Awesome!

J

John McLaren

This should go on the Baitbox (maybe its already been on) but it seems to fit with the way this thread is going:

A Shepherd was standing at the roadside looking out over his flock when a flashy Porsche screeched to halt beside him. An equally flashy young man jumped out and stood beside the shepherd gazing at the sheep. "If I can tell you how many sheep you've got will you give me one?" asked the young man. The shepherd thought for a moment and said "alright".

The young man returned to his car and spent a couple of minutes fiddling with a mobile phone and a laptop computer. After a short while he came back: "you've got 1289 sheep!" he reported triumphantly. "Exactly right," replied the shepherd, "how did you do that?" "Easy," said the young man, "I connected via my WAP to a satellite surveying service in Germany, they downloaded digital images which the software on my laptop converted into numbers and thats the total of sheep in that field. Can I take one now?" "Certainly," said the shepherd and watched in astonishment as the young man struggled to put the animal he picked out into his boot.

Before the young man got back in his car the shepherd asked: "If I can tell you your job will you give me that back?" "OK," was the reply. "Your a Consultant," said the shepherd. "How did you know that?" asked the visitor. "Easy," said the shepherd: "You came without being called, gave me an answer I already knew to a question I never asked and you don't know anything about my business. Now give me my sheepdog back!"

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
"hush when I entered the room".

Wearing 'the hat' were we ???????????.

John, how about the 'yuppie' that went to the doctors, the doctor examined him and said "You've got a temperature of a 102"

And the yuppie replied "When it gets to a 104, sell".

Ergo

Reaction score
Nice to see you only use Ron Clay and it brings you respect.

I just use the MBA FCIPD and ignore all of the rest!

Reaction score
Think we seem to have drifted away from the subject of the thread......again !!

Annoying phrases and / or the misuse of words.

How about "the water was literally taken apart by......", usually used by a bait company or someone connected to it to promote their latest bait or additive offering.

Exactly how do you "literally" take a water apart ?

Apologies if anybody has already got that one, I've not looked through all 60 odd posts.

Bye for now.

M

MaNick

Great to see you falling into the "American Companies are brilliant" trap RON!...

Be carefull, that over enthusiastic buisness attitude where everything is great and positive can be very misleading!.. (as i'm sure you are aware...)

"fill yer Boots"... didn't that originate from Bruce Forsyth on the Generation Game

na wot i meen innit!

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Brilliant Joke that John. It typifies a lot of the people around in business today.

Manick, I have dealt with the American Company in question and the people in it since 1989.

The company is run by innovators and technologists, not marketing pratts. They have grown by over 18% a year since 89 and now turn over in excess of $40m a year. The CEO is a true genius who spends most of his time on the factory floor and in the laboratory getting dirty rather than sitting in an ivory tower like most British MDs

The company only employs about 30 people and virtually all manufacturing is done by robots. It has 3 laboratories. It is very involved with environmental issues.

Its products work and they are out and out world leaders in their field.

The CEOs father, who hails from Poland, was murdered in a Nazi death camp.

The CEO is one of those people who appears never to have left the 6th form. His business meetings are totally unlike the "trials by shouting matches" you get in Britain, but rather a quick chat in the corner of the factory over a cup of coffee where everyone is asked for his or her input.

The staff turnover is virtually nil!!!

All that tells you a lot about a company I have been proud to have been associated with for over 15 years.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

And by the way they do not have an HR manager, nor an IT manager and they have only one accountant.

IT managers by the way are also a waste of 02.

B

Big Rik

so who fixes the PC's when you spill coffee in it?
Who changes the software when you need something new to deal with a new product you're trying to develop?

Or are you still drawing it all freehand?

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Outside contractor Rik.

Coupled with the back of a Marlboro packet..... :eek:)

B

Big Rik

ahhh, I've a fair few old Marlboro packets, many a great plan has been hatched on the back of those.

