Late summer/Autumn Trent barbel fish-in

• Thread starter Herr General Swordsy
  • Start date

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
sounds good to me!

Easiest way to Collingham from Bristol way would be up M5, round M42, up A42 to the M1, take junction 25 (I think) onto A52, follow that under Nottingham and out the other side then follow signs to Newark then Collingham.

Probably.

Long old drive though.

About two and a half hours from Bristol to Derby at least then about 45 mins to an hour from Derby to Collingham, well that's how long it took me anyhow.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
It will be worth it Paul, you can show me that rig, without that top swivel, hehe.

I normally fish 1/4 ounce leads, plain running rigs! 2 ounce max! when it's up!

Can I use my 2lb t/c carp rods?

Paul B

Reaction score
there's a link on the summer fish-in thread showing the o/s map of collingham; when you get to the village look for signs showing'river trent' to get to weir pool car park(last bit down a dirt track)
reckon your 2lbers will be okay; I was using 2-3oz on a 1.5lber with a gentle lob. you'll need tall banksticks with good points or a tall pod, cos the banks are near solid with rocks.
all assuming it,s at collingham again.

Paul H

Reaction score
Rigs no problem.

Carp rods are fine, only draw back is lack of bite indication at night. Not that I had many bites. :0(

I was on one 2.5lb Abu carp rod and one similar test Abu avon quiver. I felt much more confident with the quiver and in fact landed my only fish with that rod.

It is however about two inches shorter now for reasons I shan't elaborate on. Wouldn't want to incriminate anyone. Just don't go for a walk when anyone from Leamington is near by.

:0)

Paul B

Reaction score
thought you were very calm when that happened... could have had a ****y fit ;-)

M

matt thomas

DOG BISCUIT-i have a spare bivvy,just say the word and i will bring it

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
"the Word"

Cheers matt I would appreciate that, it seems pointless me buying one because I would hardly ever use it.

I have alarms and a normal pod, do I need a special pod which points the rods up in the air, which I have seen on some pictures of people fishing the Trent?

I intend to drive up Friday midday, that should give me plenty of time to set it up!! haha

Paul H

Reaction score
DB, I used extendable bank sticks and found them to be perfectly useable. Rods pointing up though does keep the drag on your line down substantialy and give better bite indication for the Bream who don't always run off with the bait, specially not towing a 4 or 5oz lead.

B

Big Swordsy :O)

If we fish Collingham as it seems we will, I will also be there Friday this time!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Nice one Lee.
Can you tell me what sort of end tackle I will need because the heaviest I use are 2oz flat leads!

Thanks

Steve

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay

That depends on the level of the river, where you are fishing and the height of the tide.

I carry a selection of leads up to 5 oz or so and most of the time use 3 or 4 oz. A few are watch leads, a few are flat ones I got from Merv Wilkinson and Tref West over the years. And a few are made by Korda.

I also use long hook lengths up to 4 feet.

B

Big Swordsy :O)

DB you should have some 3 and 4 oz leads but 2oz are ok in parts.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
When I've fished the beach I prefer to keep the rods high. The higher they are the less lead is required to hold bottom.

The peg I fished during the fish in required me to climb down to the water each time I hooked a fish. Therefore I set up higher up the bank meaning I didn't need the rods so high.

Steve, you can sometimes get away with 2oz leads (we certainly could during the fish in because the water was so low) but I always take leads up to 6oz with me with 8oz ones in the car. I've never needed to use the 8oz leads but I've often used 6oz.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I was thinking, we could book the first 20 pegs (ie. 1a to 19) and the first 20 anglers to pay their share would go into a draw to see who gets which peg.

The drawback would be that we would all need to be there at the draw.

Does anyone have any further ideas?