So what is the Magic Marker ?

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
The weight where they become " Proper ", 8lbs, 9lbs, 10lbs, 11lbs or 12lbs ?

A few years ago on a stretch of the Ouse above Bedford, 15lbs would have been the Marker, now it's more likely to be 8lbs.

Strange this weight thing ?

Bob

sam vimes

Reaction score
It's always depended on where and when you are fishing, as far as I'm concerned. Breaking the 10lb mark is pretty special on the bulk of the northern (north of the Humber;)) rivers. Not fish that I'd expect to create any interest in most anglers from further south.

On my occasional forays to the Trent, I'd generally not even weigh a barbel unless I suspected that it was at least eleven pounds or so. On some days you'd spend more time weighing fish than actually fishing if you did weigh more.

Bluenose

Reaction score
I've had 2 x 8's out of the river dane, I rate those every bit as good as my one and only double from the dove.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Sure is a strange thing Bob this obsession with weight.

A fish from a Northern spate river is called a big fish at say 10lb, whilst a big fish from a warmer southern river is called big at say 14lb. In reality though it matters not a jot as any barbel is a "proper" barbel.

cg74

Reaction score
Sure is a strange thing Bob this obsession with weight.

A fish from a Northern spate river is called a big fish at say 10lb, whilst a big fish from a warmer southern river is called big at say 14lb. In reality though it matters not a jot as any barbel is a "proper" barbel.

Wanting the biggest isn't really that strange and has been a part of angling since humans first fished for pleasure and weight is only a means to quantify that, it could be length, whatever, striving to improve our bests is human nature.

I take you are one of those anglers who says things like; "there's more to angling than catching."
But for many of us, catching is our primary goal and its the challenge coupled with our (hopeful) results that gives us our pleasure/rewards.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As someone who has had the "Big Fish Red Mist" descend just as many times (possibly more) as the best and the worst of them, I reckon it's "horses for courses" (like an a 8-13 barb I had a very years ago from a trickle, a sidestream of a tributary of a tributary of a tributary, just four and a half feet wide - I took a tape measure to it afterwards) and, above all, "smelling the roses along the way". If you can't do the latter, then you are not very long for Angling.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The "Magic Marker" is just an aiming point for me.
My best fish from any river, and that's about it.

I had a target (perhaps another thread?) for a barbel every month of the year, I did that, so it's no longer a target.

Nathan Walter

Reaction score
That's a nice quote Ron and all too true. I also agree with Paul, there is far more to fishing than the catching, well for me anyway. Don't get me wrong, I love to catch fish and that is my primary reason for going. However if you can't appreciate the wonderful settings, the countryside, the smells and sights, the amazing wildlife, the friendships and companionship of others, the challenge and above all being in a fit and healthy enough state to actually go and and enjoy these things in the first place, then shame on you.

sam vimes

Reaction score
if you can't appreciate the wonderful settings, the countryside, the smells and sights, the amazing wildlife, the friendships and companionship of others, the challenge and above all being in a fit and healthy enough state to actually go and and enjoy these things in the first place, then shame on you.

I can appreciate all those things but without catching the odd one or two they amount to ****** all, as far as I'm concerned. I can do all those things without humping fishing gear to a bankside and without paying good money to fish. Oh, and there's no shame whatsoever in someone thinking differently to you.

Nathan Walter

Reaction score
Perhaps you missed the point Sam? I clearly stated the primary reason for going is to catch and that for me there's more to it than just that. Agreed that by finishing with the statement "shame on you" perhaps is unfair on those that can only find pleasure in catching.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Why is it that lots of posters on here confuse- Target Weights (Magic Markers) with not enjoying their surroundings or the pleasure of Just Being There.

Do they think angler who catch Target weights don't enjoy where they fish or the smaller fish they catch.

Maybe it's their incompetance and their lack of angling skill or the area of the country they live in, which precludes them from catching or aiming to catch Big Fish or at least Target weight fish ?

