Lower itchen fishery

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I'll try and do a blow by blow live report Sunday, depending on the signal strength.
****y mate, when I saw you had posted on this thread my first thought was you were coming down too...
I really hope this will kick off a restart of more FM fish-ins, as it is( from my personal experience) the ultimate way to put faces to the names, not to mention that poster who you were rude to on the site arrives, and is 6' 6" tall and scary....:eek:mg:

Reaction score
:w
When I saw you had posted on this thread my first thought was you were coming down too...
I really hope this will kick off a restart of more FM fish-ins, as it is( from my personal experience) the ultimate way to put faces to the names, not to mention that poster who you were rude to on the site arrives, and is 6' 6" tall and scary....:eek:mg:

Wish I was coming along Simon, but have just started a new job and things are very busy at the mo...

It's great to see socials being organised again on FM,

As you know mate, the legendary FM Fish-Ins were such a feature of past and happy times on this site...

I can honestly say I have made a load of lifelong freindships through Fish-Ins....

Except Chatty Man, of course, he's a twonk and always will be!

Have a great trip chaps and make sure someone responsible beats up Windy for the peg fees at the end of the day, or PJ'll set his German legal team on you! :)

Last edited:

Windy

Reaction score
Then how come the Met Office forecast looks good for the day:confused::confused:;)

That is seriously worrying me. What is it is going to happen to me in the next 30 hours to completely disable me and prevent me from attending ???? Gulp. Can't explain the forecasts any other way, if accurate

I'll be pleased to volunteer Windy.

Thank you Jerry, thank you thank you so much ;)

I never thought I would get to grips with this damned overdraft :cool:

PS. You can send my Christmas cards to Hotel Paradiso, Rio*. Care of the bloated fat white bloke sitting by the pool in the sun. Being rained upon by an unseasonal and unexpected individual sized rain cloud :wh

* in the room next to that other famous collector of subs, MoreSpiders....

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Unfortunately my good friend PJ is still in Germany and not likely to be there on Sunday. So I will take his ticket and join you guys on what is the best Chalk Stream fishing in the South of England.

We'll sort the money out on the day but the end result will be a cheque/transfer to Peter asap.

Looking forward to it, weather is looking good, water levels and pace even better and the whole river will have received yet another flush through.

003676x507.jpg

Windy

Reaction score
We'll sort the money out on the day but the end result will be a cheque/transfer to Peter asap.

If that's you volunteering for the task then I am more than happy to pass it over to you, better a volunteer than ten pressed men (thanks Jerry :( Was happy to do it but Neil is a site Mod (and solvent :wh) so definitely more appropriate).

Plus which it means I don't have to kill myself to be there for sparrow fart... given that my ability to get out of bed early on a freezing Sunday morning* is almost as poor as my weather luck.

---------- Post added at 14:51 ---------- Previous post was at 14:37 ----------

Quick bit of brain picking / advice:

Going to stick to a single rod / single small bagg roving approach tomorrow (it's warmer than standing still for a start !)

Couple of pints of red maggots, primary bait, check...

Secondary / tertiary bait advice ? Can't use worms, see LIF rules, so what else is (a) good for Grayling specifically, (b) good for a faster than usual moving Itchen (c) possibly carrying a little colour and (d) not too bulky or heavy, that roving thing, remember.

Bread ?
Sweetcorn ?
Smelly paste ? And if so then cheese or fish base ?

A.N.Other killer special for the species I'd never think of.... ?

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I would have loved to have joined you all but sadly work has to come first, dammitt!

Still, I'm home on Thursday for the entire holiday and not going back until January 7th, so a decent break at long last.

Tight lines to all for Sunday

barbelboi

Reaction score
If that's you volunteering for the task then I am more than happy to pass it over to you, better a volunteer than ten pressed men (thanks Jerry :( Was happy to do it but Neil is a site Mod (and solvent :wh) so definitely more appropriate).

Plus which it means I don't have to kill myself to be there for sparrow fart... given that my ability to get out of bed early on a freezing Sunday morning* is almost as poor as my weather luck.

---------- Post added at 14:51 ---------- Previous post was at 14:37 ----------

Quick bit of brain picking / advice:

Going to stick to a single rod / single small bagg roving approach tomorrow (it's warmer than standing still for a start !)

Couple of pints of red maggots, primary bait, check...

Secondary / tertiary bait advice ? Can't use worms, see LIF rules, so what else is (a) good for Grayling specifically, (b) good for a faster than usual moving Itchen (c) possibly carrying a little colour and (d) not too bulky or heavy, that roving thing, remember.

Bread ?
Sweetcorn ?
Smelly paste ? And if so then cheese or fish base ?

A.N.Other killer special for the species I'd never think of.... ?

I'm taking red maggots as my primary bait backed up with caster and a can of JGG.
Jerry
PS pomegranate seeds can also work well.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Red maggot = anything that swims, particularly Grayling and all spotted varieties. Good back up will be corn, Grayling love that too.

Blitzed bread either loose fed or in a cage feeder, flake or punch on the hook, less effective for Grayling but if you can find the fisheries specimen Roach.....

Chub in localised abundance as with the Barbel, less numbers but becoming more widespread. Maggot/caster feeder works well.

I'm expecting a really pacey river with a tinge of colour but loads of clean gravel. Will want to favour trotting and will probably need a big Chubber float or similar with plenty of bulk shotting, no need for too much finesse, just control of the float at range. Constant, but little loose fed maggot will bring the Grayling in, too much and the Browns, SeaTrout and Salmon may well put in an appearance to liven up the proceedings (the Itchen is the only river I've done the Grand Slam of spotted cousins on the float!). Bait dropper may come in handy if it's really pacey.

Packing a feeder rod as a viable alternative.

Need to check if the upper Arches Beat is available tomorrow. Long way upstream but worth it. Hopefully the track is negotiable by car, if not there's some long walks involved.

Looking forward to it having spent the day wandering around various shopping emporia :confused:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
The river is quite pacey and it's a bit windy but I have caught 4 grayling so far, along with a brown trout. Jerry has had 7 grayling just upstream from me.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Not seen the LIF that pacey for quite a while. The fish seemed to be localised and although I struggled to find some Grayling, others did. The Brown Trout livened up the proceedings and I finally hit something that definitely wasn't a Grayling. Led me a merry dance on a #18 but finally found the net :)

002.jpg

003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

010-1.jpg

I think everybody managed to catch, even Windy who turned up fashionably late. Good to put faces to a couple of forum names, it was fun :)

frothy

Reaction score
Great day and always nice to meet some fellow anglers, a big thanks again to barbelboi and Peter Crabtree :)

Windy

Reaction score
The Duvet won the battle for the morning...

But the weather behaved itself for once, and although I didn't catch any Grayling I was pleased with the pair of Brownies that decided to cooperate.

Nice to meet up with you all, like to do it again in January when cold and crisp and still and clean (and after payday ;)) and then my birthday again in February, so anyone else interested in making up a party gimme a pm.

I really don't have the skills to fish a river pushing through at that speed. My fishing skills were learned and honed on the Suffolk Stour, a river which moves at a speed akin to pouring over-thickened gravy and has the same clarity.

A clear chalk stream moving at that speed is a really big learning curve. Not quite as hopeless as I was the first time I visited, but I need some more experience and hints to deal with fast water. As a float fisherman by preference... is ledgering the way to go ?