The nicest people I've met on the bank!

Jeff

Reaction score
Really Baz, you can't be serious...? or perhaps we live on different planets...

I'll make you right that they're all very nice and helpful on here, but when you approach most while they are fishing their water and they are rarely forthcoming, while covering up their bait packets etc so you can't see what they're using...

And god forbid I ever come back as a bream or tench that gets caught by a carp angler... I've seen a fair few of the above mentioned returned to the water in, shall we say a flying manner by a humpy carper as he grumbles about his precious swim having been ruined!

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Christ Jeff, that kind of attitude died out years ago around here. I went out at the weekend. Before I even got through the door I had a phone call, bring your cup mate for a brew.

The following day, other Carpers gave me some of their stir fry.
The most ignorant and arrogant of the lot are match anglers. G. Whatmore was a match angler you know.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I'm not ignoring you B.C. the postings are getting crossed now .

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Jeff that's just classic paronoid carper behavior ,covering packets up and that....tut tut feel ashamed feel very ashamed them people.But them brummie matchy types are the worst in my experince pure skullduggery was at work for him to get an island peg WITH CARP INIT.

The Bone Collector

Reaction score
Its a fact that in all walks you will find ignorant Rissoles. I fished for carp for over thirty years, not exclusively but for the vast majority of the time, still do on occasions.

In that time I have met many wonderful people and some out and out scum. In fairness the bulk of carpers are OK guys with a friendly helpful attitude once they get to know you.

Interestingly many of the non talkers I have come across are raw beginners and possibly afraid of communicating because they don't want to be seen as that dreaded word the noddy.

Thankfully today that image is wearing thin due to the huge amount of newcomers to the sport, although it still persist with some of the lads in the gang who have served their two year apprenticeship.

I can concur that on many commercial trout fisheries there is a very friendly atmosphere and as Jeff points out it certainly is nice to see such a refreshing attitude in this day and age.

This could possibly down to the vast majority of anglers being over a certain age. Most of the anglers are over middle age and I suspect many of them have seen it all before, done it and bought the shirt.

But even so and such is life, you will still get the odd Mr R Sole.

B

Brendan Ince i carnt spell

ok slightly diffrent point of view to this thread
only bean fishing now for about one year i went fishing on my holls loved it desided then thet i wonted to take it up
asked a mate at work about it told me to buy a job lot of carp gear from any tackle shop and he would take me to a lake .
i did this he took me showed me how to tie one knot and told me to get on with it i did catch one thet day
i feel like i am going to go on abit hear so i will cut it short
joined a club this year wigan daa meet loads of very nice people who are willing and eager to show and offer advice
one guy who is a member of this site went way out of his way to show me how to fish a diffrent way and i now class him as a mate
so to me its not the type of fishing you do its the type of people you meet thet give good advice
a club is alot nicer to learn then a day water imo ?
and if you are reading this ?? i am buying a barbel rod next week hint hint lol

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

BC has again submitted the most sensible post on this matter. There are sh*thouses and decent people in all branches of angling.

I must admit that the worst experience I ever had came from a group of match anglers in 1996.

I was fishing my own club's bit of the Avon near Warwick. I had had a good morning with several very nice chub I had extracted from beneith a raft.

As I was packing up, a number of match anglers arrived on the opposite bank and they ALL started shouting at me in the most awful and intimidating way. The language was horrendous.

And I had every right to be there!

T

The Monk

some of the nicest people I`ve met on the bank, the canal bank, was the Ramsbottom and District over 30s womens jogging team, lovely girls everyone of them, it was great to watch them bouncing up and down the tow path! The stretch I used to fish was crap, but I still fished there regularly every sunday morning to see these little (and some big)angels strutting their stuff

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Eerr,

Well that would be the case with you mate!

C

Colin North, the one and only

Here's my tuppence worth. It is an unfortunate fact that on most reservoirs that fly fisherman use, it is a rule of the proprietors that no fish caught should be returned to the water, or risk a ban if you do return them alive and get caught. I've seen scores of big Perch, huge Pike and other coarse fish left on the bank at Bewl and other places.

Same could be said about some Salmon fishers on the Annan and the Nith, responsible for chucking huge Chub into bushes and in years gone by, many Trout fisherman emptying some stretches of river of Grayling. Thank god both of these latter practises have now all but ceased.

Narrow minded proprietors and some narrow minded anglers. Curse them.

T

The Monk

yes I`ve seen it happen on the Nith and Annan Colin when I used to do a bit of salmon and sea trout fishing back in the 70s, it was a terrible practice, just pure ignorance really

C

Monk, I guess that you and I may be about the same age,although I think I may have fished the Annan and the Nith in the 60's so you may be a tad younger. I'm a 1946 vintage.

T

The Monk

55 Colin, yes we had a spell running up those parts in the early 70s before the carp bug took hold

C

Monk, did you get to fish the Ae or Kinnel water? Big chub in there!

T

The Monk

No I didnt Colin, we dropped back to Castle (Maben) Loch at one point though for the Eels

C

Monk, I fished Castle Loch a couple of times, without success. Also, me and three mates used to go araound the 9 hole golf course at Lochmaben, with one set of clubs bewteen us. Never saw any other golfers.

Ed, I take you mean that you were just a younster then, or are you older than me?