barbel on the pole

• Thread starter DANNY BOY SMITH
  • Start date
N

Neil Blood

I'm proud to say that I've only ever fished a commercial fishery once, and that was enough to put me off.

Don't dismiss 'Barbel on the pole' so easily. In the right swim its a deadly method and great fun too.

Neil

Jonathan Whitham

Reaction score
Apologies that I've come to this thread very late in the day. Some time ago I posted, tongue in cheek, on a local club website, about using a pole/pole-cup to deliver standard rod-fished terminal tackle very close to snags where barbel were lying. Often a cast would be out of the question due to the overhanging branches involved. What are other anglers thoughts on this?

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
I've no issues with that whatsoever, Jonathan. Indeed I used exactly that technique to place a friend's rig for him on a small river that produced a PB ten minutes later.

Some with argue it's unethical or fish at all costs but it's a damn site better than leaving baited hooks in a tree or bankside vegetation.

Providing the bait placement doesn't put a hooked fish at risk, ie, so close to a snag that the fish is in it before you can steer it away then go ahead and enjoy your fishing.

Not everyone has the ability to cast inch perfect and you'll face those who'll criticise your actions, but hey, it's you who's fishing, not them.

Too many folk these days are quick to tell you what you can't do rather than what you can.

E

EC

I have allowed carp angling mates to use my pole/pole pot to place rigs right underneath overhanging trees, as BR says better that than put tackle in a tree!

Anything which gives greater accuracy when fishing near snags has to be potentially better for fish and wildlife!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Jonathan, I've had exactly the same thoughts.
There is a lovely weed raft on a narrow section that I fish, it would be easy to send the whole lot right under it.
I've never got round to doing it, but I think I will, very soon.

D

DANNY BOY SMITH

if you can get your hands on a pole i stress this GIVE IT A GO!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Seen it advocated by Bill Rushmner in CAT and a favourite on Adams Mill apparently.Nothing practically wrong with it with the caveats raised by Bob. The alternative of course would be to tempt the fish out of the snag to a more accessible spot by feeding.I recall in an article, by Tony Miles I think, that he wasn't in favour of the snag fishing approach as he felt that if you did not allow barbel any sanctuary from angling pressure they would likely to clear out of the area completely.Food for thought perhaps?

Another ruse, though not tried myself, is to float a light rig down towards a raft on a floating slice of bread and then pull it off just at the right spot so it sinks under the raft.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
No chance Nigel...!

The chub would knock the rig off before it got to the spot and I assume it would have to be a near side raft?

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

I did say I've never tried it Steve!

I thinks its in Tony Miles's Chub book so I will have a look tonight.

On consideration there are one or two obvious practical difficulties like casting?

T

Tony Rocca

Did someone say Casting?, something fewer and fewer know how to do well, its an art but a dying one I think, such a shame.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Come on then Tony, give us a casting tutorial, seriously mate.

I watched Steff puting a bait dropper on the streamers and pulling it off gently, what tips have you got for us?

T

Tony Rocca

Steve,
Everyone can haul 4oz out into the big river but I ask how many on here know how to cast a low trajectory, to get under far side willows on a small river, using a loaded pendulum cast as promoted by Tref West.

Some folks dont need a pole to get into those impossible to cast to places, they develop casting skills.

And, I bet half on here dont even know what Im talking about, thats why I said its a dying art. Bit like wallis casting a pin, such a wonderful way to fish but how many can be bothered to learn.

T

Tony Rocca

And more, youv got me going now.

Picture this, A large nearside overhanging willow on the Trent prevents an overhead cast as the willow is hanging to within 2 yards of the water, all that most have at their disposal is a underhand lob that might get just beyond the tree if your lucky. Most would just walk by and fish a friendlier swim.

Some would fish it and cast 20 yards beyond the willow with little difficulty because they know how to and have practised.

Any one who has seen Tref do it will know what I am talking about but it is very difficult to put in words.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I can't argue with that Tony, but can you put a 1/4 oz on the spot at 30 foot everytime?

If I poked my 13mtrs out, with a cup, I could tuck it right in there (I'm talking about the rig on a fixed spool, not a pole rig!)

;-]