How did you get on?

neil1970

Reaction score
More misadventures on quick lure fishing trip today -

The blank was saved by a ventiloquist sprat that shouted 'Oi' from the upstream peg when I reeled it in.

john step

Reaction score
Nice reel jimlad.
I have had a few reasonable perch this week and some nice roach. Today I had a carp about 7 or 8lb on a small perch LIVEBAIT intended for perch. Until I got sight of it I was mentally composing the blurb on how I caught the new record perch.:eek:mg: Some saying about mice and men comes to mind.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Fished the GUC today with my old mate Son of Meldrew.
Both on the pole on a 17m wide pound near Tring.
Set up a far shelf rig @11m and a down the track heavy rig @ 9m.
A few roach and a 2lb skimmer came to the breadpunch down the track before a barge came through then nothing.
Changed to the 8m line with a single maggot and had 3 Ruffes, no size but a rare fish these days.
Both of us struggled for the last 2 hours (2pm-4) when the see through gudgeon plagued us. SOM had some micro perch and gudgeon on whole Dendra. ..
After 5 hours (11 to 4) I had 4lb:00. to his 3lb:8...
Lovely warm weather too..

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
Spent the afternoon on the River Glane. Well, to be fair I spent the first hour driving round looking for new places to fish on that river. I followed it up the valley trying to find tracks and lanes leading to new areas. Any signpost that indicated Moulin (mill), Pont (bridge) or Lavaud (washing place) was explored. I found a cracking swim adjacent to a meadow that needed a good going over, but not today. Less sunshine and more water would make it better.

Ended up parking at the Site de Corot and walking further upstream than I've previously fished, well into virgin territory and I picked a swim upstream of a fallen tree in a shady spot.

Using the little River Don Special 5' 6" quiver rod, Daiwa 1500 reel, 4lb line to a 1:14 hook length and a red worm on a 16 I cast the 1/4 oz sliding link ledger across and downstream to the tree near to the far bank. Barely had time to settle the rod and the tip whipped round...........

Four fish in the first four casts, two roach, a perch and a ruffe. All on the same worm :D

Had virtually a fish a chuck for two hours. Even the littlest roach were giving a 12" twitch and I barely had to wait 10 seconds for a bite. At one point after catching a few roach of this size....

...... I catapulted a teaspoon worth of hemp seeds in along with a few micro pellets and fished hemp on the hook. Not a bite. Same with banded pellets so it was back to worm and a bite a chuck - almost.

Had about 20 - 25 roach, a couple of ruffe and about 7 perch. Bites tailed off around 5pm which is a feature of this river. It seems to fish better in daylight rather than dusk and 4pm - 5pm seems to be the time they go to bed.

Apologies for the quality of the photos. I bought a cheapo camera especially to leave in my fishing bag and it isn't as good as I'd hoped for.

flightliner

Reaction score
Targeted barbel with float gear on the Trent again yesterday.Its my favoured method these days and I use it untill they decide chasing a moving bait is to much effort (generally) when I then revert back to static baits.
Last week I had two and lost one which from recant years results is telling me that they are near to said preferances about to change.
I could feel the differance myself as I have to stand , usually in the shallow margins, to run my flote downstream for best and I could feel my feet being cooler than previous.
It was slow, no bites until an hour in the float dissapears and I, m into a fish that has me givi g line but after a little while it starts to come upstream but not without the odd run back to where it was hooked.
After some ten mi utes or so it was finally under the rod some thirteen feet below me, fine so far but after another period of time when most fish have broken surface this thing is still way below and worryingly hanging off downstream.
I, ve been there many times before and its a sign that the fish is a good one---- and it was gone,---- the hook came back--- sugar----- oh well---- been there also, not nice but to be expected on the odd ocasion.
A break for a tea and a bikkie then bact to the steady rhythm of float down and retrieve, all told some six hours, its backbreaking but I still love it despite the discomfort.
The tide turned at four pm and its not unusual just prior to the change that a fish will put in a show but it didnt happen so with my time running out with dusk approaching and having seen a few molehills freshly made on the bank behind me I gathered a bowlfull of the nice finely crumbled earth and with only a gentle squeeze required placed it underhand to my float line in the hope that any resulting trail of mud might just provoke a little interest from a single fish before time ran out.--- not to be however , so, deciding this years flote for barbel days had all but ended until warmer weather I cleared my pitch and left for home along the A1.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Couple of hours drop shotting on the GUC with Big Phil this afternoon. Started well when after half a dozen casts a pike of around 7lb or so grabbed the micro jack I'd hooked and ended up in the net after refusing to let go. Went downhill from then on with only a couple of half hearted knocks between us. Fished till dusk and then hoyed off as they were clearly not in the mood and it was getting chilly. Still not totally convinced by this drop shotting lark...we need a good day to convince ourselves that we're doing it right.

