So what is the Magic Marker ?

cg74

Reaction score
[quote
Bite...fight...one of the same. QUOTE]

They certainly are not.

The bite sets the pulse going as it's the unknown (is it going to develop, is it a barbel ), unless of course you are fishing for the same group of fish as allways and virtually know what you're going to hook.

The fight so often is either over quickly or a total let down as a big fish justs plods around, so no setting my pulse racing.

Judas, I agree. For me a bite is just another piece in the jig-saw of catching the target fish and because I normally fish for barbel using a 4oz quiver tip, its only a part of reading what is happening under the water.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This thread was hyjacked by the Being there Mob, I still don't think they get it ?

The thread was about the Changing Marker Weight on some rivers because of the decline of the fisheries ( Adams Mill ).

We are all out there, doing our own thing, but some seem to think everyone should see it by their own standards.

I too hate that foookin 'Being there Mob' already...

As bad as the Judean Peoples Front...

Monty Python - Life of Brian - PFJ Splitters - YouTube

Wish you'd mentioned at the start of the thread that 'The thread was about the Changing Marker Weight on some rivers because of the decline of the fisheries ( Adams Mill )'.

Caught a 'tiddler' zander by marker weight standards on the Severn tonight at 11lb 10oz and was gutted to find it didn't reach my personal benchmark of 40% of the venue record :)

I set my personal targets according to the potential of the water; but every session is a joy whether successful or not.

As for the bite, or the fight, or the fish? That seems to me to be splitting hairs... my adrenaline is always pumping from stage one, and then may get progressively more or less depending on stages 2 and 3. Either way it's all good and part of a process I love....

Glad we managed to identify another dangerous faction in the whisker-trapping fraternity (the BTMs or 'Being There Mob'... bar-stewards!); there's far too much 'bonhomie' here for a proper barbel thread ;)

Last edited:

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
"Glad we managed to identify another dangerous faction in the whisker-trapping fraternity (the BTMs or 'Being There's'... bar-stewards!); there's far too much 'bonhomie' here for a proper barbel thread"

I was only thinking the same myself!!:rolleyes::D:D

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes, we can't have anybody enjoying themselves and, heaven forbid, not fishing as if their life depended on it...

Boote's Barbel Club

Rules

1) Any Member seen smiling or laughing and generally not taking things seriously will be a) warned in the first instance; b) be forced to wear an uncool non-camo jacket with "Noddy" printed on its front and back in fluorescent orange in the second instance; c) Be termed "Serious Carp Fisher" in the event of a third infringement and be made to hang with such sorts until the Committee deems they have been punished enough...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, we can't have anybody enjoying themselves and, heaven forbid, not fishing as if their life depended on it...

Boote's Barbel Club

Rules

1) Any Member seen smiling or laughing and generally not taking things seriously will be a) warned in the first instance; b) be forced to wear an uncool non-camo jacket with "Noddy" printed on its front and back in fluorescent orange in the second instance; c) Be termed "Serious Carp Fisher" in the event of a third infringement and be made to hang with such sorts until the Committee deems they have been punished enough...

Lol!

No smiling from me tonight Captain Boote... promise! Can I join the club? ;)

I was too busy shaking from adrenaline at three distinct moments...

First, the bite... a tiny, tiny quiver on the tip but a wave of adrenalin, then the fight... big Z's play dirty... aah! And then the apprehension and unhooking of the beast... Wow! One of the longest doubles I've ever seen! Bl**dy Magic in all three conjoined, but distinct phases!

http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/members/****y-angling-trust-pac--albums-river-magic-picture2947-11lb-10oz-november-2011.jpg

Sadly I went off my t*ts (doll out of of pram etc) when the scales showed a pawltry 11lb 10oz, nearly 9lb below the British record, so I've now given up fishing...

I mean c'mon 2 hours wasted, sat in a T-shirt in mid-November with my best mate talking bowl arcs and having a laugh, on the mightiest of rivers for a mere 11lb 10oz... :eek:mg:

I'm on crochetmagic.com from now on... angling's dumbass! :confused:

Last edited:

Simon K

Reaction score
****y, were you in Sigue Sigue Sputnik by any chance?

