How did you get on?

B

binka

Another very nice day on the river for me today running a stick float and maggot through for whatever came along, the river level is at a season low now and very clear but the silvers were obliging as always albeit with numerous interruptions from the predators.

After picking up a mate at 6:15 we were fishing around an hour later, he wanted to go the two rod barbel approach and I was going with the stick float which proved the better option as he never had a proper bite all day to either rod.

My lot consisted of bleak, chub, dace, an eel, gudgeon, perch and roach… And almost included a pike of around 7lb had I been a bit quicker with the landing net and which resulted in a bite off as did the other two before it but having taken well over a hundred and fifty silvers I reckon they might just have had good cause to be snooping around.

A blissful day weather wise, the beer is extra cold having been in the fridge all day and I’ve just ordered a dirty great Indian as reward for standing in the drink for nine hours with ankles that now feel like they want to explode!

Gonna go with the biggest of the day for the pic and for the second time running I managed to do that trick which makes ‘em lay still before unhooking it which brushed aside my fears that the other weeks success at the same thing wasn’t a fluke…

Or was it?

A very ordinary day all in all, the usual extraordinary feeling of satisfaction as a result and good to be back out :w

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
No forceps, hands, fingers or mullered ankles in the pics? What a bore :D

Obviously, the photography lessons are going well, Binks?? :D

Nice piece as ever, good to see it's not just me gets pestered by eels.

B

binka

, good to see it's not just me gets pestered by eels.

Ha ha lol :D

I was grateful for the eel Phil, it was the only legitimate thing (not counting the pike) that put a decent bend in the rod all day!

You're welcome to a pic of the ankles but it's really not a good idea :eek: :)

tincatim

Reaction score
I fancied a change today so headed to a local Stillwater that I know contains a few crucians and tench. All geared up and ready to go at 6:30 this morning I drove to my desired spot to fish next to the very inviting lily bed that I had such a good day at this time last year. I set up with two pole rigs and found two likely spots with the plummet. I was feeling very positive about my chances and looking forward to the golden bars of beauty that are the crucian carp.

That's where the dream ended. I fished five hours and ended up with about 15 roach, perch and a couple of chublets. It was really hard going, tried maggot, soft pellet, corn, corn skins and bread. Maggots were the only thing that worked and that's being generous! I also caught what I think might be a silver bream, there are some in there apparently. I'll post a pic and see what you think?

So no crucians but the upside was watching a heron stalking and catching fish on the far bank, a kingfisher swooping around and chirping it's head off and no bailiff meant free fishing :)

It's back to river for me!

The Sogster

Reaction score
Fished the club stretch of my local river today.

Decided to fish for 'owt wi fins. Took a very light avon rod and set up with a .75oz tip and 2.5lb hook length with a feeder of around 6gm. Bait was four pints of maggot, two of hemp and some medium pellets.
I was hoping that the maggot would feed off the gudgeon while the hemp would attract some nice roach and bream.

Arrived to find I had lef my catapult and smallest baitdropper behind. Doh!

Never mind, calmed down over a nice bacon butty and cup of tea I commenced fishing having picked a swim with two lovely near bank margin spots and introduced some hemp by hand along with a few pellets.

I then added a few feederfuls of maggot. My plan was to fish upstream while feeding the downstream margin.

It soon became obvious that the gudgeon were out in force - cast, close bail arm, count to three, watch tip rattle, strike - gudgeon on.

After a couple of hours trying to feed 'em off, all the time introducing hemp and pellet by hand I managed four six ounce roach and three similar size perch before the mother of all pull rounds from a giant gonk, at least an 18inch twitch. :)

A change to pellet (hair rigged) did nothing although there were a few taps.

Back to maggot and 25 gudgeon later two bream of around 3lb slid into the net before normal service was resumed.

At this point I changed to banded pellet, as before a few liners and no takes.

This was the pattern all day.

Having fed it without fishing for eight hours the downstream swim produced nothing.

Still, looking forward to my next trip.

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
A very ordinary day all in all, the usual extraordinary feeling of satisfaction as a result and good to be back out
Steve, if an ordinary day can give you extraordinary satisfaction, you are indeed blessed! As are all Brothers of the Angle!

Long may it continue.

Stu

neil1970

Reaction score
I fished horseshoe ledge this afternoon and started off LRF in the rock pools.

Lots of Blennies after scaling down from a 1g jigheads to a split shot rig with size 18 hook and a tiny bit of isome.

Tried of the deep side of the ledge for a bass to no avail and the had to vacate quickly due to the tide.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score

Inter club match today on the GUC at Tring. The Tring anglers v Wycombe Thames. AC . This pound is narrower than most @11m and set in a deep ravine.
The water was well coloured and around 5ft deep down the track. Just set up 2 top kits one for far shelf and one for midway up the far shelf. 3 tangerine sized balls of dark roach groundbait went into the midway line and I fished tiny red worm at dead depth. After a string of skimmers and roach in the first 2 hours a few boats came through and muddied the water. Hardly a bite in the last 3 hours but I winkled out a few roach on the far side on punch.
Happily both rigs survived intact throughout...Tring team beat Wycombe by 7lb odd..
Winner had 4 big perch and bits for 8+lb.
2nd had 4lb 12...
3rd Me. With 3lb 4....

24 fished....

