The nicest people I've met on the bank!

Jeff

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been a coarse fisherman since childhood, but recently I decided that I would have a crack at fly fishing for a fresh challenge...

I have been fly fishing 3 times now, on 3 seperate venues, and have really enjoyed myself so far having caught several fish to 4lb 8oz.

Other than the fishing, there is one thing that has really suprized me about fly fishing, and that is just what an amazingly friendly and helpful bunch of people you find on the bank!!!

In just those 3 sessions I have been given more help, advice and freebie flies and other bits of tackle than I ever had in some 20 years of coarse fishing.

I've had people invite me to fish with them, showing my how and when to present a Mayfly resulting in me catching my first dry-fly caught rainbow. While on other occasions I've had passing anglers stop to help me with my casting.

Lastly, and to my amazment, I have several times been approached by nearby anglers to tell me what they are catching on, which you rarely, if ever, get in coarse fishing!

Furthermore, they proceed to check my fly box for me to see if I have that particular fly. If not, they not only insist upon give me a fly, but also show me how to set up and present it!!!

Basically, in no less terms, I can put my hand on my heart and say that I have never felt so welcomed as a novice in any other branch of angling as I have in the game fishing circle.

Fly fishers, I salute you!!!

Jeff

The Bone Collector

Reaction score
You will find that attitude exist on many waters throughout the country jeff possibly apart from competion anglers, often where money is at stake.

For some reason help advice and assistance is freely given without expecting reward.

I suppose it's simply because we are nicer people!

Where's my coat!!!

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

And game anglers don't throw Pike up the bank do they?

Jeff

Reaction score
It goes without saying that competition anglers should of course keep their cards close to their chest while competing...

However the majority of anglers that have so far helped me have been match boys who while on a days pleasure fishing have been nothing but warm, friendly and helpful.

I just wish more coarse-pleasure-anglers could be the same towards beginners instead of offering the usual muttered grumble and a cold shoulder...

That goes for all you guys who hide behind your bivvy wanting to be left alone! Be more sociable and we can all learn together!!!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Jeff,

You have to look at it another way, game anglers are very mobile, the majority of coarse anglers are not. If you came and sat behind me whilst we were coarse fishing I would answer all your questions and offer advice and guidance if possible. I would even give you a hook, float or bait (which I have done in the past to others). You are right in one sense, but in general you have to allow for the differing styles of fishing.

I'm nice and Baz is too ;-)

Jeff

Reaction score
Baz,

I have not seen this as yet, but have been around fishing long enough to know that this undoubtably goes on in some quaters...

This kind of act I would only put down to stupidy and ignorance, for any angler with a scrap of sense knows that the pike actually serves to keep a water and its fish stocks healthy as it picks off the weak, injured, diseased and dead fish...

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

And there is one well respected Course angler on this site who has witnessed a Pike being kicked to death by a game angler.

I just like to keep the record straight.

The Bone Collector

Reaction score
Wasn't anyone I knew, most of them just get the priest out, after all don't want slime on those expensive wading shoes its a bugger to remove.

Jeff

Reaction score
Steve,

I haven't meant this thread to be about putting the boot into coarse anglers, but I guess I have generalised a bit. Of course I have met many nice helpful coarse anglers in my time, most, for some reason, on rivers.

I guess it is to our bivvied-up lake dwelling carp-boys that I am referring to, most of which I barely ever get little more than a frosty look and a few strained comments from if I'm lucky...

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Actually, I find the Carp anglers the best out of the lot.