Particle preparation

• Thread starter John Broomfield
  • Start date
J

John Broomfield

Do you need to pre soak then boil small seed blends such as Haiths multi seed blend before use.

D

Dave Rothery

most seed blends like partiblend only need to be put in boiling water and brought back up to the boil. i tend to boil it up the day before, which'll give it a bit of soaking time to make sure (and a bit of fermenting time too....)

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
As with all my particles John, I soak them up for 48 hours then boil them for 30minutes to an hour depending on the particle. I find this helps the hydrating process and brings the seed/particle back to life before the cooking starts.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Personally I'd soak the lot for 48 hours, then bring to the boil and cook for 30 minutes. For actual hookbaits, take a handful out of the pan about half way through the process (15 minutes in) which allows them to remain a tad harder than the loosefeed.
Just for info, I'd actually por in some mollasses at the beginning of the soaking process for flavouring so when the hydrating begins, the flavouring is being absorbed. If you haven't got mollasses to hand then pour in 2lb of sugar.

Jonathan Williams

Reaction score
Stuart,

thanks for that! How long can you store the prepared maize for? I allways store it in some of the liquid, is this needed?

cheers

jon

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
I'd imagine it would keep for a few days before the fermenting has passed and it starts going off, but to be honest, I always pour mine into individual freezer bags (juice as well) and throw them all in the freezer. That way if I'm doing a three night'er or a one day'er, I can put my hands on exactly what I need when I need it. Hope that helps Jonathan?

Jonathan Williams

Reaction score
Stuart,

I just went out and bought a jar of Organic Blackstrap Mollasses (350g), I just realised its low fat, does this matter? What proportions would I use thus i.e. 350g of mollasses mixed into 1 Gallon of water, then add 1 kg of maize? Would this be OK?

Thanks for all your help, I hope one day i can help you somehow!

Cheers

Jon

Jonathan Williams

Reaction score
Stuart,

Sorry one more thing, the whole soaking process, would you have a lid on the bucket or not, same question for the boiling process?

Thanks agian.

Jon

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Not a problem mate. Ok here goes, firstly unlike the making of boilies where you need ‘x’ amount of eggs to add to ‘x’ amount of base mix to make the rolling of the bait perfect, particles are a different kettle of fish all together (excuse the pun). With the preparation of particles it’s more like a handful of this against a glug of that. But before we start mate, this don’t have to be expensive. Example, how much have you just paid for your molasses? I pay no more than ?4.99 for a gallon from my local animal feed merchant. Lets get this straight from the start in that using particles is an extremely inexpensive way of utilising superb bait in big quantities at a very low cost to the angler. Unfortunately when it come to particles and the like, the only people that complicate this and make the whole process expensive are the tackle shops, so when it comes to particles, don’t buy from them unless you enjoy giving away your cash for the sake of it!

Jonathan Williams

Reaction score
I paid 75p for 350g! I think I will try the whole jar with 1 gallon of water, stir it up and then add 1kg of maize, then leave for 2 days with a lid on the bucket before boiling for half an hour. How does this sound to you?

Cheers

Jon

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Although we will be covering an article on the preparation and soaking of particles in the next couple of weeks with the inclusion of some of our online experts, let me just steer you in the right direction. Get yourself the biggest kitchen pot you have, fill it up half way with your particles, then top it up to three quarters with water and a few glugs of molasses and then sit back for a couple of days. The particles will expand/hydrate and fill the pot. With regard to the lid being on then yes, although to ferment you’d want to leave a little gap for air to get in. With regard to the boiling, then yes, but once that comes to a pressured boil either take the lid off or run for your life! Hope this helps mate? Feel free to keep asking Questions mate, that’s how I learnt and that’s what we’re here for.

Jonathan Williams

Reaction score
Stuart,

When I catch a monster 30lber next week I will dedicate it to you! LOL. Seriously if there is ever anything I can do for you then I would be more than happy to help out!

Cheers

Jon

richard gregory

Reaction score
hi guys if you go to a whole saler you can bye a 25 kilo sack of maize for a ?10er,if you bye it from a tackle shop that would cost a least ?60 quid all they do is put dynamite on the lable and ever one byes it,just look in all the carp mags,they dont pay for it so it puts the price up to go bloggs.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Jon, I'd steer clear from bulk buying particles over the web to begin with because whatever you save on bulk, you'll pay in postage and pacakaging. Pick up your local yellow pages and look for the nearest animal feed store or farm or even a large pet food superstore.