Awesome!

N

Nigel Moors 2

Jeff - AQI. You're dead right, first heard Stephen Fry come up with that on room 101. It is an example of how we've been overrun by the Aussie and Yank verbals.

Mel/Ron - agree with you both about the mate bit. Most of the phrases/buzz word/text speak that irritates all the above posters I agree with to some extent. But Mel's 'mate' reference is something I'm disturbed to say I do as my wife only pointed out to me yesterday. Ron's response was right too about our elite club status enables you to feel we are mates sharing in the angling community. Outside of that, unless you're an open gullible fool most people would have to earn the right to be called mate.

Mel - just realised that in a recent e-mail to you I used the 'mate' ref. Sorry!

Nick - "I actually think that the AUSTRALIAN tonal variation that turns a "statement" into a "question" is a good thing....It promotes conversation by beckoning the listener to comment on the statement being made?" I get what you mean but if that's what you intend to do, then why not word it that way with good old English? I think this is why so many of us fall into that trap of saying something like 'mate' as I admit I do. Just trying to be polite and keep the communication line open. I will be trying to change this in myself now. I'll put tw*t or something like that at the end of evrything I say to strangers....

Ron - glad your US company association works for you. On the whole (there's another one!) a lot of US comapnies and their greed causes a lot of destabilisation around the globe. They aren't all sweetness and light. Having said that I work for a Canadian ex-English owned electronics outfit and we are run by the hire and fire, rule by fear management style. Most of the culprits though are the existing carryover from the Brit days.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Nigel,

I used to sell high tech membrane filter cartridges to the semi-conductor industry for water and aggressive chemical filtration. Whenever I called on companies in this industry, from Siemens and Motorola to Intel, they gave me the impression that they were managed by conspirancy and fear.

So I was right.

N

Nigel Moors 2

Who was that you were working for then Ron? Not important, just interested being in the same field albeit at the bottom end of the foodchain.

As well as the disliked use of words on these forums and fishing reports we should ask opinions of good 'wordings' (that sounds so poor - sorry). At present my favourite is from Phil Hackett on another thread - "mendacious and duplicitous".

?????

What I wonder would be turned up if all the threads could be searched to examine the phrases/words used? How many might have commented on this issue but are 'guilty' of offending themselves?

J

jason fisher

ron the head of intel was the guy who said "only the paranoid survive"

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Here's a really hatefull one.

Head weaving from side to side,with an upraised palm, and saying, talk to the hand.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Nigel:

Cuno of Meriden CT and PTI Technologies of Oxnard CA.

Our main competitors were Pall and Millipore (Mycrolys)

N

Nigel Moors 2

Had to be one of them Ron.

Baz - that would piss me off but it's really funny when someone does it to a real pain in the rear! Saw a little skinny Irish woman do that in a meeting to a big fat boorish Scottish QA mamager who wouldn't listen to what he was being told. The whole room fell about, he listended to her after that!

M

MaNick

Thats the thing though Nigel, the
"talk to the hand" thing is a bit of a parody, and can be very comical when done right, after all, people only do it because it's "sooooooooo, like, yesterday! ok!"

hehahehahe

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When somebody is talking to you, they make a statement and then stop. You start to reply, and they say, no, don't interupt me let me finish.
That one really annoys me.

N

Nigel Moors 2

When somebody is talking to you, they make a statement and then stop. You start to reply, and they say, no, don't interupt me let me finish. Baz - that's just like almost ecery conversation with my wife! Worst thing is though she always blames me!

J

Jeff (Cheeky Monkey) Woodhouse

I like "Del-Boy"-isms. Especially the French ones -

Bonnet de douche - he means truthful, it means "shower cap"
Rez-de-Chuass?e - Exclamation of surprise, it means "Ground floor"
Apres moi, la deluge - he means "everyones a winner" it means "When I go I don't give a damn"
Oeuf sur le plat - another exclamation of surpise, it means simply "fried egg"

I have said, for many years now, "Bon Jour" when I mean goodbye, just like Del. However, I was once disembarking an Air France Jet and instead of "Au revoir" I said "Bon Jour". The staff must have thought "Stupid roast beef!" - it was just habit.

M

mark williams 4

What truly racks me off are people who say 'like' every fourth word, people who say 'know whatta mean?' and the to$$ers who make the end of every statement sound like a question - the Austrailian thingie. Then there's kids who speak like they come from a black ghetto though they are white and middle class (don't they even GET Ali G on the box?)
And some small things, like people who say 'this programme starts in five minutes time.' What other five bloody minutes could it be... five minutes weight, five minutes windspeed? A simple 'five minutes' would do. Then there's people who say 'hot on the heels' when the phrase is 'hard on the heels' - or 'hot on the TRAIL...'
In fact, the misuse of the language generally pi$$es me off, but particularly when I see it in angling papers, whose journalists should know better.