The nicest people I've met on the bank!

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
Brendan, in response to your earlier post which I've only just read - yes, I've met Martin James. Several times. I only started angling late last year. I emailed him at Radio Lancashire for advice about local fishing clubs. In response, instead of being fobbed off with a stock reply as many top anglers do, I got a message to phone him, which I did, and he invited me out onto the River Ribble for a day's fishing. He helped me to catch my very first chub, a beauty of 3lb 11oz, which is an experience that I'll never forget, and also gave me lots of invaluable advice.

I then told him, just in passing, about my interest in fly fishing. He's since had me out on the River Ribble three times, and just this weekend helped me to land my first fish on the fly. An awesome experience. It was a brilliant day.

He's a real gentleman. A true ambassador for the sport of angling. I suggest that you contact him. If he has a free day, I'm sure he'll be happy to take you out. By the way, he doesn't charge anything for his guiding and tuition. He is just satisfied with seeing his guests catching fish. I think he got more pleasure out of my fish than I did.

Janet

Reaction score
janet
i think i read youre thread about him
if i am up i will lisan to him but as i work nights i am not normally up at thet time tbh
he does sound a very nice guy the fishermans answer to murry walker if you know wot i mean
i did try to contact him about 12 months ago but i didnt get a reply probley got an old link or something ( maybe my spelling put him off lol )
i dont know monk but if he says the martin is sound i will take it he is ( and you too janet)
it just goes to show how happy he is to watch you catch fish in the fact he doesnt charge to show you how to fish

F

Fred Bonney

Brendan,At the Water's Edge - with Martin James, is available on Listen Again.
Go to the BBC website and look for Radio Lancashire.

Smashing Lancashire accent!

T

The Monk

Hi Brendon

Yes Martin is one of the nicest guys in angling, he has helped me put on events and all sorts of things, i`ve done a number of radio programmes for him and he puts a lot into the political side of angling in promoting the sport and being involved with the groups who support angling, please send him my kindest regards if you contact him.

Will Carter

Reaction score
All who have given Martin the thumbs up i can totally agree with.

I first spoke to him regarding Barbel fishing on the River Kennet where i gathered he fished from his writings and as it is my local river now, i asked for some advice. Ever since that first call Martin has been nothing other than a great help and has become a good friend, and as Janet says a true gentleman.

To see him on the bank you wouldn't think he is of the age that he is, as his enthusiasm and willingness to help all who need it is second to none. He willingly will give up his time and put you in the right swims or show you different methods of fishing, which i must say all seem so simple after but things you wouldn't even consider doing as most people are brainwashed by the weeklies and monthly magazines which tell you you must use this bait or this rod etc. Martin will take the time to explain his suggestions, then they make sense.

If any of you get the chance to fish with this man in any aspect of our wonderful sport i suggest you do so as you will probably learn more in a few hours than you would in years of reading magazines or watching telly.

I must say i have met many nice and helpful anglers on the bank over the years, and most are great, even the famous ones with just a few exceptions.

Will