The Barbel Society

R

Ray Wood 1

“People were asked on the BS site for their views on the wording, before it was issued”.Members were asked if they had any “views” on formulating such a list of spawning sites. I can see no mention of the membership being asked to put forward ideas for the wording of the Statement now on many websites.

I am sure you will correct me as you clearly appear to want to take this elsewhere other than my polite warning.I had no need to make points to the committee it is their job and yours as Communications Officer to ensure you put out the right messages.

“If they don't alreadyknow the rules in their club books, there's little point in telling them”.

I find that statement quite remarkable, so rather than include a short statement to ensure no one falls foul of club rules you think there is no “POINT IN TELLING THEM” and these are the people you seek help from!

You must be running out of feet to shoot yourself in.

My post was a polite warning to anyone contemplating helping the BS and nothing more. You may now find after you’re dismissive post that the number of helpers may very well drop.

F

Fred Bonney

Simple answer JP, it is easier to get the message out the way we have.

Hopefully, thosefollow the rules of their club, will discuss this with the clubs they belong to and move it on from there.

F

Fred Bonney

Oh dear Ray, it is on the site. I'm very surprised you haven't seen it though.

If you had noneed to make points to the committee why put them on here.

My guess is, most of those who visit the rivers will be authorised to do so,those that don't read the rule book, will probably be out buying their seasons supply of boilies and pellets.

You know as well as I do,that only those truly interested will be out looking.

Apathy Rules!!

You can have the last word, because I can't see where I can take it elsewhere?.

R

Ray Wood 1

It's on the site. Perhaps you would like to piont me in the right direction then?

F

Fred Bonney

It's on the front page, Thread headed<u> Barbel Spawning Sites </u>

R

Ray Wood 1

You mean a post that only asks for “comments” which again does not suggest the membership have a say in the wording of the statement. I suppose it all depends on what interpretation you put on words like "Views and Comments!

I suspect you do? But this doesn’t cover your discourteous post regarding those you seek help from does it.You are rather dismissive of your felow anglers "out buying boilies and pellets apathy rules" I am sure you have helped the cause no end by those remarks.

So that's the last word then...or is it?

F

Fred Bonney

Yep!

Unless of course, you have another question to ask that you can't/won't ask on the members forum.

R

Ray Wood 1

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Fred Bonney wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Yep!

Unless of course, you have another question to ask that you can't/won't ask on the members forum.</blockquote>

You never disappoint do you, not content with having no answers you resort to try to suggest I either won’t or can’t ask questions on the BS forum. Let me answer that veiled comment as follows “I post where and when I chose” until you entered this topic I had asked no questions.

What I posted was a polite warning to my fellow anglers suggesting they should read their club cards nothing sinister in that. I later answered a question which suggested I might be hinting at the Barbel Society. I thought I made it quite clear that I was hinting at nobody and certainly not the Barbel Society. I added to that that it might have been prudent for the Society to have added a short piece in the statement to cover being on a river bank out of season again nothing sinister.

I have just read the topic you highlighted on here and nowhere within that topic does it suggest that the membership will or would have had a say in its wording.

So let me reiterate I was not the one asking question you actually asked me questions to which you had my replies.As you have come on here in your official role of Communications Officer you might consider if you have the necessary skills to fill such a role which are. * Understanding how communications work* To gain active listening and responding skills* Seeing things from other points of view* Managing your assumption more effectively* Understanding your own strengths* How others may see you

* How to handle difficult people or situations

Judging by your discourteous and dismissive treatment of those you seek help from I doubt you have any of those qualities.

Your fellow committee members might also be thinking the same; your bull in a china shop attitude does neither you nor the Society you serve any favours.My posts were not harmful to the BS and were not intended to be so,not sure the same can be said for yours. As you have now run off with your ball this really is the “LAST” word

F

Fred Bonney

"I suppose it all depends on what interpretation you put on words like "Views and Comments!"

I rest my case fellow readers.

You make your own minds up!

F

Fred Bonney

Stuart, I will let you know.

But, and this is my personal view, at the very least those that take part.

R

Ray Wood 1

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Fred Bonney wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

"I suppose it all depends on what interpretation you put on words like "Views and Comments!"

I rest my case fellow readers.

You make your own minds up!</blockquote>

Oh dear,

So what "comments" and "views" really means that if expressed give you the right to form the wording of statements issued by the Comminications Officer! Oh really/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif you had me LMBO there/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

You rest your case you may even have to pack it shortly/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

F

Fred Bonney

/forum/smilies/disappointed_smiley.gifEh?/forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/eye_rolling_smiley.gif

The bad one

Reaction score
Here's my take on this with my diplomatic head on "Now there's a rarity for me/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Editor please note/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

I'm neither a BS member or Know Ray. I have met Fred once.......more of that in while.

I read Ray's post as he describes a "friendly warning" to people, who's clubs may have such rules, no more no less! Whilst I've never been in a club that has such rules, I could see the point he was making.

Both Fred and I have exchanged differing views on hear many, many times. But until recently never having met in person. On meeting we got on like house on fire aided and abetted by just a few pints of Thawaites cask Ale. BTW Fred, Sam Smiths the black sheep of the Smiths family, does a Wheat Organic Beer. Now that is good and well worth a slurp at.

Fred's a bit like me, writes it as he sees it and doesn't flower it up!

In person, I've found him to bea different person to what he may comeacross as on here.

Right that's the sucking up done/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif Now I'm going to make some suggestions with temerity.

Would it not be helpful if the BS issued s training sheet to accompany this project for the spotters to work to. Lets call it "a best practice guide to spotting." It would encompass the points I made above The checking of club rules, landowner consent where needed, Other do's and don'ts, etc. It should be published on all websites where the press release has been issued at a minimum.

OK diplomacy over resume the war/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

R

Ray Wood 1

Nice post bad one, maybe we will have a beer or two one day. No war on my part at least, can’t say or speak for anyone else maybe I am like a red rag to your once met drinking buddy.

But when innuendo is used to suggest to other posters certain things I will answer the call.

I hope your suggestions are taken on board then perhaps he will write them as he sees them.

Regard

Ray

John Bunyan

Reaction score
sitting here having my fist coffee and catching up,and trying to understand your posts

it seems tome Ray in your heart of hearts you know your wrong

you were wrong by not making your point on your own forum and you knowin your hearty of hearts that average angler who you say will be upset by what Fred wrote won't give a fig about this survey.

Your now showing a classicsigns of a wrigglerwho's still arguing ibet you argue with yourself

Ihope for the barbel socitys sake you aren't after Freds job

off to work now have agood one all

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Why is it that whenever the BS or the Barbel is mentioned we seem to get the full range of comments from the mawkish to the downright combative?

The Barbel is just one species of the 38 that swim inthe freshwaters of Great britain, and yet it seems to conjure more vitriol than all the other 37 added together.

Regardless of the wording, and comments arising from the BS Survey, as anglers we should be happy that something positive appears to being done to discover (and then hopefully protect) this most provactive of fish.

R

Ray Wood 1

John, let me first of all assure you I don’t want Fred’s job./forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gifSecondly I have never wriggled in my life; I stick by what I have posted.Fred came on here with the intention of having a row because it’s “me” posting.He made veiled suggestion and received my answers too that suggestion. As for being wrong and heart of hearts you are way off the mark./forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gifKind regardsRay