A pole or Not

dalesman

Reaction score
Trying to justify to myself to be buying a pole, last used one about 16 years ago when I matched every weekend now I mainly fish rivers and then rove with my 14' and 13' Rod and reel. And commercials with 13'

What's putting me off is all the all extras, pole roller, roost etc. Plus then if I splash out and find out I don't enjoy the pole anymore :-(

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have never tried the pole, I have often been told the advantage is in the presentation. There was a bloke using one on quite a small lake I fished the last time and it must have been 20-30ft long and it just looked out of place to me However, I have thought about it a few times to try out but I would just get the very basic kit to start with, probably second hand, I come across quite a few of them in used secondhand shops. Possibly not good ones but to try out first to see if I could like it and if I did not, I have not wasted a lot of money. But then there is all the extras that Dalesman mentions so it could all come to a tidy sum still. I would have to keep those costs down if I could and that might not be easy. So, I think I will leave it alone, apart from anything else it looks like a lot to carry about and that is not my thing anymore.

Last edited:

seth49

Reaction score
Never thought I’d ever posses a pole, but I’m on my second one now, just margin poles though, Ive never used the full ten metres on this one, I nearly always just use the top kit and two sections, plenty to catch fish were I go, I’ve two power top kits, one with size nine elastic for silvers tench etc, and one with size thirteen elastic for carp etc, my latest pole is the Preston edge monster, coupled with Preston dura slip elastic, best elastic I’ve used, soft enough for roach but soon powers up for bigger fish.

I had a good day with it last week various silvers, plus tench, F1s, and three carp and a barbel, I’ve had carp too just over fifteen pounds with it, so it handles bigger fish as well, I’m sure the presentation does help, can fish very accurately with it.

steve2

Reaction score
I have pole fished a lot in the past and will do again when the time and place are right. You are right about the extra tackle you need to fish it's a whole new ball game if you take it seriously. But it gives you a reason to visit a tackle shop and have an excuse to spend some money on shiny new tackle.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
So just out of interest, what would the whole lot come to, rollers, elastics, cups, pole etc., say two poles, a margin one and a long one. Just your average prices. Just out of interest, rough prices.

steve2

Reaction score
If you don't need a seatbox I expect to pay around £500 for a basic usable setup. You can get cheaper but I remember my first pole and I changed it within a few weeks for some thing better.

peterjg

Reaction score
Sorry, slightly off subject - can I pick your brains? I very occasionally use (not very well) an 8m whip, when I put it down to use another rod how do I secure the hook to stop it catching in the undergrowth?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
If you don't need a seatbox I expect to pay around £500 for a basic usable setup. You can get cheaper but I remember my first pole and I changed it within a few weeks for some thing better.
That's a lot of loot for presentation! I think I will stick to what I have.

steve2

Reaction score
Sorry, slightly off subject - can I pick your brains? I very occasionally use (not very well) an 8m whip, when I put it down to use another rod how do I secure the hook to stop it catching in the undergrowth?
You can buy elastic hook retainer that go on the pole.

john step

Reaction score
Put a plummet on the hook.

john step

Reaction score
As to the original question of pole or not.
May I go against the majority who think rollers and all the other gubbins are necessary?

It depends on what you want it for. If you dont intend to fish at those distances that require an expensive long pole then one get a workable pole for a lot less. As Peter says perhaps 2nd hand.

I have a couple of poles and to be honest I find 9 metres is about the moist I find comfortable length.
I have recently been playing with a 6 metre margin pole with heavy elastic which I intend to use on the river for tench come June.
I can hold back without breaking my wrist at that length.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Middy used to market a thing called ‘hook ups’ that fitted on the pole where you secured the hook through a little elastic eye.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
So just out of interest, what would the whole lot come to, rollers, elastics, cups, pole etc., say two poles, a margin one and a long one. Just your average prices. Just out of interest, rough prices.
You pay for what you get,
Buy cheap buy twice.
My set up is main pole £1300 ( they can go up to around £5500)
Margin poles around £500 that's for both I have.
Rollers £60 each ( have 3)
Pole roosts average £40
Then you have elastics and connectors for topkits and nose cone protectors,
For my Daiwa they came to around £40,
Works out cheaper than cracking the end of a section.
Elastics vary in price, I stick with tried and trusted Preston slip and Preston hollo.
Average £10 a topkit to elasticate it, that includes elastics and bungs and bushes.
Then you need a seatbox,
Spray bar if fishing long, ripple bar and pole sock.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
An elastic band, or loom band, I raided granddaughters loom band collection. Or tie a piece of pole elastic around the whip.

silvers

Reaction score
So, IMO if you were match fishing 16 years ago you’ve got a pretty good idea of what is really needed for pole fishing.
Frankly, I’m amazed that we ever caught anything 30 years ago before all of these “essential” accessories became de rigour!!

a pole sock or tulip is useful, but not essential.
I can fish to 14.5 m without rollers (if a little awkwardly) - just deploying a strategic rod bag
a seatbox is very helpful if fishing more than 10m or so.
a pole roost is only useful if you’re going to have more than 3 or 4 top kits set up
likewise a cupping kit, if you think that thrown ground bait might scare the fish?
elastics ... this is where you have to consider what scenarios you’re going to come across? would You need every grade of elastic, or perhaps just one or two different?

and realistically, poles have not moved on a huge amount in 20 years ... Daiwa’s tournament pro is still considered a flagship pole.