A pole or Not

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Dont forget to add a carryall and net bag in the mix.
Mind you I am doing more feeder fishing and pellet waggler fishing at the moment, so 80% of the time the roller bag not in use. If margin fishing I take spare roller and free standing roost loose in trolley bag.
Your Daiwa bag looks great. I’m going fishing now but will post a pic of my carryall later to explain the issue I have.

steve2

Reaction score
When I stopped match fishing the amount of tackle we were taking was getting ridiculous. When you consider these matches were all taking place on small commercials carp ponds and all you needed was a pole and a feeder rod most turned up with tackle shop in their cars.
It seemed to get to the stage of showing off what you had.and mines bigger than yours.
If I remember right the last match I fished I took 2 poles with 5 top kits, 2 margin poles, a feeder and pellet waggler rod. 3 keep nets, 2 landing nets, 2 pole rollers, seatbox with all the attachments. Not forgetting trolley and bait. No wonder we end up with back ache.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
This is my current arrangement.
The long legs can go in my rod hold-all - thanks for the suggestion.
The roller, whilst too big for the carryall, fits in the middle of the two compartments jutting out slightly but not really a problem.
Conclusion, I think I can carry on as is.

I’m now pondering do I need a free standing roost?

Attachments

• C5976BC1-783F-4C3E-8EC2-9C8787BF7BDC.jpeg
    C5976BC1-783F-4C3E-8EC2-9C8787BF7BDC.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 73

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
This is my current arrangement.
The long legs can go in my rod hold-all - thanks for the suggestion.
The roller, whilst too big for the carryall, fits in the middle of the two compartments jutting out slightly but not really a problem.
Conclusion, I think I can carry on as is.

I’m now pondering do I need a free standing roost?
Can you not keep long legs on your seat box, ?
The legs on mine are 500mm apart from rear left which is 750mm, this is for a couple of attachments going on that leg.
My free standing roost is a smaller Garbolino one, it's similar to pole roller but roost instead of roller in top. I have a PI 8 section roost on rear leg of box for end of topkits to sit,

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Can you not keep long legs on your seat box, ?
The legs on mine are 500mm apart from rear left which is 750mm, this is for a couple of attachments going on that leg.
My free standing roost is a smaller Garbolino one, it's similar to pole roller but roost instead of roller in top. I have a PI 8 section roost on rear leg of box for end of topkits to sit,
I use the long legs to support my side tray so they do not attach to the box. They are 750mm and used for attachments too.

I have a similar 8 section roost bar but am considering the type of fee standing roost you describe. At the moment my top kits / rods lie on the ground or a bag and are suspect me to gusts of wind.

I do have a 6 section PI roost but find setting it up and carrying it a palaver.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I use the long legs to support my side tray so they do not attach to the box. They are 750mm and used for attachments too.

I have a similar 8 section roost bar but am considering the type of fee standing roost you describe. At the moment my top kits / rods lie on the ground or a bag and are suspect me to gusts of wind.

I do have a 6 section PI roost but find setting it up and carrying it a palaver.
This is what I use for my rods or if just taking a couple of kits
You could try one of these for your topkits,pictured below, I know a few who use this
s-l300.jpg

s-l400.jpg

The ducks foot is for rods or a couple of topkits

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
This is what I use for my rods or if just taking a couple of kits
You could try one of these for your topkits,pictured below, I know a few who use this
View attachment 14281
View attachment 14280
The ducks foot is for rods or a couple of topkits
I have the older version of the top picture, don’t particularly like it.

I’m not sure if I’d be bothered setting the separate roost up? I’ve been eyeing up the Browning S line one?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Rod and reel fishing is so much simpler and natural imo.
Mike I have a ready rod holdall that has a made up feeder rod and a made up waggler rod in it, I have a stealth lite chair, a bivvy table, rod pod if I use 2 feeder rods instead, and a bag to carry bait and terminal tackle in. I use that if I want to travel light .if I dont use 2 feeder rods. The pod stays at home and I attach a feeder arm to the chair. Nice and simple.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Rod and reel fishing is so much simpler and natural imo.
The irony here is that a pole, line and hook is THE simplest way to fish, the invention of the reel was when things started to get complex!

Personally, rod and reel using a float is my preferred style, though I would put pole fishing above legering in preference. Each to their own I say.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
To clarify:
I have the Preston version of this but don’t like it.

Attachments

• EB86BA0F-ADBF-4175-8B89-19CDBF1F99CB.png
    EB86BA0F-ADBF-4175-8B89-19CDBF1F99CB.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 63

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
So I bought this (which I do like):

Attachments

• AC81244C-CC37-46BA-9BD8-B8D5469FC60C.png
    AC81244C-CC37-46BA-9BD8-B8D5469FC60C.png
    697.1 KB · Views: 69

bracket

Reaction score
Interesting thread this, with a diversity of viewpoints, which is always a good thing. I bought my first pole 30 odd years ago and have owned and used poles ever since. To put it in perspective, for me, a pole is on a par with: a feeder rod, waggler rod, stick float rod, carp rod, wand and whip etc. That is to say "It's just another club in the bag" to use in the right circumstances. Pete.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
But I’m debating getting this to complement it:

Attachments

• 9389E312-2004-448F-AD66-A368A2182667.png
    9389E312-2004-448F-AD66-A368A2182667.png
    926.7 KB · Views: 65