Paddler caught out on film displaying true attitude...

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
As soon as personalised number plates get mentioned, I think of someone I know of who has a plate VERY like their surname, and has neatly subverted the whole concept by keeping it on a Skoda. :)
That's both class and liberation from class (innit?).

Chevin

Reaction score
As soon as personalised number plates get mentioned, I think of someone I know of who has a plate VERY like their surname, and has neatly subverted the whole concept by keeping it on a Skoda. :)
That's both class and liberation from class (innit?).

Good one Alan I like it. Here is a similar example.

RHNT5o.jpg

You can see my personalised plate on the front of a car that maceo estimates to be worth 150 thousand pounds! In actual fact, it is a 2005 Kia Optima which would be worth a lot less than a tenth of that, but sadly maceo is more in tune with Alice in Wonderland than he is with reality. I guess that in one respect perhaps I owe him an apology because I forgot to mention that I have an electric and remote garage door opener.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I have an electric and remote garage door opener.

[Sniffily] Bloated plutocrat! ;):D

---------- Post added at 10:14 ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 ----------

Just checked - more like one forty-fifth (Kelley blue book, assuming mere "good" condition and standard fittings).
I must keep my eyes peeled - if they use them in Oz, where you DAREN'T break down, they must be good.

Last edited:

greenie62

Reaction score
As soon as personalised number plates get mentioned, I think of someone I know of who has a plate VERY like their surname, and has neatly subverted the whole concept by keeping it on a Skoda...

Similarly - to afford a personalised plate I've looked at the costs of changing my name - via 'deed poll' or 'statuatory declaration' - to match the vehicle reg! My mam's not too happy about me changing my name to Greenie Charlie Kilo - but Hey! - I've now got a personalised plate at a fraction of the cost DVLA would have charged! :eek::eek:mg:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I've now got a personalised plate at a fraction of the cost DVLA would have charged!

That's a bit like the chap who went to his Washington bank for a loan for $5,000 for two weeks business trip to the UK.

Typically the bank wanted security for the loan so he offered them his Rolls Royce car, which they immediately accepted, and promptly took the Roller to their underground car park

Upon his return he called into the bank to repay the loan plus the $25.00 interest.

The bank manager was rather surprised as the bank had checked that this chap had over a million bucks in his account, so they wondered why he had to borrow the $5,000 in the first place.

The chap replied that he didn't actually need the $5,000 . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . but where else could he park his car, safely in Washington for 2 weeks for just $25.00?

maceo

Reaction score
I didn't want to offend anyone and I was very worried about getting banned. As I said before, I find this forum very useful indeed for posing questions and improving my very modest fishing skills. It occurred to me that in my opening post I did forget to mention that the paddler was just as much of an aggressive nit as the angler - a major omission. He was indeed a twit. Especially after he'd been warned he shouldn't have paddled in that bit of water. However the angler would have been far better to just have filmed in silence and reported it later rather than getting involved in a shouting match which I still maintain would have ruined his swim far more effectively than the canoe going through it.

As for 'my people, your people', well I do think it's a bit like that in the 21st century.

The world has split into two: those on top and those on the bottom. Nobody can deny that for the past few decades the rich have got richer and the poor have got poorer. As one of those on the bottom, I feel that I regularly get chivvied and harried and monitored and downsized and zero-hoursed and treated like dirt on the bottom of their shoe by those on top. Some of those on the top have a tendency to wave their wealth in our faces and do the "considerably richer than yow" thing. I think personalised number plates are sometimes a part of that.

So that is what I meant by 'getting some of our own back'.

Chevin

Reaction score
[Sniffily] Bloated plutocrat! ;):D

---------- Post added at 10:14 ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 ----------

Just checked - more like one forty-fifth (Kelley blue book, assuming mere "good" condition and standard fittings).
I must keep my eyes peeled - if they use them in Oz, where you DAREN'T break down, they must be good.

Mine is in immaculate condition with only 50,000kms on the clock. I bought it off a neighbour when her husband died so I know the kms are genuine. It is the best car I have had after the Rover 2000TC I had when I lived in the UK. I Don't use the Optima much, I don't travel much at all these days. I just enjoy it's comfort on the short runs I do. When I travelled a lot more with 12hour runs (1300 kms) I used Holden Statesman cars that had 5ltr V8 engines. They weren't especially comfortable, but you could drive them for 12 hours and remain reasonably fit.

---------- Post added at 19:58 ---------- Previous post was at 19:38 ----------

I didn't want to offend anyone and I was very worried about getting banned. As I said before, I find this forum very useful indeed for posing questions and improving my very modest fishing skills. It occurred to me that in my opening post I did forget to mention that the paddler was just as much of an aggressive nit as the angler - a major omission. He was indeed a twit. Especially after he'd been warned he shouldn't have paddled in that bit of water. However the angler would have been far better to just have filmed in silence and reported it later rather than getting involved in a shouting match which I still maintain would have ruined his swim far more effectively than the canoe going through it.

As for 'my people, your people', well I do think it's a bit like that in the 21st century.

The world has split into two: those on top and those on the bottom. Nobody can deny that for the past few decades the rich have got richer and the poor have got poorer. As one of those on the bottom, I feel that I regularly get chivvied and harried and monitored and downsized and zero-hoursed and treated like dirt on the bottom of their shoe by those on top. Some of those on the top have a tendency to wave their wealth in our faces and do the "considerably richer than yow" thing. I think personalised number plates are sometimes a part of that.

