Barbel Society vs Angling Trust

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Because I didn't rise to the bait Sam.

Others took the opportunity to have dig, and in my view they shouldn't be allowed to spead misinformation.

---------

Yes you did Fred and you always do.

See the Title of the Thread ?

Barbel Society vs Angling Trust.

There is No comparsison between the two organisation, One is a Governing (or Representative) Body, the other is a Single Species Group ?

I'm the Chairman of a Specien Group and I can clearly see the difference between the two.

I was a member of the Barbel Society, I did not agree with many of their opinion and I still don't, so I left.

I have also been a member of a number of other Single Species Groups, where I made and have some very good friends.

Since the formation of the Angling Trust, it has change in many ways and I believe it is open to discussions with any group, big or small.

I have No Idea if the Barbel Society will talk to the Angling Trust, but I do know a number of it's members are individual members of the Angling Trust.

So who knows, maybe they will have some influence of the Barbel Society ?

Bob

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No I didn't Bob.
I purposely noted the title and I posted what I thought was a thread killer, with something that effectively said there was no comparisom.
Being a member of both, I know specificly where my funds go by being a member of the BS.
BUT
For the greater good of angling in general, a successful AT is paramount in my view.

So your choice.

To coin a phrase.
Ask not what your angling organisation can do for you - ask what you can do for your angling organisation !

But, you had to give misinformed dig which needed clarification.
BS should put aside the dispute with one of the previous organisations and join the Angling Trust.

So have you any answers to my questions?
Specificly about the law and multiple use of rods.
Or should we just ignore your posts on this thread as somewhat lacking in fact?

Last edited:

Simon K

Reaction score
No I didn't Bob.
I purposely noted the title and I posted what I thought was a thread killer, with something that effectively said there was no comparisom.
Being a member of both, I know specificly where my funds go by being a member of the BS.
BUT
For the greater good of angling in general, a successful AT is paramount in my view.

So your choice.

To coin a phrase.
Ask not what your angling organisation can do for you - ask what you can do for your angling organisation !

BS should put aside the dispute with one of the previous organisations and join the Angling Trust.

4 rods Nationally on all waters if 2 Rod Licences purchased. Regional and club allowance may differ to the same or less.

Happy?

Not that this has anything to do with the thread, nor your pet hates of bivvys, multiple rods etc on rivers or the BS vs ATr.
Why not stick to the point?

As John said, "Me thinks you are (th BS) picking holes for the sake of it Fred."

And they are. The BS doesn't want to be a part of it and will continue dragging its feet as long as poss.

Now answer my question. Have the BS put this to the membership (i.e. A Poll) or not? If not, why not?

Take your time, I'm off fishing (sorry, Camping :D) now til Sunday.

Reaction score
Back to the original question...

Corky,

Judean Peoples Front...Peoples Front of Judea?

I'm in the AT and the Barbel Catchers, so not sure which fold I fall in.

Either way I'd join the Angling Trust, or you will end up being the Popular Front... and that's a very lonely place to be... :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb_qHP7VaZE"]‪The People's Front‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

:) ;0

Last edited:

mark barrett 2

Reaction score
the trouble is Fred you look at everything with the barbel blinkers on.

Okay so on some rivers it may be overcrowded but theres other anglers fishing rivers than barbel anglers. Why should someone fishing a deserted fen drain or river not be able to put three or four rods out for pike, zander or carp just because Fred's got a bee in his bonnet about some area on one river that is over crowded?

barbelboi

Reaction score
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teMlv3ripSM"]‪Monty Python - Argument Clinic‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

A

alan whittington

Am i seeing not a little bit of side wrestling,for political clout within angling,no one has answered my queery on the idea of fighting our river problems with a slightly more aggressive demeanor,or is our 'voice' getting a bit quivery,its just like watching a countdown on some of our waters,just waiting for the deathnell,i wonder how many tackle shops will close down then,how many jobs within angling will be lost AND MOST OF ALL,HOW MANY MEMBERS WILL BE LOST TO THE B.S. AND THE TRUST.:eek:
Always look on the bright side of life,lala,lalalalalala.

