How did you get on?

rubio

Reaction score
Been back on the roach at my current fav spot. They are getting bigger too. I've fished this short stretch, 150M or so, 4 times in the past week. I started off with 4 pints of reds and a loaf, and have just about fed 5000 by now. Seems like it anyway as they were queing up within 20 mins this evening.
I turned about half my maggots, well they did most it on their own of course, and have been rewarded with increasingly more roach each time. It's a good roach river along it's full length but I am genuinely surprised at how many seem to be there. Maybe someone else is fishing the same place each morning and between us we've kept them in the area. Being roach they will of course slide off and will take a month to find again.
Best 'specimen' has been a modest but beautiful 1lb 4ozs roach, a couple of Dace pushing 8 oz and 4 perch over 2 pound mark.
Tactics have changed to light waggler too get decent presentation in an awkward breeze and minimal flow. I am now 3 wagglers light in fact and the xmas tree effect may give away my personal syndicate stretch. I've only ever seen one other guy fish here and that must be 3 years ago. I only have canoeists to compete with.
Got cut off a few times by pike. Took along a spare rod to deal with 'em and they are nowhere to be seen. Maybe their bellies are already full. Yesterday I was bitten off 5 fish in a row! 1 2 3 4 5...and very soon after casting. Could these be very big perch I keep thinking. Cutting a 1lb hooklength on their gillcovers possibly. Anyone here had similar occurences?

B

binka

Could these be very big perch I keep thinking. Cutting a 1lb hooklength on their gillcovers possibly. Anyone here had similar occurences?

Possibly perch but I've never been cut off whilst fishing for them... In my experience perch tend to eject at the first sign of resistance but they can be a pain when they're really on unless of course you're targeting 'em in which case they're nowhere to be seen.

My money's on a pike, I would wind off the drag to almost free running and play the long game to see if you can get a positive sighting... Your pike will usually come on as a very heavy added weight whereas your perch will be far more head shaking which should transmit through the rod.

I wouldn't rule out big chub...

rubio

Reaction score
Been back on the roach at my current fav spot. They are getting bigger too. I've fished this short stretch, 150M or so, 4 times in the past week. I started off with 4 pints of reds and a loaf, and have just about fed 5000 by now. Seems like it anyway as they were queing up within 20 mins this evening.
I turned about half my maggots, well they did most it on their own of course, and have been rewarded with increasingly more roach each time. It's a good roach river along it's full length but I am genuinely surprised at how many seem to be there. Maybe someone else is fishing the same place each morning and between us we've kept them in the area. Being roach they will of course slide off and will take a month to find again.
Best 'specimen' has been a modest but beautiful 1lb 4ozs roach, a couple of Dace pushing 8 oz and 4 perch over 2 pound mark.
Tactics have changed to light waggler too get decent presentation in an awkward breeze and minimal flow. I am now 3 wagglers light in fact and the xmas tree effect may give away my personal syndicate stretch. I've only ever seen one other guy fish here and that must be 3 years ago. I only have canoeists to compete with.
Got cut off a few times by pike. Took along a spare rod to deal with 'em and they are nowhere to be seen. Maybe their bellies are already full. Yesterday I was bitten off 5 fish in a row! 1 2 3 4 5...and very soon after casting. Could these be very big perch I keep thinking. Cutting a 1lb hooklength on their gillcovers possibly. Anyone here had similar occurences?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I placed an order over 5yrs ago for a Chris Lythe Spitfire centrepin reel and it was deliverd yesterday. Obviously after waiting for such a long time I had to get out and christen it ASAP. I go out today and managed to christen it with trout, chub and barbel....

Last edited:
B

binka

Very nice fish Ian, I skipped the text though... Is that a Greys Berwick? :eek: ;) :D

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Very nice fish Ian, I skipped the text though... Is that a Greys Berwick? :eek: ;) :D

Greys Bewick :eek:...how dare you ! LOL.

I removed the pic's as it might take the thread of track.

Last edited:

rubio

Reaction score
Possibly perch but I've never been cut off whilst fishing for them... In my experience perch tend to eject at the first sign of resistance but they can be a pain when they're really on unless of course you're targeting 'em in which case they're nowhere to be seen.

My money's on a pike, I would wind off the drag to almost free running and play the long game to see if you can get a positive sighting... Your pike will usually come on as a very heavy added weight whereas your perch will be far more head shaking which should transmit through the rod.

I wouldn't rule out big chub...

Chatted to the Chav re this and the possibility Chub were taking it into pharyngeal teeth. Only had small chub from this stretch but there are always chunky ones about I reckon. Maybe have to take him along. Trouble is he'll just catch em all and leave me looking like a muppet as usual. The bite offs came 5 in a row and I'm not so sure a pike would be back to feed again in the time it takes to tie on a hook.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score

I have been bitten off by Chub a number of times, I have had Jacks take the small fish as I'm winding them in, but they are usually violent takes, not like bite off's.