D

Deecy

I am currently trying to persuade my children to avoid the use of 'like'. For example, 'I was like playing football' The other mild annoyance is the use of Australian emphasis on words .For example 'I was walking down the road? The kids put emphasis on the word road when there is no need .I think this is the fault of Neighbours(the Australian soap not Mr and Mrs Salisbury)In addition American Sky kids programmes are almost all American(and rubbish!)and in unguarded moments my children adopt that awful American accent with attitude accompanied by a tilting of the head.'Whatever'is a phrase that raises the old blood pressure.
I have noticed a change in Carp angling phraseology. They now fish Ponds, try to get bites not runs. Everything is sorted or pukka.They fish spots with gear that?s 'gonna go innit'.Marker set-ups are 'the old Carp scarer'
This all pales into insignificance when in some of the numerous pointless meetings I attend someone say's 'lets not look at this as a problem but a challenge?. That is ok for them to say but it is always someone else?s problem.

J

Jeff (Cheeky Monkey) Woodhouse

I was going to get an Erextion, but I've changed my mind now - Right?

"If I witness my guys using that terminology I look to retrain them." Shouldn't this be "If I HEAR my guys using that terminology ...." Okay? I'm picky, or pedantic if you prefer.

"Okay" and "right" at the end of each sentence is only our adaptation of Australian Question Intonation. This is where all sentences are spoken so that the voice raises slightly in tone at the end, turning the sentence into a question rather than a statement.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Yes Jeff, I hear that lots, especially with young Pommie sales people.

We should be careful not to typecast all Americans. The worst of the lot are in fact Californians with the "Hollywood" sub-culture.

I have travelled to a few USA states such as Wyoming, Montana, Indiana, Ct, Ma, Vt and New York State. The people in these states are all different. Some of the hospitality I have recieved was overwhelming.

"Find a local Hotel - no way boy, you stay here, we have 4 spare bedrooms and my wifes cooking is better than any hotel".

You would never get that in England from a virtual total stranger.

Marvellous people the Americans.

Jim Gibbinson

Reaction score
The Australian interrogative inflexion is slightly disconcerting, but its irritant quotient doesn't come near to that of "awesome"-every-damn-thing in some sections of the angling press, and "at the end of the flippin' day" almost everywhere!
Also highly irritating is Sacramento-speak, personified by the inappropriate insertion of "like" (as previously mentioned by Deecy), coupled with the use of the word "like" instead of "said" (I was like, "Where are you going?" He was like, "Nowhere". I was like etc.)
Oh yes, regarding "reality" TV programmes like "Trisha". The Americans call such programmes "Sluts and Nuts" TV. I can almost forgive them Sacramento-speak for that!

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Probably so Frothey but if it wasn't for the Yanks in the 40s we would now be seig heiling and Europe would be enslaved.

And the Americans did warn the Japanese on several occasions to surrender. But they didn't take any notice.

D

Deecy

"Like I was sooooo not wanting to go there yer know" That is a common phrase.
Another thing I have noticed is asian and white kids in rural towns adopting an Afro American street talk accent.This is common in London but sounds rather odd in Littleport or Wisbech.
Pre baiting is now piling or whacking in the gear.
Fishing rod names that sound like the arsenal for a Superpower.Top Gun, Armalite, Warrior, Ballista, Tracer, Assassin, FMJ & Invader.
Names for poles that are better suited to horror movies.Grim Reaper, Encounter, Satanic,Moby ****, Cruncher and Lump Hammer.
Hook names that remind one of the body parts of Dinosaurs or birds of prey.Fang, Raptor,Penetrator, Incisor, Talon & Impaler.Isn't a simple number or description sufficient?Boilie Hook, Sprite, C-310 and 34021 is much better.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

But if you did away with those names Deecy you would be putting all those thick marketing w....rs out of a job.

J

John Lock

Just seen a front-cover headline on, I think, Matchfishing mag in W H Smith. "Bag up with slabs" it said.

To translate into English this means "We have a most entertaining and educational article inside which will make your expeditions more productive and felicitatious when you are endeavouring to catch Bream".