Ban on Hunting imminent?

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

"We interrupt this programme to bring you the urgent news that The Prince of Wales - Prince Charles and Mrs Camilla Parker-Bowles have both been arrested for taking part in a fox hunt."

Charles was seen riding the horse faced Parker Bowles down the lanes around Llanelli shouting "Tally Ho,Tally Ho"-while Parker Bowles was squealing "Yoiks,Yoiks "

R

Ron Troversial Clay

And the last time protesters got into the house was during the reign of Charles I.

Does this mean that the future Charles III might face execution at Tyburn Tree.

No doubt a second civil war might be possible, Tony Blair being the modern equivalent of Oliver Cromwell.

Just imagine the Headlines:

"There were amazing scenes today in North Wales as a huge army of hunt supporters from Porthmadog and Pwllheli prepared to march on London.

Almost 150,000 of them, armed with pikes, longbows, swords and axes; and clad in traditional medieval clothes marched down the valleys singing "Men of Harlech". Prepared to die for their traditional way of life and to rescue their beloved Charles, they were also joined by a further 40,000 Cornish hunt supporters who were mustered in Redruth. Charles father was not going to be left out of this.

The Cornishmen sang, not about Trelawney, but about Phillip, their beloved Duke and Charles of course.

To the strains of:

"Charlie is in keep and hold and Charlie he may die.

But forty thousand Cornish bold will know the reason why."

Watch this space. I have heard the Yorkshiremen and the Scousers may also want to fight.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In days of olde in Yorkshire Wold,
when Scoucers weren't invented.
They filched ye hubcaps off ye cart.
And it made ye,
feel contented.

J

John Hepworth

The media tell us there are 200 hunts, with 200,000 hunters Ron, each hunt has a higher average than Rotherham Utd can claim.
200,000! Bet your the guy who has always claimed there are 4,000,000 anglers Ron.

Get real; a few chinless wonders have/are about to, have their sweets taken away.
They will sulk for a while,have the occasional tantrum, and then just maybe, grow up to be useful human beings.
We can but hope.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Was this the same Charles Jardine who had something to do with egg collections?

I heard on a discussion programme today that the ban that came into force in Scotland on fox hunting. The threats of revolt never came to anything and is now accepted.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Charles Jardine is, I beleive, a decendant of the great Alfred Jardine' the Victorian big pike hunter. He invented the snap tackle.

The 200,000 is not the amount of people who hunt, but the amount of people that are connected to the hunt. People who look after horses, hounds, fox populations etc etc.

There is a very nice lady I sometimes see in my local who is connected to a hunt just north of Rotherham. She told me all sorts of things about fox hunting.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Behaving the way they did today, bursting into Parliament and rioting in the streets will do them no favours. It made them look just as bad as the anti's.
But this is the way they treat people (some of them). They think they can do what they like.

J

John Hepworth

"Can you imagine the news some time in the future.

"There were amazing scenes throughout the English and Welsh countryside today as over 200,000 foxhunters defied the recent ban which was made law by use of the Parliament Act".

MarT

Reaction score
Yeah a bit like the coppers!

I know there was some troublemakers there, but why were they smacking inniocent people over the head...just for quietly protesting?

I thought that was our right?

They done the same thing to the miners, kicking the sh*t out of them.

So it did,nt make them look to good either.

M

MaNick

RON SAID...
"I never lived under Thatcher of course so I am not really qualified to comment too much on her reign."

that says SO MUCH ron!....

MART SAID
"They done the same thing to the miners, kicking the sh*t out of them."

funny that... that was Thatchers gestapo police force that time wasn't it?...

REALLY, the protest was a bit pathetic if you ask me, there were not THAT MANY people there, and i think the numbers that are quoted for in favour of the hunt staying are MASSAGED to say the very least.