So that is what I meant by 'getting some of our own back'.

You have the ability to write well, you construct your postings well and make your self understood. Why not leave your politics off sites of this nature and work hard on your writing skills? It is not easy to get into the journalistic world, I know from experience, and it is not very high paying work, but it does put a bit of extra money in your pocket. Who knows, you might strike it lucky and and find a niche that provides you regular employment from which you can earn a lot of money. But one of the first thing I learned when I was trying to break into the journalistic world in the modest way I have achieved, is that you MUST produce work that people want to read and work that does not upset the people you are trying to reach. At this point I am trying to offer you genuine aid, perhaps you could stand back for a little while and think of what I am saying. Financially we are probably not far apart, we just have different opinions of how others stand in the world and how a lot of them get there. All envy does is blunt your own appreciations of opportunities as they arise.

thecrow

Reaction score
I did forget to mention that the paddler was just as much of an aggressive nit as the angler

I didn't hear the angler swearing or being aggressive, what I did hear was the angler replying to the paddler who asked if the angler wanted his name and address (proof that he knew he was in the wrong) and then refusing to give it when the angler said yes.

When the paddler refused to give his name and address the angler asked if he was chickening out, that's all I heard no aggression from the angler all of that came from the paddler.

Going on the anglers voice I have a feeling that I know him, if he is who I think it is he is far from being a twit, perhaps you should not be so quick to judge others who don't happen to fit in with your views of the world.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
To be honest if one looked at the video completely in isolation it was difficult to say definitively what had preceeded it.

thecrow

Reaction score
To be honest if one looked at the video completely in isolation it was difficult to say definitively what had preceeded it.

What had preceeded it benny was the paddler coming onto a private stretch of river from an illegal entry point and his attitude was proof enough for me that he knew he was acting illegaly .

bennygesserit

Reaction score
What had preceeded it benny was the paddler coming onto a private stretch of river from an illegal entry point and his attitude was proof enough for me that he knew he was acting illegaly .

Sorry I mean't if you looked only at the video itself as your primary source of evidence.
I agree that using an illegal entry point is a potentially pretty serious form of trespass and one that paddlers cannot squirm out of but my point was it wasn't shown in the video and neither were any of the previous exchanges with the angler.

Like the Martin Gay thread there is no proof of anything other than the paddler looked like a bit of an ****hole.

I agree with you that paddling outside the PRN is in my opinion trespass , I am not a paddler and I don't own a canoe, all I am saying is the video doesn't tell me too much.

If you know the guy who shot the video ( is it BINKA ? ) then you probably know what went on before , in his opinion.

B

binka

Sorry I mean't if you looked only at the video itself as your primary source of evidence.
I agree that using an illegal entry point is a potentially pretty serious form of trespass and one that paddlers cannot squirm out of but my point was it wasn't shown in the video and neither were any of the previous exchanges with the angler.

Like the Martin Gay thread there is no proof of anything other than the paddler looked like a bit of an ****hole.

I agree with you that paddling outside the PRN is in my opinion trespass , I am not a paddler and I don't own a canoe, all I am saying is the video doesn't tell me too much.

If you know the guy who shot the video ( is it BINKA ? ) then you probably know what went on before , in his opinion.

The link below is a thread from some time ago Benny, the group of paddlers in question were the same group that were filmed in the recent video which has been taken down by the poster pending the outcome of a formal Police complaint.

I won't comment on who filmed the clip, except to say that if it was me then I would be damn proud of standing up to them despite a sole persons complete misinterpretation to the contrary and what I suspect is a very deliberate overlooking and downright inaccurate translation of the facts due to his own militant tendencies.

Several other anglers have also come into conflict with the same group of paddlers on stretches of river where these paddlers have no legal or moral right to be, on at least one other occasion narrowly avoiding coming to blows and on each attempt to clarify the legal position to them the same foul mouthed tirade and militant attitude prevails.

If no one makes a formal complaint then nothing will get done, as it stands it's still far easier for the Police to try and dismiss the complaint for whatever technicality they see fit but once the Police start getting inundated with complaints then they will soon see it as a far easier option to address the problem paddlers rather than keep responding to an endless list of complaints which they would be duty bound to do.

Something worth thinking about if anyone is a member of a club with a reasonable sized membership.

http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/...-irresponsible-paddlers-whats-going-take.html

thecrow

Reaction score
If you know the guy who shot the video ( is it BINKA ? ) then you probably know what went on before , in his opinion

Benny I said I thought I might know who it was not that I knew who it was. I only thought that because of the accent but I could be very mistaken.

I only know what was on the video the same as anyone else that saw it, it would be wrong to surmise that anything else had taken place other than the obvious by the paddler.

---------- Post added at 18:55 ---------- Previous post was at 18:50 ----------

I won't comment on who filmed the clip, except to say that if it was me then I would be damn proud of standing up to them despite a sole persons complete misinterpretation to the contrary and what I suspect is a very deliberate overlooking and downright inaccurate translation of the facts due to his own militant tendencies

Totally agree, whats that saying about one good man doing nothing?

Last edited: