Thames: River Thames - is it fishing for anyone else?

njb51

Reaction score
Roving with worms and cheesepaste i'd say. Building up a swim doesnt seem to be working for everyone so I think you'd be better off trying to find them, rather than the other way round.

tuolumne fisher

Reaction score
met a buddy at kingston this morning, i fished for carp under my feet, he fished a third of the way out with pellets, i blanked, he had a couple of bream, after two hours we moved to sunbury fishing a single rod for barbel with pellets, loads of leaves and no bites

A

alan whittington

Jim i felt that i could have caught on the float Saturday,and because of the amount of indication i felt the chublets were peckish,but i was talking to a fella who had been catching fish on legered worm,not massive but 12ozs upto a 1lb or so,so that may be the best option.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
I think I'll have a bit of a rove... the river looks ok at the moment, lots of pace and a fair bit of colour... isn't that what we've been crying out for? I'll let you know how it goes...

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Back in feb 07 a friend of mine and I went to Pangbourne Child Beale,the flow was fast enough to need dead cow leads on our cage feeders,after a few hours fishing and catching small roach,he tried a method and showed me .
This involved catapulting out 2 kilos of heavy groundbait(black turbo) mixed with a few handfuls of mole hill earth and 2 pints of casters.
By critically balancing the weight of the feeder so it just held bottom, with the aid of a bow in the line,he cast out with double maggot on a 20 hook,set close to the feeder(8 ins) and let it settle,then by standing up and lifting his rod and dislodging the feeder making it tumble along,when it settled and stopped again,most times a bite was felt,resulting in big roach. I tried it and caught amongst others a 1lb 12oz roach which is pictured in gallery.
He called me last night to say he had fished near oxford yesterday, and the method had worked a treat once more with 9 roach over a pound,albeit for only short periods during the day. If he left it static he hardly got a bite.
Anyone used or heard of this method,it would obviously work on other big pacey rivers.

A

alan whittington

At one time on the middle Severn Peter the only way to catch any amount of barbel was to bounce the feeder.

Alan Campbell

Reaction score
Medley this Sunday. Looks like the Perch Bay is favourite with all the extra water it's carrying. Feeder, Flat float/pole and pole/feeder should hopefully snare a few fish!

A

alan whittington

Medley this Sunday. Looks like the Perch Bay is favourite with all the extra water it's carrying. Feeder, Flat float/pole and pole/feeder should hopefully snare a few fish!

Where is all this water,unless its come up this week,for when i fished it Saturday Alan it had a little bit on but not more than it should,the week before had a bit more mind.

Alan Campbell

Reaction score
The river is in the meadow at Medley. Plenty off pace when I went over Donnington on Thursday. You will get it shortly Alan. Got a good soaking this morning as well!

A

alan whittington

Wish i hadnt asked Alan,went today had 1 bream(3lb),2 skimmers(1lbish),plenty of leaf still in the river making fishing a pain.

tuolumne fisher

Reaction score
met a buddy at molesey yesterday morning, we fished a heavy feeder rig with pellets, after an hour a boater stopped to advise us of an 800 boat regatta taking place at ten, after picking myself up from the mud after this previously unknown considerate behaviour, we packed away sharpish and high tailed it to shepperton, repeating the feeder method for three hours we nabbed a few obligs [bream], returning that evening we fished a variety of baits for three hours, sadly despite the strong wind in our faces and persistent rain we caught naff all

Alan Campbell

Reaction score
2 bites one 11oz chub on the pole/feeder. Enough for first place though at Medley. Colour and pace(on the inside) looked spot on but nothing was having it!. **** day all round. Anyone else venture out on the Thames today!

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
A single 11oz chub from the Medley?
Not fished there for 20 years, has the fishing gone that far downhill there or is it just that they're not feeding?
We'd get bream,chub and roach there back then and heard of barbel coming out from the vhannel.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
I fished three swims on Friday on the main river in Abingdon on the Abbey gardens side, not a touch in any of them... ended up fishing for an hour on the relief channel and caught seven or eight really nice roach on float fished maggots. Biggest was probably half a pound, not massive I know but they were queing up which made a nice change this season!

A

alan whittington

Well Jim i bought 3pts of maggies for last Saturday,saw the river and left them in the car.

tuolumne fisher

Reaction score
fished for carp under the branches during the tide, saw a tip of a carps tail, had a single bleep, then realised my line was over a new twig, damn,damn, damn,
boy is it up and coloured

tuolumne fisher

Reaction score
put a buddy on the spot I fished yesterday and went to work, got the call to come and photo an 18.08 mirror
dont you just love this fishing lark

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
2 weeks to go to the annual christmas match at kingston,canbury gdns.
If it is up and coloured as you desribe Jim,will it be Cadbury gdns:eek:
Time to dig out the dead cows methinks.

tuolumne fisher

Reaction score
met a buddy on the tidal after he had blanked for a couple of hours at sunbury, fished a slack for pike, o.k., conditions were pants, but last year in same conditions it produced big time, but not today, moved to the tree swim for the tide, dangling for carp, only the oblig showed and what an oblig, colour wise it looked like one of its parents was a koi,
its up, coloured and chucking more at us, happy days