If not, where can I get a Realtree (with "Real" Tree) camo hat like yours? :)

Fantastic Zed, by the way. Very well done indeed. ;)

And in answer to the rest............................

WWTDD. ;)

Reaction score
****y, were you in Sigue Sigue Sputnik by any chance?

If not, where can I get a Realtree (with "Real" Tree) camo hat like yours? :)

Fantastic Zed, by the way. Very well done indeed. ;)

And in answer to the rest............................

WWTDD. ;)

Lol! I see your of 'a certain age' like me...

It used to be who could remember the WW2 and spitfires... and now it's all Love Missiles, F1-11s and Sputs... What is zarbelling coming to:D?

Sigue Sigue Sputnik - Love Missile F1-11 (uncensored) - YouTube

'There goes my love, Robin Red...'; a classic line!

Those boys knew their boilies... ;)

hugo curgudgeon

Reaction score
As someone who has had the "Big Fish Red Mist" descend just as many times (possibly more) as the best and the worst of them, I reckon it's "horses for courses" (like an a 8-13 barb I had a very years ago from a trickle, a sidestream of a tributary of a tributary of a tributary, just four and a half feet wide - I took a tape measure to it afterwards) and, above all, "smelling the roses along the way". If you can't do the latter, then you are not very long for Angling.

I could not have put it better myself.

Hugo

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Yes, thats far more like it:)

Although I understood very little off it :confused:

I only have one Magic Marker to pass and that is a Double fig, Zander.

I can then hold my head up high in the world off Zandermen, I will of course carry on fishing the Ouse and only weigh Zs that look like doubles and any unwanted Pike over the 20lb mark :w

Bob

iain

Reaction score
I think that obviously all things are relative,i think most of us would like to catch the fish that shake river records etc,but its not the one reason to fish. A 10lb barbel is a nice fish anywhere,but obviously a more significant capture on a river thats record is 12lb than on a river thats done an 18lber. I do get the feeling when reading some things that theres a fair bit of willy measuring going on with size of fish lol.. in reality ,a relative newcomer could put a lump of spam on a size 2,chuck it mid river without a clue of the toppography of where theyve just cast,and pull in the river record,the bloke in the next pag could be a chap who catches consistantly having put in effort and using watercraft gained from years of experience,but he may never hook the fish that the novice 30 yds up/downstream has just gone and caught,lol.
To me,i love being there,no other thoughts in my head ,just the surroundings and my mind hopefully working out how to catch what i intend to catch. A lot of the time im on my own but i sometimes like to fish with mates too,i enjoy the bite ,the fight etc and as i freequent a shallow and often low /clear stretch i like watching fish for hours,their reaction to bait ,where they lay up,where they feed etc--the whole of fishing is a different world,as soon as im fishing ive sort of stepped into a different world.
As for size of fish,obviously i like catching big fish,but getting it right and putting fish on the bank irrospective of whether its 6lb or 12lb is still pleasing.
Last winter was bloody hard work lol,very cold so each barbel was a pleasing capture,although i had a few on boilie/paste,i also had a lot of fun with the maggot feeder in some very cold conditions,hoping for barbel on maggots/casters,,i did catch some barbel but also a variety of other species including a couple of bullheads lol!!
sometimes i think that angling has got a bit sad,too many seem worried about sixe of fish all the time,and are maybe not enjoying the whole package.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Good reply Ian.

I think most anglers can appreciate your sentiments, I have even taken to taking along a small Bird book for identification purposes.

And there is nothing more pleasing than to see a Kingfisher land on your rod or a Robin taking bread from your fingers.

Fishing by it's very nature is in natural surroundings, be it Natures or Human hand.

I love sitting quitely by a river or lake just watching the world go by, but I also like the thought that the next time my rod tip goes round or the buzzer calls or that centrepin ratchet screems, I will catch a Fish of my Dreams, a New P.B.

That does not mean I do not appreciate all that nature has to offer or that I'm disapointed if the next fish is not a P. B., far from it, I'm always glad to land any fish.

