best way to kill maggots

B

binka

Could someone please enlighten me about all this, because I am obviously missing something?
What is the point of using dead maggots? Do fish actually prefer them to live ones, and if so any idea why?

On the side of physical evidence there is the fact that they can't burrow into silty bottoms or crawl down below gravel but there's also many a dark theory (me included under certain circumstances) that on hard fished waters they pick off the better, more wary fish.

And of course the convenience of taking a bag out the freezer instead of driving to the tackle shop to buy some, I also find it more practical to flavour them this way too.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
If I'm struggling for bites on live maggot a change to deads can often change things...if you want a few dead maggots for hookers just take a live one and roll it firmly with your fingertip on your thigh. They are also brilliant for method and groundbait fishing as they stay in the mix and don't crawl out. On the float I find them most effective laid on an inch or two.
Hope this helps Robroach...

john step

Reaction score
On the side of physical evidence there is the fact that they can't burrow into silty bottoms or crawl down below gravel but there's also many a dark theory (me included under certain circumstances) that on hard fished waters they pick off the better, more wary fish.

And of course the convenience of taking a bag out the freezer instead of driving to the tackle shop to buy some, I also find it more practical to flavour them this way too.

Exactly right. Just think how effective casters are and they dont move. Coincidence?
Also I have recently started using frozen casters for the same convenience regarding distance from shops.
I found the ones delivered from Willies Worms top quality and cost effective when taking into consideration diesel costs.

You would think that a predator such as perch would ignore dead maggots. Not so. They seem to know what they are very well.

---------- Post added at 13:12 ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 ----------

i have asd so i struggle to kno wats sarcasm nd wats not so just bear with me

I think most folk suspected something like this and we have been very patient with explanations about bait. Good luck at Burnham.
Let us all know what you catch.

And....if there is something else to take from all this is that you DO NOT need to cast a long way to catch.
I would suggest you walk quietly around the lake LAST THING and flick a good few thumb size pieces of bread in the margins. You will probably be surprised at the fish that start to rise and show themselves close in.

Last edited:

fishperch

Reaction score
Exactly right. Just think how effective casters are and they dont move. Coincidence? Also I have recently started using frozen casters for the same convenience regarding distance from shops. I found the ones delivered from Willies Worms top quality and cost effective when taking into consideration diesel costs. You would think that a predator such as perch would ignore dead maggots. Not so. They seem to know what they are very well. ---------- Post added at 13:12 ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 ---------- I think most folk suspected something like this and we have been very patient with explanations about bait. Good luck at Burnham. Let us all know what you catch. And....if there is something else to take from all this is that you DO NOT need to cast a long way to catch. I would suggest you walk quietly around the lake LAST THING and flick a good few thumb size pieces of bread in the margins. You will probably be surprised at the fish that start to rise and show themselves close in.

yeah ive been known to need lots of explanation on things in various different wordings to fully understand wat us being said

fishperch

Reaction score
a very random question for you guys but do u like popping casters like i do??

fishperch

Reaction score
good afternoon lads ive just returned from a lovley but hot holiday away. I caught quite afew fish in extremily hard conditons every day ( hot,sunny, no clouds and no wind ). I caught roach,rudd,bream and little minnows wen i pullled my landing net out of the water the other day lol. caught a 1lb 4oz rudd on a bread flake tipped with caster and a bream of 4lb 5oz which i was pretty proud of :) thanks for all your help over the past few weeks guys and im pleased to say that ive booked for same time next year

greenie62

Reaction score
good afternoon lads ive just returned from a lovley but hot holiday away. I caught quite afew fish in extremily hard conditons every day ( hot,sunny, no clouds and no wind ). I caught roach,rudd,bream and little minnows wen i pullled my landing net out of the water the other day lol. caught a 1lb 4oz rudd on a bread flake tipped with caster and a bream of 4lb 5oz which i was pretty proud of :) thanks for all your help over the past few weeks guys and im pleased to say that ive booked for same time next year

This is the post John - I've commented the post to 'bump' the thread to show in New Posts.

Glad you had a good time on Holiday - shame the weather was too good! :eek::D:eek:mg:
Tight Lines!

john step

Reaction score
This is the post John - I've commented the post to 'bump' the thread to show in New Posts.

Glad you had a good time on Holiday - shame the weather was too good! :eek::D:eek:mg:
Tight Lines!

Also glad you had a good time with some good fish. Tight lines.... John