It's all too easy to say, It's about " Being There " that counts, don't they think Big Fish angler are there and appreciate the way of nature ?

Or is it beyond their wit to see, we all go fishing to enjoy ourselves :confused:

Bob

Nathan Walter

Reaction score
Bob that's a pretty cheap shot. We all enjoy the catching, that's why we go. I enjoy catching big fish of any species and they are my primary target but I still enjoy the catching. What's being said is that for me fishing is a wonderful form of escapism. I love the countryside and everything that goes with it. For me angling is about having the opportunity to be able to enjoy a multitude of experiences.

I wonder whether in this day and age the 'must catch' attitude that is becoming more prevalent, means that people simply put themselves under too much pressure to enjoy what's around them. Ultimately that's their choice of course. If they enjoy it, then good for them, it's not for me or anyone else to criticize what makes them tick.

However when the questions are posed on an open forum then you are going to get a mixed number of responses. I don't think my response was a personal attack on anyone or anyone's motives, so I don't see why yours should be either.

dezza

Reaction score
I think what a lot of people are concerned with is that through circumstances such as location, available time and most of all, the financial where-with-all to do it, they might not, in the eyes of others, be considered a good angler.

Yet they probably are excellent anglers.

What they should try and understand are the reasons why we go fishing. I mentioned the quote by RL Surtees, but there is another one that has kept me happy with my fishing for the past few years now.

"We don't want the fish; what we do want is the pleasure we obtain by overcoming the difficulties of catching them."

Now I don't have to tell you who wrote that, but it is great angling philosophy make no mistake.

Another great quote from the same author:

"I would much rather catch a 1 pound roach from the Ouse than a 2 pounder from a dead easy water".

I have met in my life two types of anglers I often feel sorry for. Firstly there is the guy who would not put a rod and reel together if there was not a cash prize to be fished for. Then there is the other who would also not put a rod together if there was not the chance of catching a personal best.

Last edited:

Steve Pope

Reaction score
When I'm fishing "seriously" for myself I hope and expect to catch doubles, thats being totally honest.

I'm not there to smell the roses, I do believe there is a lot of old baloney written about that.

I enjoy every barbel I catch, that goes without saying, but its a double that does it for me.

I'm well past the point where its an obsession and I won't make too many sacrifices in the pursuit of "doubles" and if as is often the case the day goes by without any action a fourpounder will ultimately bring a huge smile.

Every one is different and rightly so.

dezza

Reaction score
I wonder whether in this day and age the 'must catch' attitude that is becoming more prevalent, means that people simply put themselves under too much pressure to enjoy what's around them. Ultimately that's their choice of course. If they enjoy it, then good for them, it's not for me or anyone else to criticize what makes them tick.

It's all about "Baggin Up" - Innit?

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Simon K

Reaction score
I have met in my life two types of anglers I often feel sorry for. Firstly there is the guy who would not put a rod and reel together if there was not a cash prize to be fished for. Then there is the other who would also not put a rod together if there was not the chance of catching a personal best.

Why feel sorry for them Ron? Isn't that a mite patronising?
Surely they're fishing on their own terms (which we all do), which is their personal choice to make, not yours to judge?

I buy my (limited number of) club tickets on the basis that the venues hold a potential personal best.
I don't expect to catch one every time I go, but the fact that they're in there gives me a target to aim for, for myself. If I didn't have that attitude I might as well fish Bob's garden pond or the local carp puddle. I'd see just as much wildlife!

Without that mindset, you'd slip into complacency, fish the same way for the same thing at the same place, learn nothing because you'd have no reason to learn or question, have no drive to improve your angling because you have nothing to prove to anyone, or better to target.

The trout anglers "Angling Hell"?

dezza

Reaction score
When I'm fishing "seriously" for myself I hope and expect to catch doubles, thats being totally honest.

Steve,

What is your attutude if you catch a barbel of 9lbs 15 oz that is in the peak of condition and fights like stink, compared with catching say a 14 pounder that is in a sorry state with half a dorsal fin and comes in like a sack of spuds!