnight Situation."

"Thanks, Brains. As you predicted."

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Moderation note

It seems that kind requests to keep threads on topic and not to stray into personal invective falls on deaf ears.

So, in keeping with the general "bah humbug" season one week bans will be handed out to those who wish to "stir the pot" . . . . .

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I believe that it might now be a Numbers Game, cg - too few fish left to spawn to raise bass numbers overall.

See what happened to the Grand Banks cod - BBC News - Nature's spring: Cod bounce back Fish a population beyond its recovery limit and it can't come back, even when the netting stops: a whole species and ecosystem taken out. The cod mentioned above are crawling their way back, but they'll never return to the "more fish than ocean" state that they once were.

Some big-time a's's need to be kicked. A no-commercial fishing and a no-kill sportfishing moratorium might just do it. Plus some Icelandic-style gunboats. Dream on.

Last edited:

cg74

Reaction score
I believe that it might now be a Numbers Game, cg - too few fish left to spawn to raise bass numbers overall.

See what happened to the Grand Banks cod - BBC News - Nature's spring: Cod bounce back Fish a population beyond its recovery limit and it can't come back, even when the netting stops: a whole species and ecosystem taken out. The cod mentioned above are crawling their way back, but they'll never return to the "more fish than ocean" state that they once were.

Some big-time a's's need to be kicked. A no-commercial fishing and a no-kill sportfishing moratorium might just do it. Plus some Icelandic-style gunboats. Dream on.

Cheers Paul, a logical reason, though I think it's a piece of a complex jigsaw.

The problem with seabass is illustrated perfectly when you do a Google search - it's just recipe after bloody recipe!

nicepix

Reaction score

The problem with seabass is illustrated perfectly when you do a Google search - it's just recipe after bloody recipe!

That might be because seabass is a culinary term Colin. The scientific papers just refer to bass. If you put 'bass' and 'conservation' into a search engine it will filter out the American sport fishing articles :D

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Yes. I wrote the following on page 2 of this thread:

"Just a huge pity that bass are so edible and now so re-sale valuable - everyone and his net and rod and designer kitchen and Gastro Pub wants a piece of them."

Covert subtext of the above: "Put every TV celebrity chef, media foody and poncy retaurateur up against the nearest wall and reach for a .303. These are the £-sign fools who made the British middle classes think "Oh, we must have bass at our next dinner party or when we dine at Rick's in Padstein, if we can get a table. I see that the dear PM always points at piles of Cornish fish in Press photos, too..."

FIRE!

Last edited:

cg74

Reaction score
That might be because seabass is a culinary term Colin. The scientific papers just refer to bass. If you put 'bass' and 'conservation' into a search engine it will filter out the American sport fishing articles :D

Clive, to be honest, I actually wrote; "European seabass" but get your point regards US 'conservation'.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Here is where Rick Stein and the like could have an influence if they wholesale banned the use of even line caught Bass. The market can have an influence here it's bought vegetarian , fair trade and sustainably packaged food to our shelves, if we convince the Tarquins and Jessicas that sea Bass though tasty is poor form then , one piece of the jigsaw might be revealed or put in place.

On another note no one has said "it's all about that Bass" so I will.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Here is where Rick Stein and the like could have an influence if they wholesale banned the use of even line caught Bass. The market can have an influence here it's bought vegetarian , fair trade and sustainably packaged food to our shelves, if we convince the Tarquins and Jessicas that sea Bass though tasty is poor form then , one piece of the jigsaw might be revealed or put in place.

Greta Scacchi and a load of celebs tried to get the "only eat sustainable fish" message across five years ago - Bộ ảnh nghệ thuật ấn tượng chụp với cá của nhiếp ảnh gia Rankin | Vietnam Aquaculture Network - Mạng Thủy sản Việt Nam

Better than nothing, but I still reckon that a Pro-Am Celebrity Chef Kill & Discard, BBCs 1,2 & 4, TV series would help get the message through to the "Because I'm loaded and worth it" of Surrey and the like.

Reaction score
Well, Christmas Eve will see me cooking 6 sea bass fillets and a watercress sauce for dinner.

Lots of frisky little scallops for starter on Christmas day.

After then it will be back to wild salmon....

Going back over 25 years I ate shark, swordfish, monkfish, etc. Not eaten them since and, although delicious, it seems just like killing a tiger or a <insert name of beautiful endangered animal>.

nicepix

Reaction score
Clive, to be honest, I actually wrote; "European seabass" but get your point regards US 'conservation'.

Its the word 'seabass' that appears on menus and recipes whereas European anglers and fishermen just refer to it as 'bass'. Type 'seabass' and you'll be directed into the culinary world.

Aldi used to do a pack of six bass or bream when I was shopping there. The fish were farmed in Turkey and / or Greece I believe. I'm not a lover of bass for eating. I've caught a few, but never taken one for the pot. When eating out at the fish restaurants in Cyprus I would always opt for bream over bass.