Barbel Fishing – Attacking the Swim

richiekelly

Reaction score
Its pleasing that so many posts have been generated on the subject of safe/not safe rigs, the thing i find disturbing is the lack of aggreement on what is/isnt safe, we cant see under water obviously but i work on the principle that if you think there is the slightest chance of the rig causing problems to the fish that cant be seen dont use it.

Simon K

Reaction score
It's worked then ! ;)

As for your second point Si, I was going to say......but I won't! But, I suppose we must always assume the lowest common denominator when passing on information, and ignore those who feel afronted because they know it all?

I don't think people "feel affronted because they know it all", Fred (especially on this thread).

I think it's a case of people trying to present a Progressive outlook on something (the loop rig) that's been put forward as an acceptable practice, when it clearly doesn't conform to current angling wisdom.

I think it's not only acceptable, but desirable, that people should question this type of practice. As long as they stick to the subject and not make it a personal attack.
I have no doubt that there are plenty of anglers out there who use this rig, or a variant, regularly. It's threads like these, which can help to educate them.
After that, it's their choice whether they change or not.

As I mentioned though, in clubs which have a "no fixed rigs" rule, these can be enforced by bailiffs, which can help to eradicate bad practice.

There's no way on Earth that an 8lb loop of line can be classed as a "rotten bottom" such that a fish can easily break it should it become tethered.

Bear in mind that 8lb is often the minimum mainline strength recommended for barbel fishing!

bennygesserit

Reaction score
The thing is there seems to be a lot of confusion about what is safe or not , I would assume that a free running rig is the only safe bet

sam vimes

Reaction score
Avery helpfull post Sam.

Absolutely. Just reiterating the point that sticking hooks in fish then dragging them out of their natural environment is somewhat at odds with the more evangelic fish welfare message that some seem so keen on. If people want to go to the extreme with the fish welfare issue, stop fishing. It's the way forward.

richiekelly

Reaction score
Absolutely. Just reiterating the point that sticking hooks in fish then dragging them out of their natural environment is somewhat at odds with the more evangelic fish welfare message that some seem so keen on. If people want to go to the extreme with the fish welfare issue, stop fishing. It's the way forward.

If thats how you really feel Sam then perhaps you ought to consider giving up and joining p***.

sam vimes

Reaction score
If thats how you really feel Sam then perhaps you ought to consider giving up and joining p***.

I don't feel that way at all, I accept that there's an element of harm to fish and potential risk to fish inherent to angling. I've no problem with that, just as I've no problem with anyone trying to minimize potential risks. I've no intention of ever harming a fish but I know full well that accidents happen, even if it's just a greedy little perch engulfing a single maggot and being impossible to unhook without inflicting damage.

What gets on my wick is the puritanical stuff from those that seem to have to go one better every time. Trying to out do each other with how much they care and attacking others that may not come up to their standard of caring. Ultimately, it's not me that's banging on about fish welfare. I believe that those that are quite so evangelical are painting angling into a corner as the only way to guarantee that no fish has any possibility of harm is to put no "unnatural" bait into the water and not use hooks.

cg74

Reaction score
I don't feel that way at all, I accept that there's an element of harm to fish and potential risk to fish inherent to angling. I've no problem with that, just as I've no problem with anyone trying to minimize potential risks. I've no intention of ever harming a fish but I know full well that accidents happen, even if it's just a greedy little perch engulfing a single maggot and being impossible to unhook without inflicting damage.

What gets on my wick is the puritanical stuff from those that seem to have to go one better every time. Trying to out do each other with how much they care and attacking others that may not come up to their standard of caring. Ultimately, it's not me that's banging on about fish welfare. I believe that those that are quite so evangelical are painting angling into a corner as the only way to guarantee that no fish has any possibility of harm is to put no "unnatural" bait into the water and not use hooks.

That about sums up my sentiments too.

A simple risk assessment will be undertaken by thinking anglers, while the non-thinkers amongst us will not and no amount of preaching will change that!

It's not like you need a PhD in Angling to work it all out, is it?

I wasn't saying that Ron and The (not so) Wise One were wrong to use a fixed paternoster or a multi hook leader, I was merely highlighting how I fail to see how they can claim the moral high ground.

the wise one

Reaction score
Keepnet, 6lb mainline, pre-stretched lo-diameter hook length and hi-oil pellets..... 'Full house'

I've got some rope, lets hang 'im!!!

*Didn't notice an unhooking mat either, come on lads, lets string 'im up.

What is the view like on top of that high and mighty mountain, from where you sit and look down your nose at us mere mortals?

I suspect the boy doth protest too much:rolleyes:

You seem to have more twists and turns than a race track:wh

cg74

Reaction score
What is the view like on top of that high and mighty mountain, from where you sit and look down your nose at us mere mortals?

I suspect the boy doth protest too much:rolleyes:

You seem to have more twists and turns than a race track:wh

I can only assume your execution of sarcasm is as poor as mine?

Post #22:
Dave Roberts, for what it's worth my post quoted above was placed in jest. It really cracks me up when I read of the (perceived) ills of keepnets and watching Matt Hayes last night really brought it home; he gets a barbel in his landing net, with a split in its dorsal fin and immediately points out this injury and states "this is caused by using a keepnet for barbel"
I wouldn't mind but the oh-so-superior condescending Matt Hayes has a barbel in his net (a net made of bog standard woven mesh, not closed mesh carp-sack type material or a latex coated mesh) and puts it down on a pile of rocks; now that's fish care....

A well written article and I'm gradually learning to ignore product placement.
Just one question; why do you use shrink tubing, why not just do 5 or 6 more loops on your knotless knot?

Keep trying, it's amusing me The (anything but) Wise One.

"He doth protest too much." Seemingly not any need to, The (increasingly not very) Wise One.:wh

Last edited:
Reaction score
LADS LADS! Quick, get over onto the Bream Fishing at Bury Hill article thread. There's a photo of a load of bream and tench crammed into a landing net (on stony ground!).

---------- Post added at 14:58 ---------- Previous post was at 14:57 ----------

Furthermore, he mentions his feeder, line and hook - BUT NO MENTION OF THE RIG????

Could this be a hidden tether rig article?

Reaction score
I agree they are very important. Pound for pound they are the hardest fighting fish. But tench are the greenest and bream are the slimiest and most difficult to catch, so they are important too.