Ban on Hunting imminent?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes Nigel, and that IS the politics of it all.

Isaac Walton supported otter hunting okay, but that was a long time ago.

And it wasn't that long ago, that if a farmer refused permission for the hunt to cross his land, he would suddenly find that his credit had been stopped at the farm supplies or bank.
It may even still happen in certain areas.
Them and their bully boy tactics.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

and the fact is :
The alternatives - shooting, gassing, snaring or poisoning - would all inflict much more pain and suffering on the foxes.
Already, 10 times as many foxes are shot each year than are hunted to death. That figure would only increase if hunting was banned.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Those facts are wrong Ed. Poisoning is outlawed as being to indiscriminate.
Snaring, I think is illegal also.
That leaves gassing or shooting.
shooting is the quicker.

Are you sure you read ALL this thread?

T

THE PHOENIX

I'm trying out the other me, my alter-ego, to see if it can put forward a more simpathetic view.

"Many civilisations and cultures have to change ages old traditions after enlightenment, some might not like it or the interference from outside. In the end the fact is that the majority view should prevail." - ok, but bear this in mind. If a newspaper like the Sun took an anti-angling stance tomorrow the nation, should I say the majority view, would want your blood and angling would get banned within 18 months. Trust me (and Keith Arthur said that first).

Monk, there was some evidence provided at one time that poodles do not originate from your normal canine. I forget where it comes from, but many people who are allergic to dog hair can tollerate poodles. It is interesting that for these people guide dogs are raised from Labradors crossed with poodles to try and reduce the allergic reaction, they are called - labradoodles. HONESTLY!

N

Nigel Moors 2

Toffs aren't the only ones who like hunting ED. I'm not trying to say that, if you read all this thread and take in points made by several of us including MaNick you'd see that we know a lot of lower classes hunt. The difference is they would probably seek an alternative like drag hunting, it is the more well off better connected twerps with the clout who run a lot of the hunts and and have friends in high places. If not hunting would have been banned years ago.

T

THE PHOENIX

Oh b*****ks, it's not working.

Baz, have you thought that the reason fox pelts are thrown to the hounds is so that they will only chase foxes instead of careeing off chasing deer or rabbits or even that dear little lady's pussy.

It's no different to training a spaniel to sniff out cocain, marijuana and heroin. You wouldn't give them carrot cake or a packet of Woodbines, would you? Yes, sniffer dogs are junkies, to a point.

N

Nigel Moors 2

Monkey - what can I say? My own words appear to have hung me. The majority view and all that. I could only hope that if the scenario you depict were to occur that we would have a stronger moral argument based on the fact that 99% of us don't want to kill, are the environmental policemen blah blah. Either that or hope we are not in the minority.

Failing that boll*** to it, ban hunting cos I simply don't like but love fishing!

Who said it had to be fair.....

Sounds like a huntsman doesn't it?

M

Mel Crighton

And they die because of it, but just think of the drugs that would be on the streets without them, is this another justified way of killing an animal?this is no different to using poison to kill foxes, wether it be a slow death by drug inhalation in the search for illegal drugs or the discriminate poisoning to eradicate foxes.

T

The Phoenix (alias Cheeky Monkey)

Nigel, it would not make on jot of difference to the average Sun reader. If the paper said ban fishing, we would go and the ethics of it would not come into it. Besides, most Sun readers think 'ethics' is a county on the east side of London.

I just wonder what has happened in 50 years or so. We used to sing songs, as Ron has quoted, about John Peel and what about "A hunting we will go" where it mentions "catch a fox and put him in a box"! It's not PC now, but let's not have double standards. If we're going down the PC route there's an awful lot more that could change.

And it isn't just the toffs and "twerps" that go hunting. Quite a few engineers from a factory I worked at in Lincolnshire used to go.

There now, I'm trying to be nice as well.

T

Mel, just seen yoru post whilst I was away.

No mate, they don't die of drug exposure. Like I said they are addicts of a sort, but not like true junkies. They live to ripe old ages and are retired into good homes. I got this from my mate from when he worked the beat in Soho.

He'd worked with a dog team several times and they are lovely animals, but you are not allowed to cuddle them whilst they are working. One dog, a Labrador, sniffs almost everyone and if they are carrying he just sits down in front of them. Then the boys in blue carry out a search. 99% right every time.

N

Nigel Moors 2

Jeff - This thread really needs to be left alone until the big day I suppose as I've had enough now. It is nice to see you being all fluffy and friendly - it can't last! :eek:)

And I'm an engineer - who says that they can't be twerps?

E

And I wish I had a horse ---I'd have my own one-man hunt.......and kill them all ......

Tally Ho !!!!!!!

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Now who said recently if you don't want something to get noticed, put it in the Sun?

Not allowed to cuddle them while they are working? The way to get the best from a dog is to give it encouragement from time to time, while it is working. By way of voice, or touch. You ever see an attack dog get encouragement monkey, before it works?
I have done it, as an agitator, which is something I am good at.
Quee Jeff.
Did I spell Quee right sir?

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tally Ho indeed Edwin my good man.
Mind that low branch, Duck or Grouse.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
almost forgot Monkey,
The reason for throwing the fox pelt, or worse in, is so they rip it to pieces between them. Did you think of that?

E

"Now who said recently if you don't want something to get noticed, put it in the Sun?"

No good having anything in the Sun in Liverpool -----We don't buy the paper here --not since the Hillsborough Disaster

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That was my point Ed,
I saw a copy of the sun today in a skip, I couldn't resist a look. I think the paper had more trash in it than the skip.

T

Baz, it's not to give the sniffer dogs encouragement. The reason you're not allowed to touch them, stroke them or cuddle them is that you might spoil the scent (that's as good as I can put it, but I'm sure there's more tchnical terms than that) they have built up before they go on duty. Someone rubbing sweaty palms all over it's muzzle can throw it off what it's really looking for and ruin a whole night's work. If you've trained dogs, as you say, particularly in the seek and find routines you'll understand.

"The reason for throwing the fox pelt, or worse in, is so they rip it to pieces between them. Did you think of that?" - No. When I have the two maniacs, my daughters dogs, you throw a ball and they will fight for possession anyway. Again it's in a dog's nature and only Alpha dogs are better thought of by the remainder of the pack.

"Did I spell Quee right sir?" meaning? I've never heard of this word before.

And I thought the Sun always shone over Liverpool Ed.