flightliner

Reaction score
Good tip that - molehill soil. Especially if using worms as bait. :thumbs:

Thats exactly what I was running downsream for the last twenty minutes NP..Its not all about boillies and pellets,
No result but it was standard fodder when using the ruse in fenland when bream were the targeted species. If you dont try you dont know.
ps-- dont kill em all off for gods sake!!!:D:D

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
I had one in my garden this week. In six hours it threw up 50 times its own body weight in soil. That's almost as much as an Irish Navvy used to get through. :D

edsurf

Reaction score
Four Hours trotting on The Hants Avon , mixed bag, Chub,Dace,Sea Trout and Grayling, then smashed off by something very big and spotty.

flightliner

Reaction score
Goodness, two almost end on reports where anglers have been using float gear- who's let the cat out of the bag?.:D

jimlad

Reaction score
Nice way to christen the new rod this morning. Decided on a roving session but covering more water with two rods and varying baits. Second swim resulted in this hard fighting pike of 11lb 1oz, which got me snagged up at one point (I put the rod in the rest and waited 5 mins for it to unsnag itself, which it did!).

3367D8C6-F205-4D2D-9876-9AD382DD73CB_zps6jdlyuua.jpg

Four or five swims later, the drop off indicator released and line started pouring out the spool. I struck immediately and landed this longer but leaner pike of 12lb 1oz.

B3D9EC35-8E58-4C66-A007-EDE0F7850E7D_zpsfjdywtyk.jpg

Both fish swam away strongly after a quick snap. I also ended up with one leg in the river at one point after the bank collapsed, ******.

Happy days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neil1970

Reaction score
First annual lure day for my club today.

Great day with a dropshot masterclass to kick it off, and then on to the river, canal or lake.

A 2lb nice perch was caught almost as soon as fishing had commenced (not by me :))

I managed a few jacks and one perch, but a great day out anyway.

matth

Reaction score
I had a few hours on the Stour at Christchurch on Saturday afternoon.

I parked at the bowling club and walked up alongside the golf club for a few hundred meters. Found a nice spot opposite a feed-in from the smaller Stour.

Running a float down the river I managed one baby chub and several zillion mini-dace. I tried cheese, bread, red maggots but couldn't get passed the damn dace - they wouldn't even hook themselves, they just refused to let go of the bait.

Was nice to be out and at least I didn't blank.

law

Reaction score
Had my first piking trip today.
I wasnt too confident as the river was a foot up and raging through.
But in 3 hours, I ended up with 4 fish up to 16lb and also lost another.

Not a bad start :)

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Well done Law, great start.

I was booked to go piking on thursday but have been called to give evidence in court. B***er!

So instead of a nice easy day wobbling a DB I'm going to get a hard time in the witness box!:mad:

I feel a couple of away days coming up.;)

Stu

B

binka

I was booked to go piking on thursday but have been called to give evidence in court. B***er!

That sounds a bit hefty Stu...

Just tell 'em it was an honest accounting error with a decimal point in the wrong place, you never check your bank statements and you have no idea how the deeds to that old estate lake came to be in your name :wh

:D

barbelboi

Reaction score
Managed to tear myself away from the river today for a bit of local gravel pit roach fishing. Fished 10.30am - 2.30pm with a light waggler set up (caster over hemp) with a fair few around this size.............

roachnov14_zpsa367f26e.jpg