Centre Pin Reels

mitron

Reaction score
centre pin reels

whats the best way to spool up a pin my first attempt the line did not bed and was very loose any help appreciated

quickcedo

Reaction score
One more bit of advise.
Know what you want to use the pin for, before you buy it. For instance I bought a Sheffield for my Barbel fishing, which is mainly ledgering. This it performed fine until I fished a river which was shall we say up a bit. The ratchet is too fine to cope and line was being taken by the flow. A bit hard to roll a smoke and pour the coffee when you have to hold the reel.
With advice from a few FM members I bought a Speedia deluxe. This has an adjustable ratchet. Jobs a good un.
The Sheffield on the other hand trots a float beautifully.

mitron

Reaction score
centre pin reels

thanks for the advice lads when you have approx 50mtrs of line on the pin is it normal for it to be to the far side of the spool as opposed to it being evenly distributed across the spool like a fixed spool reel forgive me for my ignorance for the record i have an okuma aventa pro the copper coloured pin

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
is it normal for it to be to the far side of the spool as opposed to it being evenly distributed across the spool
Depends on the reel and how it's been balanced, even the best ones will do that. Trick is when loading your line, the finger and thumb you pinch the line with should be moved from side to side to spread the line across the spool, much like you do with a multiplier reel with no level wind. When you've been using it all day, it will again be bunched up on one side, but try one last trot and when you wind in pinch the line and move your fingers side to side again.

stikflote

Reaction score
I would not go to the trouble of measuring my centre pins ,before loading line,
i can see nothing at wrong with buying a 100yards of line and putting it straight on reel under slight tension ,i always done it this way and never had any problems.
im not some super angler ,i get more my share of blanks but i do use my pins,

there is so much rubbish written about centre pins, which could not be any simpler ,thats all they are a very simple reel,put the line on and go and catch fish

quickcedo

Reaction score
Generally i would agree with stickfloat, except the amount of line. When I put 100yds on I do get "bedding" esp after playing a good fish. 50yds ish this doesn't happen so much.

stikflote

Reaction score
Mark,
i am told bedding in on occurs only on drums that have pins across not on the solid drums of which both mine are, i have never experienced any bedding in
on any of my pins, i dont buy 50 yard spools of line always 100 ,so thats what i use.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
I am the proud new owner of a Marco Cortesi centre pin (discussed to death elsewhere!) however I can see myself using this reel for two thing - margin fishing for carp or tench.... and trotting a float for roach or grayling.

What I was thinking of doing is putting about 50/60 yards of 6lb sensor on for the margin work (maybe less even)... and then putting about 30 yards of drennan floatfish (3lb ish) on top each time I want to go trotting.

Is this a good approach? Or should i be stripping the line of each time i want it to do something different?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
You'll soon get fed up doing that,Jim never mind the joining knot which could well prove to be an issue .... but there isn't much of an alternative other than stripping off and respooling.The best [but not cheapest] solution is two pins....one for margin work & one for trotting. If you like fishing the pin then this is almost inevitably where you're heading.

Personally I would re-spool.

Last edited:

quickcedo

Reaction score
Mark,
i am told bedding in on occurs only on drums that have pins across not on the solid drums of which both mine are, i have never experienced any bedding in
on any of my pins, i dont buy 50 yard spools of line always 100 ,so thats what i use.

Whilst my Speedia reels are more prone to bedding I have encountered it on the Sheffield when using too much line, though not often.
Another reason for "bedding" not metioned so far, when fishing still waters esp the canal line can get covered in polutants which makes it a bit sticky, not something you would notice with a f/s reel. This hinders casting and can cause bedding.
The result of bedding for those who havn't experienced it is..
When w. casting the drum is spun, the line catches at the point of bedding thus taking the line back onto the reel rather than casting out. It's more of an inconvenience than a problem and is soon sorted.
Of course for the maggot trotters it also stops the trot dead in it's tracks.

