best way to kill maggots

alsoran

Reaction score
any idea if it's open on Monday and what the maggot prices are?

Fishperch that is priceless fella, I live in Manchester, how the hell do I know the price of maggots in Burnam.:eek:mg: I just used the Internet and found there was a tackle shop in Burnam, and it gives you there phone number. If you like I'll phone and ask for you shall I??:)

As for how to hook bread flake, size 14's hook, a piece the size of your thumb nail, fold round the hook, along the shank. Where the eye/spade end is pinch together leave the rest to fluff up.

As for how far will it cast, trial and error with whatever style of fishing you are doing.

john step

Reaction score
Thanks for that link. It's got great ideas that I would never of thought of. Can't wait to try some out.

Very, very interesting. I like the big punch idea. I have done similar by taking the crust off a slice and compressing the remainder flat between two boards then cutting pieces to suit with scissors therefore varying the size.

FISHPERCH........I think there is enough now on this subject to satisfy. Don't forget to let us know what you caught.

Last edited:

fishperch

Reaction score
thanks for all the offers guys, i think ill get a few loafs of bread when i get over there from the on site spar shop. turns out I have been missing a good and cheap bait oops :)

---------- Post added at 18:24 ---------- Previous post was at 18:21 ----------

Fishperch that is priceless fella, I live in Manchester, how the hell do I know the price of maggots in Burnam.:eek:mg: I just used the Internet and found there was a tackle shop in Burnam, and it gives you there phone number. If you like I'll phone and ask for you shall I??:) As for how to hook bread flake, size 14's hook, a piece the size of your thumb nail, fold round the hook, along the shank. Where the eye/spade end is pinch together leave the rest to fluff up. As for how far will it cast, trial and error with whatever style of fishing you are doing.

thanks for the offer but I think i may just use bread instead

john step

Reaction score
thanks for all the offers guys, i think ill get a few loafs of bread when i get over there from the on site spar shop. turns out I have been missing a good and cheap bait oops :)

---------- Post added at 18:24 ---------- Previous post was at 18:21 ----------

thanks for the offer but I think i may just use bread instead

Something missing somewhere!

fishperch

Reaction score
i have asd so i struggle to kno wats sarcasm nd wats not so just bear with me

greenie62

Reaction score
i have asd so i struggle to kno wats sarcasm nd wats not so just bear with me

As a guide:
If its a msg I've written - it probably is ;)
If its written by John Step - it might be but he could just be confused:eek::confused:
If its from alsoran - who knows? - funny b*ggers these Mancs! :eek::D

Seriously though - Hope you have a good hols and the fishing goes well - Tight Lines!

fishperch

Reaction score
As a guide: If its a msg I've written - it probably is ;) If its written by John Step - it might be but he could just be confused:eek::confused: If its from alsoran - who knows? - funny b*ggers these Mancs! :eek::D Seriously though - Hope you have a good hols and the fishing goes well - Tight Lines!

lol thanks for the advice

B

binka

I’m useless at killing live maggots with the water method, I either scald them and they go white or I don’t kill them enough (!) in the first place in which case they end up everywhere after waking up again.

Not an issue really as I just freeze them down instead in the bait freezer and they come out perfect, exactly as per how Chefster described earlier when krilling.

If ever I lose the bait freezer I shall simply compile my memoirs of chair modifications and sit and read to ‘em, I reckon they’ll be slitting their own throats after five minutes :D

theartist

Reaction score
I’m useless at killing live maggots with the water method, I either scald them and they go white or I don’t kill them enough (!) in the first place in which case they end up everywhere after waking up again.
:D

They are young you need to explain to them what's right and wrong and what wont be tolerated. Scalding them is never the answer :D

robertroach

Reaction score
Could someone please enlighten me about all this, because I am obviously missing something?
What is the point of using dead maggots? Do fish actually prefer them to live ones, and if so any idea why?