Like Chav I reckon Chub !!

Bob

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Back to the same swims as last week, a couple of hours on a canal and then a couple on the river. Roach and more roach again. No maggots this time just a tin of mixed hemp and other stuff,a ball of paste made with flour and lots of yeast and a loaf for back up which turned out just as well.
The paste did not quite work out, the paste went all gooey by the time I got to the venue. I will have to do some more thinking on that one. However, when I managed to get it on the hook it was catching roach. Eventually worked out a lump of this gooey lovely smelling paste smeared on a bit of crust was doing the trick and held the hook better. Also produced a lovely negative weighted bait. Out fished the bread on its own by far, the bites were more confident than on the bread alone and one or two decent above average roach on it. Whereas they were doing the usual nibbling the bread when used on its own I was getting some very positive takes on the crust/paste combination and some better fish. In the thread about yeast, I opened with the surmise that it may be the yeast smell in bread that makes it such a good universal bait and I am beginning to think that may be right.
Still on the drawing board but I like it, must try somewhere different next time and target something different.
A very pleasant day but, getting blase with all the roach although the conditions have been very good them lately and that may be something to do with the lack of other species. But, in need of a big fish to jangle my angling arm and brain. A nice fat commercial carp or tench should do the trick.

Last edited:

robertroach

Reaction score
After a slow start to the season, and complete failure to catch any tench on my local lake which is proving difficult, things are looking up.
I have had a couple of sessions on a new stretch (to me) on the Upper Stour and located a huge shoal of roach, so they haven't all been eaten by cormorants.
Trotting in the aerated water with centre pin and hemp/tares in the sunshine has been an absolute delight. had a nice net yesterday, probably about 20lbs
in weight of prime roach, nothing huge but good quality average of 6-8 oz. with a few bigger ones. A bite every cast, the only interruption by a pike which caused some havoc and broke me eventually.
These fish are a result of a restocking by E.A. after an agricultural pollution and have now grown to a size worth fishing for.
Bloody farmers have wiped out the stocks a couple of times in recent years. I hope they have cleaned up their act now.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Out on the Wreake near Melton early today, very low, very clear with very little current that's where it wasn't choked with bullrush,cabbages,lilies & 2 or 3 other types of reed,surprised the water can actually get to the River Soar at all but despite all of that spotted loads of small chub & roach & a few perch & eventually caught a 4lb chub on sweetcorn, 4 perch & a chublet on worm whilst being distracted by kingfishers,egrets
,buzzards and numerous noisy green woodpeckers.

flightliner

Reaction score
A nice day on the lower tidal Trent today.A look at the weather last night told me that the wind was an east by nor east and a turn of tide at one thirty. The wind put me on the "lincoln" bank but the tide would mean working the swim up three times during my stay, not my choice normally but the venue as a wild sort of appeal and the river there is where my dad introduced me to the Trent so long ago.
A smallish tide only gave me some four foot of depth which usually produces smaller fish-- a big tide tends to bring the better ones much closer to the margins but despite hoping othewise it was "as expected".
Stick float shirt button shotted and dotted down with double maggot to an eighteen began producing roach, the odd bleak and lots of lovely Dace around the 4/5 oz mark.
when the tide turned I reckoned there might have been around 5/6 lb in total and by the time it turned back to the sea maybe 8/9lb (ish).
All told I had the roach, perch dace with a few skimmers, and perch with just the one chublet but it was the amount of dace that surprised me, I,ve fished the length so many times in the past but I cant remember a time when dace made up the majority of a catch-- love them, super little fish.
Must catch a bigger tide next time, hemp n tare the bait.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Had a few hours on the river today and had a great little sesssion. I caught quite a few little chub ranging from the length of my middle finger up to about a pound and a half, a few dace, some minnows and seven barbel. I lost two more barbel, one got under an old tree and my line sheered off in a place that lost me my float....barsteward !... and the other i'd wound right in and I had it by my side and could have handed it out but I gave it a little line as I dropped the rod tip reaching back for my landing net and it dove under some silt weed, got my line tangled around or in it and pulled my hook off before I could do anything about it.

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
A very nice report tigger, and I can well see why you were a little tee'd off at losing your float !
As for the bit that begins " I lost two more barbel ".....well, how many of us will appreciate just how badly things can go wrong in seconds after reading you post, and have sat back in amazement with " Did that just happen to me" ? running through one's head....

You couldn't make it up.....

Some very pretty barbel, though...great stuff !

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know it's less than two quids worth (the float) but I really hate loosing gear and watching that float sail away down the opposite bank was quite frustrating lol.
I also hate to leave a hook in a fish, the only thing that releaves my guilt is the fact that the hook was only a 14's and will have been in it's lip so easily seen and removed by the next angler to catch it...still p!$$es me off though.

rubio

Reaction score