Ban on Hunting imminent?

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Fully agree Peter.

In angling there is the thrill of the chase, the thrill of the bite and a succesful strike. Plus the fight which culminates in the fish being landed.

We have achieved all the essential stages of a succesful hunt.

Now come the biggest difference. With angling we can put that fish back alive. You can't do this with other branches of hunting.

W

Wolfman Woody

I don't know where you get the idea from that the fox hunter is there for the "thrill of the kill". That's when it's all over. It's the thrill of the chase, that's all. Just like waiting for a bite then striking it.

"If you think that is quick, what would you call slow?" How about 15 hours of convulsions and wreching after being poisoned, and that's before a vet's on hand to put the animal down. If there was no-one, the pain and torture could go on for days.

As for shooting - you said it Baz. Very clean and well done, but you have to spend time out there "calling" them. Suppose it's no different to fishing in that regard.

As Peter asks, how are you going to manage the fox population afterwards?

Why am I taking this stance? I couldn't give a .... either way.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

You have to be a good shot too. A lot of people I have seen shooting in my lifetime are lousy shots.

To me, the angling equivalent to a kill in shooting or hunting is when you finally get the landing net under the fish and say: "Gotcha!"

Playing the fish, stalking the fish and striking the fish is similar to the chase. If the fish gets off you are very annoyed aren't you.

At least I am.

The chase HAS to cumulate in a successful capture. And in hunting or shooting that means a kill. A fish in the net is the same thing.

But we don't have to kill that fish do we?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that poioning is outlawed in this country now, as it is far to indiscriminate. It would have a very seriouse knock on effect.
I said some time ago that the governments only plan of action against rabies being spread across the countryside was to use poisoned baits across a two mile wide strip of land.
see No badgers in my wood, by Phil Drabble.

As for managing the fox population, shooting is by far the best and quickest method.
The last time I called a fox up, it took 5 minuets to get it within twenty five yards of me.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sorry, but I can't give a political side to my discussion, but as stated , it will be politics that decides on this issue. And the Bambi side of things won't even get a mention.

M

MaNick

I dont think it's the "bambi" factor.

I also disagree that it's the "townie" factor.... I happen to come from a "town" but... believe it or not... we have COUNTRYSIDE around the outside of it.....

My family come from a farming background, not the type that drive around in ?30,000 pound computerised tractors!... the type that had to work FXXXXXG hard for a living, and because they always lived in tied cottages, left this beautiful land with next to nothing!...

I laugh when my dad tells his tales of the pet pig that used to follow him down the lane to school!... until they ATE it!...

I dont believe that even 1/2 of the "hunters" come from the countryside, and if they do, you can guarantee they make their money in TOWNS!...

So, before you spout your crap about a divided country of town folk and country folk, you should think a bit!...

Fox hunting is cruel, unfair, pointless and replaceable!...

The real issue, which has been stated, is that a ban is being RAMMED through parliament, when it should follow the true course of the legal system, then be banned anyway!
;-)

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Anyone who feels so strongly about fox hunting should pack in fishing too ----Fishing is hunting under another guise.....

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Of course angling is another form of hunting. And I've knocked a fair few fish on their heads before today including lots of trout, quite a few bass, perch, grayling, odd zander, pike and eels.

And lots of salt water species too.

E

Some foxes get caught and killed -some foxes get away

Some fish get caught and killed- some fish get away (intentionally and returned to the water)

Whats the difference ?

E

The hound is just a tool to catch the fox like a rod and line is a tool to catch a fish .....

J

John Hepworth

The sooner the bill is pushed through the better. Can't for the life of me see why there should be a period after for the hunters to fall in line. If it is made illegal then it should be from day one, not a gentle lead in.

alan

Reaction score
taking a fish and knocking it on the head to kill it cleanly is one thing, ripping a fox to shreds is another.

imagine the outcrys if someone got hold of a trout or bass and ripped it to shreds on the spot.

yes fishing is hunting, but its not the hunt that is being questioned, its the method of killing that is.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That's part of the politics of it John, they are trying to do it gently. This shows how much they value the life of a fox.
Agree with you though.