The Barbel Society

The bad one

Reaction score
Excellent stuff the Barbel Society! I wholeheartedly agree and support this Project.

Could I offer onepiece of advice to anybody taking part in this exercise. The spawning beds will be on gravels, generally on riffles (shallowish rapids). So please approach them slowly and carefully, as to not scare the fish. Other riverine fish at slightly different times use the same beds. Please treat their spawning activity with the same degree of respect as you would the barbel.

All riverine fish lay their eggs in such places so they can gain as muchoxygenated water passing over them as possible. If fish are spooked, there is a danger that those eggs become dislodged and drift away on the current into deep water where the oxygen levels arn't great enough for them to hatch.

So please be mindful of this!

F

Fred Bonney

Phil, thanks much appreciated

Wethink youradviceis very relevant, may we useit elsewhere please.

johnnyfby

Reaction score
when month do barbel spawn on the Trent?

Cheers

johnny

stuart clough

Reaction score
This is an excellent idea. On a practical level, however,an angler observing barbel milling around over gravel in early June is very different to having "evidence" of succesful deposition and fertilisation of eggs. Will there be a way of filtering the reports to extract the real observations of actual spawning activityu, from other similar activities?

The previous comment regarding not disturbing the apparently spawning fish is also important. One of the main arguments for maintaining a close season on rivers is to allow the fish, nesting birds and river banks three months without disturbance. It is important that this survey doesn't encourage anglers to negate this benefit. As anglers, many of us would be tempted to take a bucket of bait with us and feed up a few spots, which could also be counterproductive.

I don't want to be a wet blanket, as I think this is a good idea in principle, but I can see some potential for unintended consequences.

R

Ray Wood 1

It might be prudent at this point to advise anyone contemplating taking part in this venture to read their club books. A lot of clubs bar their members from walking the banks during the close season as their leases and insurance only cover the open fishing season.

If your club imposes such a rule you risk possible disciplinary action if you break that rule.

So not only could you find yourself in trouble, your club might also fall foul of it lease with the riparian owner

Kind regards

Ray

John Bunyan

Reaction score
johnny when they are ready/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Ray that,s always assuming that the barbel spawn in the close season over the next few years of the survey/forum/smilies/thinking_smiley.gif

R

Ray Wood 1

John, as most of us know fish spawn when things are right i.e. water temperature, given this is a fact spawning can obviously occur during the close season or indeed during the season.

My post did not indicate that fish only spawn during the close season; it was in fact a polite warning to anyone contemplating walking the banks out of season trying to observe fish in the process of spawning. I would not want anyone to fall foul of club rules would you?

Kind regards

Ray

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Just check with the riparian owner. For permission.

I you explain why you are going to be there then i can see no problem regarding clubs as you are not there as a member. There by not breaking there rules.

With regards to the shallows being disturbed don't forget the game anglers. If you see them there. Remember they have a right to be there to. We will be there when there fish are spawning.

W

whiskerton

I have and have had ten or so different club books over the years.I have never seen a stipulation,such as ray mentions.

Which clubs have you come accross that ban such close season activity,ray?

mike

R

Ray Wood 1

Asking the riparian owner may be a way around being on his land during the close season. I posted a polite warning to anyone who could fall foul of club rules.

Regards

Ray

W

whiskerton

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ray Wood 1 wrote (see</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

A lot of clubs bar their members from walking the banks during the close season </blockquote>

Just wondered if you could name a few you may have come across?

regards

mike

John Peach

Reaction score
The barbel society don,t allow members on there fisheries during the close season except on work parties or as they call them fishery enhancement programmes bit pretentious that.

So they want others to watch spawning barbel but won,t allow it on there waters unless there,s been a rule change since i last had a BC ticket.

Is that what your hinting at Ray

R

Ray Wood 1

John, I am not hinting at anything and certainly not the BS and I hope that’s clear to everyone!

I have belonged to clubs that have imposed that rule. My initial post was not aimed at the BS and as I don’t hold tickets for any of their waters I was unaware of their rules regarding their own fisheries.

It might have been prudent for them to have included this fact in their National Spawning Survey announcement, along with the suggestion of anyone who wished to be involved to check their clubs rules.

Kind regards

Ray

John Peach

Reaction score
Ok Ray, you must admit it,s weird that the BS doesn,t allow people on there banks during the close but wants others to disturb there own club waters unless there has been a rule change sure Fred will let us know.

I myself haven,t been in a club except the BS that had that rule which clubs did you mean.

F

Fred Bonney

People were asked on the BS site for their views on the wording, before it was issued.

Did youmake the pointwhen askedRay?

Anyway, hopefully anglers will have the sense to do that, and already know the rules of their fisheries.

If they don't alreadyknow the rules in their club books, there's little point in telling them.

John Peach

Reaction score
Right then fred does that mean The BS fishery members won,t be allowed to be a spawn spotters on your waters

Yes or no would be nice

John Peach

Reaction score
Ok if baliffs are sufficient why didn,t you approach clubs and ask them to use there baliffs rather than encourange everyone to wander about the rivers during the close disturbing not only the spawning fish but the nesting birds as well.