How did you get on?

neil1970

Reaction score
Today I went out in the morning with the heavy lure gear and had a great time catching trees and snags and generally throwing offerings of money to the river gods.

Then the afternoon came so it was time to help my daughter catch her first perch. Two dropshot rigs, a spinnerbait and a shad were sacrificed with no fish to show for them.

That signalled time to meet wife and younger daughter for a pub meal, where I was officially told to 'cheer up' by a fellow Colne regular.

B0110X

:mad::eek:mg:;)

barbelboi

Reaction score
Had a few hours trotting on the Colne with Simon, usual time 10.30am - 3.30pm:), wall to wall sunshine and clear water certainly weren't a help. Not a touch in the first hour so moved further upstream - couple of dace and some small perch so we moved even further upstream and managed to find a bit more shade.

Instant response from some chublet and roach, also some small perch - Simon found some better quality perch. Then at 3pm I hooked into something decent that gave a good account of itself on a 2lb hook link and a size 20 hook - a chub of 6lb 9oz which is my largest from the Colne while trotting..............

cc691_zps092ec5f5.jpg

simp1cp_zps7971ade8.jpg

B

binka

Well done Jerry that's a cracking chub and congrats on your new trotted Colne pb, that's a nicely marked perch that Lovejoy is holding :)

neil1970

Reaction score
Good, if slightly damp afternoons fishing today (12-4pm)

Simon was in the upstream swim from me; trotting maggots and picking up lots of perch, dace, roach and roach/bream hybrids.

I cast slightly upstream with a robin red 12mm pellet on the hook, pva bag of crushed pellets clipped to the lead, followed by a lump of liquidised bread laced with pellet powder every half an hour.

At about 12.30 I hooked into a chub of 5lbs, then not a bite for the rest of
the session. :)

Fingers:eek:

:D

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
Finished work around lunch time and as I was within a couple of klicks of the River Charente I had some tackle in the car. It was bright and sunny with little cloud and the temp' around 20 - 21C. The Charente at Chantrezac is around the same width and has features similar to the River Dearne I used to fish back in Sth. York's. This photo is from another session but it gives an idea of the water..........

I fished with the 5' 6" River Don Special quiver rod and Daiwa 1500 reel, 4lb line to a 1:14 hook length with red worms on the hook casting a small 1/8oz link ledger into likely looking holes and under overhanging bushes over about a kilometer of river. No groundbait or free offerings, just 5 - 10 minutes in each place and move on. Had 7 chub from a few ounces to around 2lb. Really enjoyed it. Getting back to basics and all that :)

barbelboi

Reaction score
I just love the small rivers as well – a couple of ‘wild’ stretches not far from me where a 4lb chub is a belter, who cares, it’s being there and fishing to the river.............

flightliner

Reaction score
Trentside yesterday, top end looking for a barbel on the float but a coming visit with a friend had me unsettled as I wanted to know how and when the tide turned to ebb as it would influence wheter or not it would be worth the effort.
Anyway, on impulse I pact away my kit and shot off the eighteen miles downstream to the locale.
The river was ripping upstream and was chocalate unlike the upper tidal that tho rising was still going seawards---- Just love all that massive differance---- so, silly to waste the effort I reset my gear but this time light quivertip rod and opengroundbait feeder.
The tide turned at exactly noon (No good on friday now as it will be high tide at two pm leaving maybe one and a half hours fishing either side of a three hour twenty minute rising river) so while it stood for a few minutes before ebbing away I put a little groundbait in to ensure some was in the desired place.
Ten minutes later when the river was running strong a good rap gave me a very nice redfin of a half pound or so, encouraged I stuck to the task but in the following two hours or so could only manage a bream and a nice skimmer.
The stiff breeze that had prevailed all day subsided a little so decided that the last hour I would try the waggler with double maggot------- it was a bite a throw but sadly all bleak and tiny tiny bream that looked like razor blades.
Dusk approaching it was time to go and as I was leaving it started to rain--- not for the first time!

nicepix

Reaction score
I just love the small rivers as well – a couple of ‘wild’ stretches not far from me where a 4lb chub is a belter, who cares, it’s being there and fishing to the river.............

And this I think is the best time to fish them. The bankside nettles and brambles are dieing back, hopefully a bit of colour and extra flow in the water soon, and of course in another month and you'll be able to fish until dusk ;) :D

barbelboi

Reaction score
And this I think is the best time to fish them. The bankside nettles and brambles are dieing back, hopefully a bit of colour and extra flow in the water soon, and of course in another month and you'll be able to fish until dusk ;) :D

Na, not me Clive. I believe that around 3.50pm is as close as it gets before the days get longer - you should know I'm long gone by 3.30.....:D

Anyway, things to do as I'll be leaving for the river about 10ish..............

flightliner

Reaction score
I wouldn't bother Flight'. Its well known that they only have pet fish down south. No challenge :D

NP, Its a Bream thing really, I keep trying one way or another to get BBB to appreciate them but god its hard work.:wh
Ahhh well, better hun ker down and get ready for the flak as he'll be home from the river soon,--- its never ending:eek:mg::eek:mg:
np- pm on its way.

neil1970

Reaction score
Colne today, 2-30pm, after a decent perch.

I hooked and lost two jacks and one small perch.

Then hooked into something that felt quite decent and lost that as well.

I thought I was in for another lure fishing blank, but was proved wrong in the last 15 minutes.:eek:mg:

jimlad

Reaction score
Decided, after looking at levels, that the upper tees offered a decent shot for some fish having quickly fined down. I was after big grayling, but struggled to find them. The water was colour and up a little, plenty of trout to keep me busy (some excellent fights!), until eventually I got my target species, albeit small.

A nice evening to be out.

6C5AC8A6-595D-4340-B7C5-CED3D6269AD6_zpstfjtvior.jpg

E502BC65-7AF4-48F6-947B-C981024C2D70_zpsipbz2lk3.jpg

IMG_0727_zpsaf06bb59.jpg

IMG_0728_zps49784da0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Another session after the increasingly unpredictable BH zander yesterday. Big Phil went down on Tuesday and broke his season's duck though [as with me] he lost a few and suffered the inexplicable airshot response to good solid runs. On the strength of that we charged off to Dorking intending to fill our boots while they were having it....only they weren't. I had 2 fish from 2 runs and Phil managed to save the blank with a late mugfish. It was the same for everyone...for some inexplicable reason the whole lake has just switched off since Tuesday.

Still...we bumped into Duncan Charman who we have met a few times down there and he,too,has suffered from the airshot syndrome and bumped/lost fish. That's quite reassuring in a way because I thought it was something I was doing wrong but clearly not. Softening the rods a bit I'm convinced has helped but a bit more action would have been a better test.

Unfortunately the trip was further spoiled by the antics of Mr Graeme Pullen who was doing some filming for his "Totally Bollox Fishing" thing. More lights than Heathrow and the bloke just cannot sit still. Phil [who had Pullen capering about in the swim next door] had a frank exchange of views before buqqering off & moving up near me. He is not one to be trifled with and Mr P must have made all the right placatory noises or he'd have been swimming back to his car with a camera up his ar$e.

That's enough for a week or two. I think they've been feeding so hard the damn things are full up & it will be rock hard for a while. Time to go barbelling, I think.

Last edited: