Folded Reel Handles - WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes Ray, it may be easy enough to pick up and fold the handle back into place,but why have them folded in the first place? It serves no purpose- unless of course an angler bought a pod to small to house his reels or vice versa.

Exactly, but then I am sort of "old school" when it comes to my Carp fishing, hells bells I still use a pod mat . . . . . . .

A couple of seasons ago at Todber Manor I had a late-teen angler come up and ask me what the mat was for?

I told him it was the latest fashion (s n i g g e r ) [to avoid the auto corrector LOL] and it protects your expensive big pit reels from grit thrown up by the rain, and it also avoids problems when fishing slack lines . . . . . . . 3 weeks later the tackle shop at the Manor had a huge supply on their shelves and the assistant told me that they were selling quicker than they could buy them in . . . . . . . .

I made mine about 25 years ago from a small sheet of green canvas with a few eyelet holes punched in that take shortened tent pegs, and then later made a new version to fit under my whole rod pod and using the pods legs as the pegs . . . . . . or you can get a Nash-y version, here:

Nash Rod Mat - Todber Manor Fishery

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
...or just fish with the reels positioned further from the ground so they don't get splash back...

No self respecting tackle tart would have his rods that high off of the ground Matt, what were you thinking . . . . .

The original reason for a pod mat was actually to stop the backwash messing up your monkey climbers . . . . . . . anyone remember those?

wes79

Reaction score
peter-c-vey-he-does-look-pretty-silly-but-as-long-as-he-keeps-catching-those-eight-p-cartoon.jpg

terry m

Reaction score
That's the point Terry - what is the advantage in fishing with folded handles?

Yes Ray, it may be easy enough to pick up and fold the handle back into place,but why have them folded in the first place? It serves no purpose- unless of course an angler bought a pod to small to house his reels or vice versa.

Perhaps it is a way of challenging your own angling skills by having to unfold and engage the handle before striking. The really competent 'Geezer Anglers' store their reel handles in their tackle bag, when they get a run they have to rummage through their bag, refit it, then think about hitting the run...... :wh

sam vimes

Reaction score
Perhaps it is a way of challenging your own angling skills by having to unfold and engage the handle before striking. The really competent 'Geezer Anglers' store their reel handles in their tackle bag, when they get a run they have to rummage through their bag, refit it, then think about hitting the run...... :wh

Terry, no joke, I did once encounter someone fishing reels without the handles fitted. He had teeny weeny buzz bars that his reels wouldn't fit on with the handles fitted. He didn't feel the need to buy reels with quick fold handles or, much more sensibly, wider buzz bars.

The bad one

Reaction score
Bloody hell Matt that’s the aspirational and ultimate Guesting tool for escaping the Tatton Rangers. Stop giving them ideas PLEASE!

terry m

Reaction score
Terry, no joke, I did once encounter someone fishing reels without the handles fitted. He had teeny weeny buzz bars that his reels wouldn't fit on with the handles fitted. He didn't feel the need to buy reels with quick fold handles or, much more sensibly, wider buzz bars.

My tongue was firmly in my cheek when I typed that Sam. Anglers that fish in that way really need to take a long look at themselves.:eek:

---------- Post added at 11:35 ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 ----------

How long before we see Angler's tsing telescopic rods CLOSED DOWN on a pod because the look cool/tidy?

Just scanning t'interweb to try to find 12ft 3.5lb TC rods that collapse down to 8" but still accommodate a big pit reel (without handles).

greenie62

Reaction score
Just scanning t'interweb to try to find 12ft 3.5lb TC rods that collapse down to 8" but still accommodate a big pit reel (without handles).

Try looking under the Sea-Angling sections for Telescopic Beach Casters - only snag is the smallest they'll telescope down to is about 18"! To make it really challenging try a Multiplier with no handle! ;):rolleyes:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
That's the point Terry - what is the advantage in fishing with folded handles?

It does serve a purpose, if like me, you have a small set of buzz bars. I use these with certain reels, but mainly fish individual sticks.

The times i have fished with folded handles, I have had bigger reels, and the handles do hit the other reel on the buzz bar. To solve them problem, FOLD THE HANDLES, not rocket science.

I couldn't fish single sticks as i didn't have enough sticks with me, and there is no point buying bigger buzz bars to use a few times a year at most.

So it serves a very good purpose.

By the time you have turn your handle to engage the bait runner, and struck. I have struck, and folded the handles back in place with just a flick.

Its not a method I use that often, but its in the locker should i find myself ever having to use it again. Such as when I have left the sticks at home :D

The other point being, how can any of you go on about folded handles if you have never tried it, or even know how to get the handles locked in place whilst striking.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You're right. It's not rocket science. I've done a root cause failure analysis on the problem. It took less than one second to do, which is pretty cool.

The very clear, obvious conclusion is that the buzz bars are two short for purpose. They did not meet the design brief and they do not need to be so short.

The bad one

Reaction score
It would be very difficult with the crop of BPs on the market at the moment to fold out and lock the handle as most have to be locked with the locking screw on the other side of the reel. The only make of the current crop that has the snaplock system are the Daiwa reels.

With the locking screw system and the type of handles on them, you have to locate the dog peg correctly push it into the receiving housing and tighten the screw to fix it in position. All this whilst holding the rod with one hand and a fish pulling away on the end of the line. Finicky with two hands let alone one hand and I'm more than competently dextrose.

Reaction score
If folding the reel handles is just a 'work round' to the space problem caused by unnecessarily short buzz bars then only one handle needs to be folded. The other can sit there quite happily unfolded.

Yet we still them with both handles folded. Clearly by anglers that think it 'looks good' to do it and who cannot see the cause of the problem and the simple solution.

Another 'work round' is to use a left hand wind and a right hand wind. It solves the problem better than folding the handles.

Or just get buzz bars that are a couple of inches longer (if there's enough room on the 15ft wide platform).

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
..."more than competently dextrose"

How sweet! (badoom-tshhhh drummer smiley here, please)

One of predictive text's more benevolent little japes, I suppose?

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
It would be very difficult with the crop of BPs on the market at the moment to fold out and lock the handle as most have to be locked with the locking screw on the other side of the reel. The only make of the current crop that has the snaplock system are the Daiwa reels.

With the locking screw system and the type of handles on them, you have to locate the dog peg correctly push it into the receiving housing and tighten the screw to fix it in position. All this whilst holding the rod with one hand and a fish pulling away on the end of the line. Finicky with two hands let alone one hand and I'm more than competently dextrose.

Yes Phil Diawa, far better than the screw in handle, job done with one flick.

---------- Post added at 10:29 ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 ----------

If folding the reel handles is just a 'work round' to the space problem caused by unnecessarily short buzz bars then only one handle needs to be folded. The other can sit there quite happily unfolded.

Yet we still them with both handles folded. Clearly by anglers that think it 'looks good' to do it and who cannot see the cause of the problem and the simple solution.

Another 'work round' is to use a left hand wind and a right hand wind. It solves the problem better than folding the handles.

Or just get buzz bars that are a couple of inches longer (if there's enough room on the 15ft wide platform).

Well i am not fishing a 15ft platform for a start, nor do i need to buy bigger buzz bars, as i said before and gave the reason.

It has nothing to do with looking good, not on my part, its handy if i am using my bigger reels on the buzz bar, thats all.

Have any of you tried it yet ?? NO, cos you may well have the stupid screw in handles that take for ever to lock in place.

It's also handy when going up river in a Canoe……………….:D

Status
Not open for further replies.