Different Strokes for Different Folks !!

Bob

Keith M

Reaction score
I agree with your sentiments above.

I used to set myself targets when I was younger but now that I am getting a little bit older (and wiser?) I don’t set myself any targets other than to consistently enjoy my angling.
A lot of times I am quite happy if I catch a pair of barbel and will often pack my rods away after just two even though I know I could catch more if i recast.

The other week I got a great deal of satisfaction from catching a 4.5lb Barbel from a tiny stretch of stream which was only 4 or 5 ft across and 2ft deep and covered by tree branches; and the week before I was catching 7lb and 9lb Barbel from a much wider and deeper stretch of stream further downstream where I have previously had the odd double from, and as long as I am still enjoying my fishing I won’t be too disappointed if I don’t catch another double.

Yes it would be nice to catch another double but if I don’t catch another one I don’t really care as long as I am catching large fish of any species for the water I am fishing, whether it is a 5lb fish from a small overgrown stretch of stream using a centrepin or a 13lb fish from a more conventional stretch on a fixed spool I don’t really care, I get my kicks from enjoying my fishing and the countryside and wildlife, and no longer get too excited from beating targets.
Sometimes I get more pleasure from just watching and observing the fish than for casting a bait to them, and possibly spooking them in the process.

Does that make me any worse as an angler?

Last edited:

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Bloody good post Iain. I hope lots of people read it.

Big fish are relative and angling should be fun.

--------

Ron,

What exactly does that mean ?

Relative to what, the fish in the river you are fishing, the Fish that were once in the River or the fish you have caught from the river ?

Or is it a comparison to the fish you catch in the Trent, compared to the fish you catch in the Rother, Don or Ure ?

And all angling should be fun or whats the point in going !!

Bob

dezza

Reaction score

Simple Bob, a 6 pound Swale barbel is a darned good one whilst on the Trent It would be very average. Not that I would curse the Trent 6 pounder, for often fish of this weight are the best scrappers.

And if I catch a 5 pounder from the Rother during the next few weeks I shall be pleased.

And I see many anglers who don't seem to be enjoying what they do.

I met one matchman a little while ago who told me he had not won a bean in 12 months and was packing in fishing.

Last edited:

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Simple Bob, a 6 pound Swale barbel is a darned good one whilst on the Trent It would be very average. Not that I would curse the Trent 6 pounder, for often fish of this weight are the best scrappers.

And if I catch a 5 pounder from the Rother during the next few weeks I shall be pleased.

And I see many anglers who don't seem to be enjoying what they do.

I met one matchman a little while ago who told me he had not won a bean in 12 months and was packing in fishing.

------

Ron,

As you know, Match Fishing is totally artificial, the whole concept, from setting a Man made time (5hrs), fishing a section of River Canal or Still water designated by man and fishing for cash or prizes put up by man?

All totally Man Made and it's no wonder the get feed up with it ?

But getting back to the thread, if a 21lb Barbel is caught from a section of river, then going on the 3/4 of the Biggest weight ever caught from that water is a Specimen to be aimed at (15.4) ?

But what happens if those fish Die !!

Do we start again ?

Does the section of river now hold even a 10lb Barbel ?

If it does then a 71/2lb Barbel mush be considered the specimen weight !!

Bob

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That showed up well at Adams Mill, one "day" the place was packed with £300(ish per season) the next "day" back to the MKAA members package at £35 a year!

Last edited:

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
The idea that a fish needs to be a certain size to be worthly is behond me

I've caught carp of about 5 or 6 lb that ahve fought better than a 10lb fish

i'd much rather catch a carp of say 16lb that had a decent shape than a 35lb with a big gut like a northerner in a string vest

a small rudd shiny in the sun - it's golden flanks relecting the rays is a thing of beauty

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
The nicest carp i have seen was a 7iber - it was absolutely immaculate, lean, deeply coloured and scale perfect. Appeared like it had never been caught. Pristine and fit. Also seen 20Ibers built like pot-bellied pigs with atrocious mouth damage. I know what i would rather catch.