B

binka

I hadn’t planned any fishing for today and was festering on the sofa around mid-morning when the thought of the daunting task of catching up on the housework began to enter my head and I was in serious danger of making a dent in it until I decided that fishing was a much better option :)

Funny how these unplanned, impromptu sessions have a habit of working in your favour too.

Seeing as I couldn’t remember when my last dedicated barbel session was I decided to have the afternoon on them but with my mate’s biteless day on ‘em yesterday when he was static fishing two rods I decided to travel light, keep on the move and roll some meat down the river.

I was in the river and trundling a bait down with the flow by just gone midday and although I was enjoying myself I didn’t fancy my chances if I’m honest, very low and clear again and certainly not the kind of conditions for casting shadows…

I think the hat came out rather well though and the odds on disaster of taking a pic mid-river with the rod butt stuffed down a wader leg was somehow miraculously avoided!

About an hour and a half in and a few hundred yards downriver I had my first sign of a tremor followed by a sharp pull and I lifted into the first barbel of the afternoon which was a nice fish of around 7lbs and I was quite happy with that in all fairness and even more so with three more, all around the same size give or take a pound, which were taken as I made my way down the beat before resting up at a spot which I’ve favoured in the past during low water conditions.

Suffice to say that "old faithful" didn’t let me down and she produced three more barbel including a low double which all fell to freelined meat right under the rod tip.

I’m sure somebody mentioned after my last report that they missed the forceps, was it you Phii? ;)

All in all a very enjoyable afternoon, I’d had seven nice fish and reckon there could have been two or three more in it but with a school day tomorrow I decided to retire early for the evening and head home to enjoy a couple of pints in my still rather messy home :guinness:

smudger172

Reaction score
Over the last couple of months i have changed a few bits of kit. New chair. New bag and last week i treated myself to two new barbel rods, so was itching to get out and use them. Normally i give the barbel a miss until the middle of august but these rods were calling use me use me.
So up at six and by half past was on my way to the old mill at Aldermaston on the Kennet. Two miles from home i realized i had forgotten my flask so back home to get it.. Off i go again. Half way there a pigeon flies through the hedge straight in front of me. Sorry pigeon. Nothing else can go wrong-- Can it.
On arriving at the venue there was only two other anglers in the car park......Result.... straight to the lawn area. Walking over to swim i looked like Mr brand new. Now i normally set my rods up the night before an put them in a sleeve. These new rods are three piece and i do not have sleeves that are four foot long, so decided to set them up on the bank..
Standing at my chosen swim, reach into my pocket and no glasses. Mrs smudger had decided to wash my Swiss army fleece and remove all of its contents.
It took over an hour to set up and tie hooklinks.
At the end of the day 2 chub and two trout.

The drive home was uneventful.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Well yet another spiffing day at the pool the bream were really havin today 21 Bream total 31lb 4oz 6 Crucian total 8lb 1oz 1 Roach 3/4 lb 1 pesky (not weiged in) i skimmer similar Oh and one unknown (i am thinking it looks like IDE but not sure ) no photos right now .. but good day on maggot and liquidized bread with 6mm hallibut pellets ..

PG ..

neil1970

Reaction score
I spent an hour this afternoon in the poring rain fishing off Sandown Pier.
One mackerel fell to the lrf setup.The larger rod received a solid knock when fishing a 6" sand ell lure and I saw the surface boil.

I am quickly coming to the conclusion that I do not like fishing off piers :)

robtherake

Reaction score
Popped down to a campsite close to Spurn Head. The fishing was very average, but the Black Stork that arrived in the marshy field to the rear of the site made the trip a magical experience. Add in a gaggle of Little Egrets, Alba Wagtails, a lone Wood Sandpiper, hunting male Marsh Harrier and a 2 hour daylight hunting display from a Short-eared Owl (amongst many other birds) and it could hardly have been better.
The day after getting home, in the late evening, a squawk from on high turned out to be what I assume was the same Stork (an immature specimen ringed in France) flying over my allotment in Saltburn! A little detective work confirmed that it had recently left Spurn for pastures new. What are the chances of that happening then?

Here's a link to some far better pics than mine ( I believe I spoke with this person - the pics are from the same vantage point) : Black Stork at Spurn. - SOUTHELLA BIRDER

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
You are indeed very fortunate to live in such a beautiful part of this county of ours. Lovely report, even if it doesn't mention so much as a 16 hook !

And some folk ask why we go fishing.............

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
You are indeed very fortunate to live in such a beautiful part of this county of ours. Lovely report, even if it doesn't mention so much as a 16 hook !

And some folk ask why we go fishing.............

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Popped down to a campsite close to Spurn Head. The fishing was very average, but the Black Heron that arrived in the marshy field to the rear of the site made the trip a magical experience. Add in a gaggle of Little Egrets, Alba Wagtails, a lone Wood Sandpiper, hunting male Marsh Harrier and a 2 hour daylight hunting display from a Short-eared Owl (amongst many other birds) and it could hardly have been better.

Thats quite a list of birds and after looking up Alba wagtail as I have never heard of them it appears they are usually referred to as white wagtails, I never knew of them but, they are a distinct species from the pied wagtail; I never knew that. Once had the pleasure of watching short eared owls hunting once over fields as I packed up fishing in the twilight, it was quite mesmerizing.
Apologies to go off subject but that's a notable bird watch.