Carp Recipes

• Thread starter Ron Troversial Clay
  • Start date
R

Ron Troversial Clay

Seeing that carp are probably the most numerous freshwater species in England, it's about time we discussed a few ways of cooking them.

I've eaten carp on many occasions in my life and provided the fish has been caught from a clean water, they can indeed be very good eating.

First catch your carp. A fish of about 5 lbs is ideal. Knock the fish between the eyes with a small hammer. A trout priest is not heavy enough.

Start at the vent and make an incision through the stomach up towards the gills. Get out all the guts and gills. A stomach autopsy might help you find out just what carp eat. Most of the time a carp will eat anything that is edible.

Cut off the head and fins. Stuff the stomach cavity with onions, sage and a good sausage meat. Make several cuts in the skin, a leather carp makes this easy and then wrap in tinfoil after a good sprinkling of sea salt and black pepper.

Prepare a slow barbie and cook for at least 1 hour, turning often. The flesh should flake easy and pull away from the backbone.

Serve with mashed potatoes, tomato gravy, peas and Mediterranean salad. Best wine is a good Cape Chardonnay.

Bon Appetite.

S

sash

Ron, Ron, Ron you really will never learn.

Apart from that they are eaten at Christmas in Germany, Austria and Hungary I believe.

W

Wolfman Woody

Well said Rik!!! Can I supply the mains fuse, please oh please!!!

I've eaten carp as well, some mirrors that were well prepared and they did taste nice, but not exceptional. I never forget seeing a nice pair of them on Tesco's slab once and the day after met a couple of guys from the EA fisheries. When I told them about the mirrors they simply said - that's what they were bred for.

W

Wolfman Woody

Here's one you'll find it hard to believe. The in-laws are Polish and in Poland carp is the main Christmas fayre. One of the f-i-l's mates bought one and put it in the sink - alive still. Where he got it I never asked, this was some years ago. In the morning he thought someone had broken in and stolen his carp - disappeared.

They started watching TV and drinking tea and having breakfast when they heard a slapping from behind the settee. There was the carp, still alive. Not for long though.

A Wayne

Reaction score
Didn't we have a Russian on here at one point that wanted to eat Barbel? Or is that another wind up?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
The one thing, at least, that Ron has going for him in spades, is that he posts under his own name and takes the flak in his stride.

He knows he's winding you up, you know he's winding you up, but he always gets a bite!

S

Stuart Dennis 2

I do love your ways Ron as you know, and its great that you still get a bite or two whilst sitting in your pi55ed soaked cardi in the wheeley chair. However, i'd say it muts have been at least four decades ago where your mouth had been remotely near the taste of fish let alone carp!

Dirty old Codger!

R

Ron Troversial Clay

What's so special about carp then? No different to cod you know. They were selectively bred over hundreds of years for one reason - food.

An there are probably more small carp in the ponds of England than there are cod in the North Sea at present.

No shortage of them at all.

S

Stuart Dennis 2

An expensive food though Ron, ask Wol? He pays thousands of pounds every year for not a lot!

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Don't eat the big carp. Fish over about 8lbs are tasteless.

It's the 2 to 5 pounders that eat the best.

Ask the Poles.

L

Les Clark

Come on Ron,are you sitting there bored? your loseing your touch mate,no shock value in this one,we all know that carp were introduced by the monk for a food sorce.
MUST try harder!

Joskin

Reaction score
I have a fish cook book at home and in it there are pictures and recepies for cooking Carp, Bream, Barbel, Catfish, Grayling, Gudgeon, Roach, Tench, Pike, Zander and even Perch. so if your a half decent fisherman you could feed yourself every time you go fishing. (apparently if you pour boiling water over a Tench it will help to remove all of those tiney scales!

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Make sure you clonk it on the head first.

Tench are particularly good eating. I once ate an Irish one and have had a dish consisting of tench in aspic in Poland.

Very good.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Perch are one of the tastiest -----
off the hook ,gutted,and in the pan in about 3 minutes ---now THATS what you call fresh......