So what, a few folks got bopped on the head, incredible that these people are always innocent isn't it?...
If they'd have been "innocent" people theyd have thought
"**** this!, i'm moving back a bit!"

hehaheha

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
John notes:
"The media tell us there are 200 hunts, with 200,000 hunters Ron, each hunt has a higher average than Rotherham Utd can claim.
200,000! Bet your the guy who has always claimed there are 4,000,000 anglers Ron"

John,
On Boxing Day 2003, over 250,000 huntsmen and hunting related workers supported 350 Boxing Day Hunts across the Country.
Onyl 21 of these were targeted by Hunt Sabateurs.
(Source - The Times, December 27th. 2003)

Is that real enough for you?

It would be nice to see logical argument on this topic without descending to the ad hominem form, would it not?

I wonder where you and I will stand in years to come when it is Angling (in all forms) that the antis bring to the ill advised and ill educated Parliament.
How will you feel when your democratic rights are trampled by the enactment of an act that was never designed, not intended, to be used in this manner.

FOOD FOR CONSIDERABLE THOUGHT!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Unfortunately Peter some people can't see past the end of their noses, and when that situation arises they'll say 'well, I never thought that would have happened, its been out right to fish for centuries, we aren't cruel to fish so why ban us'.

J

John Hepworth

I always thought the organizers claimed 500,000 Ron, and it was you good self you started throwing the 200,000 number of foxhunters about.
As far as logical argument, how can ANYONE support the very notion of dogs being set on a warm blooded animal for FUN and PLEASURE.
Totally indefensible, in my humble opinion.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

There seems to me to be a solution to this ........

One of the main things people have against hunting is the "Hunting for sport" tag it has.
So, all the hunts people have to do is start eating the foxes that are caught and that would be the problem solved, they would then be hunting for food which would then make it ethical .......

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
It's the same with fishing, it's the fishing for sport that they always latch on to. If we ate what we caught (or at least claimed that's what we did......) it would change things dramatically.

W

Wolfman Woody

They could always sell the foxes to the Koreans. They like to eat dog, foxy flavoured of course. This would not only legitimise the sport, sorry pratice, but also help improve our export drive.

(shouldn't say that, one of my biggest customers is a Korean company.)

One things the protestors that broke into Parliament did for us is raise the question about the practicalities of the Seargent at Arms being the main security force. Even Dennis Skinner took the p155 out him years ago. Men with swords, lord help us. Not much good against an Uzi, but thankfully these were fairly peaceful people and NOT terrorists.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Absolutely correct Graham.

It is the very fact that we PUT THEM BACK that the antis object to.

I would ask you all to look at the example of Germany. I am sure Graham will enlighten us here as he has had some dealings with Germany and German anglers.

All I know about German angling laws is the following:

1: Fishing matches are forbidden.
2: Keepnets are forbidden.
3: All fish caught have to be killed.
4: All anglers have to be screened bfore being allowed to appy for a licence.
5: Only a limited amout of new fishing licences are available each year.
6: All anglers have to pas a practical and written examination to get a licence.
7: The cost of the licence is high.

If I am wrong, I am sure Graham will put me right.

If we are not careful, these are the sorts of laws we shall have in Britain one day. Angling won't be banned overnight. Just the gradual application of draconian laws on our sport, bit by bit. It may start with things like the banning of barbed hooks and livebaiting. But if we accept such things, it's the thin end of the wedge, make no mistake.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
John,

Throughout this thread I have steadfastly avoided airing my own views on Fox Hunting.

My entire argument has been based on the use of the Parliament Act.
If, and it is IMO a big IF, the case against Hunting was sufficiently prepared and argued, then WHY the need to invoke an act that has only been used 6 times since 1911?
If the case were sufficiently unbiased then it would have surely passed the Lords without amendment.
Sadly, and blantantly obviously, IT WAS NOT!

Further, the banning of hunting with dogs is, again in my opinion, simply the thin end of the wedge as far as this government is concerned. What next?
Ban Shooting?
Ban Fishing?

It is not a quantum leap of imagination, or argumentative powers, to make a very similar case against angling to that used by the voiciferous anti brigade against Fox Hunting.