3 tonns of bait, a tow rope and a spare 3 months

B

Big Rik

I don't think the lead was the issue baz.
Semi fixed leads needs to be incoporated with the right rig for the job.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sorry Rik,
It was mentioned earlier about using free running leads and semi fixed leads.But as you say it's horses for courses on what a person is comfy with.
I have personally never gone into the semi fixed lead set ups. Another reason for not doing so was because everybody was useing them.

Were they originally used for distance fishing? as striking a hook home at 70 yds or whatever would be difficult, so was the idea for the fish to hook themselves by using a semi fixed lead?

B

Big Rik

no, the idea behind it was to get shy feeding carp to prick themselves on an exposed hook and cause them to bolt away in panic, producing a strikeable run, instead of the unhittable twitches that were in evidence before that.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Ba z the semi fixed lead is for the carps safty if it reaches a snag it can pull out of the lead and if a break occurs loose the hook later as in a running rig. These are the only type of bolt rig i will use. I dont agree with the fixed ones. Not saying there wrong before you all gang up on me. Its just i don't like them.

B

Big Rik

I don't think anybody will gang up on you if your stance is for rig safety Bryan.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Bryan,
Fixed leads are wrong mate. Most if not all clubs have banned them now.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

nothing wrong with a fixed feeder Rik provided it releases at 1 1/2 lbs pressure !

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

that would be funny Frothey but we are talking fish welfare and there's nowt funny about fish welfare.

Powergum used properly is very fish friendly.

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
I spend most autumn and winter on the rivers after chub and perch and for the last two seasons have done quite a lot of carp and tench fishing during the spring/summer.

What I have found when targeting a few species is there is fun in all methods, whether it is semifixed leads and alarms or two ssg link legers and 3lb bottoms.

Most negative comments about a style of fishing are made by people that have never tried that style, or want to.

I have enjoyed fishing for lots of species, chub, perch, carp, tench, bream and barbel and it would have been hard to catch them all in the same way.
But I still love chubbing and perching best!

W

Wolfman Woody

I acquired a style of feeder fishing from some of the lads on the A4 team (used to be Mustad A4 Vikings) and that involved placing the feeder in a loop of line (about 18-20"). The bottom 4-5inches were then knotted every 1" or so to stiffen it even more.

The purpose of the loop is just to stop the feeder from keep running up the line to the rod tip when you want to change bait and fill the feeder and it works very well. The main line is 4lb or stronger and the hooklength never more than 2.5lb. I can count on one hand the number of times I have broken and lost a feeder above the loop (barring thos that boats have claimed) in all 15 years or so of using this method.

I tend not to use it much these days because of these rules, but do the people who come up with the rules really know what they're talking about or do they regularly talk through their rrrrs?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Monkey,
I saw Jan Porter demonstrating that three loop rig and tried it myself some years ago. I caught lots of fish, or what I should say they hooked themselves as it is a kind of fixed bolt rig. Luckilly I never got snapped on them only at the weaker hook link, but that was a good number of years ago.

W

Wolfman Woody

Mines nothing like semi or fixed bolt rig Baz. You still have to notice the bites, usually drop-backs, and hit them. That's the key though and always was - weaker hook links.

The times you should worry about "death rigs" is where the hook link is stronger (as it can be with carp stiff rigs) than the mainline. One of John Wilson's favourite methods is a link tied with a four turn water knot and Bob Nudd used the same on stillwaters. I just think everyone is jumping on the "angling PC" bandwagon these days, some eejot says it's wrong and everyone follows suit.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think youre right there mate.
There are also a number of contradictory people about. Who can be so full of their own self imposed importance it's laughable.

B

Big Rik

" nothing wrong with a fixed feeder Rik provided it releases at 1 1/2 lbs pressure !"

"The main line is 4lb or stronger and the hooklength never more than 2.5lb"

too many inconsistencies.

fixed feeder loops are fixed rigs whatever the BS of the line.

just because 2% of the populace can set up and use them correctly, doesn't mean that they should be allowed.

M

Monkey Magic!

i would say that a SEMI-FIXED lead is a bolt rig, method rigs are bolt rigs,feeders on loops are bolt rigs arn't they?....

As for the carp gear argument... i think blaming the Heavy Gear (i'm talking rods here..), is a bit off.... some of us who use heavy gear do so because we are confident that we can still play fish in a sporting manner.... if i use a 3lb rod for carp fishing, that does not mean i hit every strike like Zorro, and wind in like fury!!!!!.... wouldn't catch much like that would i?...

Most of this argument comes from the traditionalist, "i was there first, doing it this way" brigade....(or they WISHED they were!!)

F

Frothey

people complain about carp rigs tethering smaller fish, what about if an 4oz fish hooks up on a 2.5lb hooklink......aint going to break it (easily)

but then you cant worry about everything that MAY happen, use what your happy with thats safe for whichever species you fish for....