Carp Recipes

• Thread starter Ron Troversial Clay
  • Start date

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
Anyone got the recipe for Tench where it's wrapped between two pieces of Balsa wood, seasoned etc, wrapped again in damp newspaper and baked?

I remember the puchline being, "Throw away the Tench and eat the Balsa",,,,,might have been a Fred J thing.

W

Wolfman Woody

"March Hares"! Implying that WE are all mad? Not I - I have nothing to do with that lot, at all!!!

I think you might find Murray that it was an Irish recipe for bream and you were supposed to nail it to a 2" thick piece of oak. Steam it over a pan for 9 hours and then etc.... Walker certainly used it in one of his pieces so it could have originated from Fred J.

Another of Walker's was when he was asked by some passing old gal why he was bashing a poor little trout on the head. He said that if he didn't, it tended to splash the fat around the kitchen when he fried it.

N

Nick Austin 2

my dad reckons that in the olden days!... they used to go down to the loddon after a flood and look for PIKE that had been caught up in the ditches,and make sort of tuna steaks out of them.... he'd never catch a fish to eat it, god bless him, he's made an art form out of KNOTTING!.. lol

S

Stuart Bullard 3

Eaten carp many times in Honk Kong / Far East. Steamed, spring onions and soy. As someon said earlier, its not even a native fish.

However, for some reason I wouldn't eat it in the UK.....just wouldn't feel right.

Anyone had horse meat? Now that is lovely and I would have no hesitation having that again. Good ol Shergar Keeeeeebabs, yummmy.

J

Jack the Lad

I got the wrong idea. I thought this thread was about recipes for carp mixes.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I've tried eating just about every freshwater fish in England in my time. Here's my judgment on their culinary values, starting with the best.

1: Zander - absolutely wonderful, cook then how you like. They are one of the most delicious fish in the world.

2: Perch - Patsy & BV loved them. They have a deightful nutty flavour.

3: Sea trout - better than Salmon.

4: Eels: very tasty indeed, especially done in aspic.

5: Grayling: very good, do not over cook.

6: Gudgeon: A bit small but very tasty. Make a nice sandwich.

7: Rainbow trout: A fit silvery reservoir grown on fish with pink flesh can be excellent.

8: Salmon: Avoid like the plague farmed salmon.

9: Brown Trout: Can be disappointing compared with rainbows. I ate a few from the upper Shannon two years ago and they were very good.

10: Tench: Quite good if taken from a clean water. Irish tench are excellent.

11: Pike: vary a lot. I cooked a jack from the Warks Avon a few years ago that a matchman killed. Not bad but watch out for the bones.

12: Roach: Edible - just about.

13: Rudd: watery.

14: Bream: even more watery.

15: Chub: Uuuurrrgh!!

I've never eaten barbel, dace or bleak to my knowledge

A

andrew jackson

Ron you have missed Carp off your list. I for one would be very interested to learn how you rate them compared to other freshwater fish.

W

Wolfman Woody

Ron, you can't beat a filet of barbel cooked in thyme, garlic and butter and served with a buere blanc or hollandaise sauce.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I think I would put carp between tench and brown trout.

Big ones are truly horrible.

N

Nick Austin 2

surely, once the nurses start liquidising your food it all starts to taste the same ron?..... specially when your other main diet comprises of werthers originals and stale cream crackers!

C

Cakey

The Roachcatchers once release a recipe for roach that work quite nicely

yummy yummy

W

Wolfman Woody

3 pounders are best as you get a nice fillet off the tail and can throw the rest back in then.

K

Kev Richmond

Have shamefully not visited or posted on here for a while - thanks for this thread and the 'Euthanasia, is it appropriate?' thread; brought tears of laughter to my eyes. It's good to see anglers not taking themselves so seriously as those on other forums.....

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
You don't wanna waste the 3 pounders as food Monkey, stick a good size 10 treble in em and stick em out for the Cats, they love em!!!