Last edited:

stikflote

Reaction score
I can honestly say ive not any bedding problems withe my sheffield and line has been on over a season so its never got sticky been used on rivers canal and lakes
,im thinking of changing line this week,
P.S its ultima power line on sheffield

quickcedo

Reaction score
Line choice definately makes a difference. I've been using Maxima the last 2 years without any isssues.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Cheers S-Kippy

I will probably get fed up stripping it - however, I have an old fixed spool reel I was going to push back in to service to assist, ie run the line on to that when it's not needed.

But like you say, it could be worth thinking about two in the future. We'll see how I get on with the first! Maybe a trip to barton court would be nice before the season ends!

elliottwaters

Reaction score
For the angler on a budget wanting a ‘pin can I recommend the Shakespeare Lincoln? Cheap (around £45, less on eBay) rugged and reliable, they spin as freely as reels costing three or four times the price. I bought one on spec via the web several years ago, and when I got it out of the box, I wasn’t that impressed at it looked better suited to catching dabs off the pier rather than trotting a float down my local river. However, a couple of sessions I was converted. Not a tackle tarts or a traditionalist reel as its a bit industrial and doesn’t look “right” with a cane rod, but for the money, you can’t go wrong.

Only down side is that although the Lincoln has a brake to stop the reel revolving, it has no ratchet which rules it out for running water ledgering. If Alvey (the manufacturers) could re-design this reel without the sidecast mechanism and a ratchet they would have a winner.

Another low price favourite is the Leeds. The beauty of these is the wide drum which means you can load them with 50m of two separate BS lines. I have 50M of three bound BS on one side of the drum and 50M of six pound BS on the other. The line I’m not using is then battened down with a thick rubber band. Looks clumsy but it works and means you are geared should you need to switch to a lighter or heavier rig without t the need to take an additional reel.

little oik

Reaction score
I have taken the plunge and bought a secondhand leeds reel .I have yet to use a pin ,so I thought get a cheapish one and see how I get on (Its for tench fishing in the margins.If I get through all the fubars associated with using a pin for the first time then I might treat myself to another one .
Do the ones that come in really loud colours like the Lewthams actually catch you more fish (me nodda a cynic)
Seriously though why dont more manufacturers take on board the Alvey concept of a side cast reel (like the JW rolling pin ) rather than force people to master the Wallis cast ,or is this just to keep the elitism of using the pin

quickcedo

Reaction score
Seriously though why dont more manufacturers take on board the Alvey concept of a side cast reel (like the JW rolling pin ) rather than force people to master the Wallis cast ,or is this just to keep the elitism of using the pin
Simple really, the side cast action causes line twist esp with mono. I sold my rolling pin because of this.

spudgun

Reaction score
The best [but not cheapest] solution is two pins....one for margin work & one for trotting. If you like fishing the pin then this is almost inevitably where you're heading.

That's what I thought when I started with Pins 18 months ago, now it's up to two Sheffields, a Aventa pro for close in margin work, Speedia, Trudex, Rapidex and a Adcock Stanton, looking for a mint match aerial but all my spare cash seems to be going on cane rods at the moment. It's a addiction but luckily compared to some I know I only seem to have a mild case.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
It really isn't that hard to learn to Wallis cast competently.Its the logical way of casting from a pin and you'd be surprised how easy it is to pick it up. By competent I mean good enough to get by which is all you need 99% of the time. Style marks are irrelevant.

---------- Post added at 21:29 ---------- Previous post was at 21:25 ----------

That's what I thought when I started with Pins 18 months ago, now it's up to two Sheffields, a Aventa pro for close in margin work, Speedia, Trudex, Rapidex and a Adcock Stanton, looking for a mint match aerial but all my spare cash seems to be going on cane rods at the moment. It's a addiction but luckily compared to some I know I only seem to have a mild case.

Ha ha ha....by two pins I meant AT LEAST two. There is always room for one [or two] more.

spudgun

Reaction score
I'm still casting by pulling between the rings but as for style it still looks like a full body sneeze, works for me though, just need to find someone who can teach me to wallis cast, I can't learn it from a post or YouTube.