Last edited:

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm not going to discuss this with you Simon, you already have made up your mind, and fill your posts with your perceptions of what the BS does, or doesn't do.
All I will say is, you're wrong on all points.
Like others you are harping back to different times.
I have to say, I have no idea how you were involved at that time, perhaps you weren't, but also make it up as you go along ?

We haven't had the answers to questions, if they are not answered we must assume that our presumptions are correct, so in the interests of the membership we stay out.
As to how the BS is run, none of your business I'm afraid.

You may well be right Alan, but not from me, I'm just making sure the presumptions of those who don't know, are corrected.

I now see we have another set of assumptions, this time from Mark Barrett, all of which are wrong too.
Barbel are not my only interest.
I don't accept on a personal level that you or anybody else should be able to use more than two rods.(on lakes as well)
So, "the bee in the bonnet" is nothing to do with any part of any river or of barbel in particular.
It's a view/opinion. Blind assumptions such as yours, will not alter that.
You can fish anyway you like Mark, but don't assume, you don't know me from Adam!

Mark has a unique ability to communicate effectively with anglers of all disciplines and....... You may need to brush up skills a bit!

In the meantime Corky make your own mind up, as I wrote in the second post on this thread, before it was rudely interupted.

Last edited:

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
No I didn't Bob.
BUT

So your choice.

To coin a phrase.

Fred,

Thankyou for allowing this thread to continue, you seem to like digging a Very Big Hole For Yourself

As you well know, there is a Four rod rule on some(if allowed by club or authority) waters, with the purchase of 2 EA Licences, only two rods on rivers if allowed by club or authority.

So is it you or the BS that does not agree with more than one rod ?

-

Misinformed dig ?

Were you a member of the BS when NASA/SAA were involved ?

-

I know where my funds go to, in the Specimen Group I belong too and because I'm involved through that group, I know where my money goes to the Angling Trust.

Angling Trust Organisation for Anglers

Bob

mark barrett 2

Reaction score
I'm not going to discuss this with you Simon, you already have made up your mind, and fill your posts with your perceptions of what the BS does, or doesn't do.
I have to say, I have no idea how you were involved at that time, perhaps you weren't, but also make it up as you go along ?

We haven't had the answers to questions, if they are not answered we must assume that our presumptions are correct, so in the interests of the membership we stay out.

You may well be right Alan, but not from me, I'm just making sure the presumptions of those who don't know, are corrected.

I now see we have another set of assumptions, this time from Mark Barrett, all of which are wrong too.
I don't accept on a personal level that you or anybody else should be able to use more than two rods.(on lakes as well)
So, "the bee in the bonnet" is nothing to do with any part of any river or of barbel in particular.
You can fish anyway you like Mark, but don't assume, you don't know me from Adam!

Mark has a unique ability to communicate effectively with anglers of all disciplines and....... You may need to brush up skills a bit!

In the meantime Corky make your own mind up, as I wrote in the second post on this thread, before it was rudely interupted.

So because Fred doesnt like it we are supposed to drop two rods. Thankfully thats not going to happen anytime soon.

I sometimes do despair of angling as it seems that many would like to see it stay stuck firmlyin the 1950's

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For fear of repeating myself, no hole Bob only putting right misleading information!

So in answer to your points.

1) As I've pointed out, it's my personal view/opinion,(which I am allowed I think) although I'm certain it will have agreement from many river anglers

2) You said, "We all know you can't use more than two rods on a river"

You have now qualified that, it isn't a National EA requirement is it? It's a local rule in some places. So your comment was only half of the story.

3) I don't know, if it was over 7 years ago, then no! So, whatever happened is old hat..as I've said, things change over time.

"BS should put aside the dispute with one of the previous organisations and join the Angling Trust."
I am not aware of any on going dispute!
Are you ?

Bearing old grudges Bob, won't progress angling unity!

Not certain about the point of your last sentence, but I know where my funds go too, I am a fully paid up individual member of Angling Trust as I was in it's original and better form.

Last edited:

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Now now Mr Barrett, I'm from the 50s !!

:)

Bob

---------- Post added at 02:30 ---------- Previous post was at 02:22 ----------

For fear of repeating myself, no hole Bob only putting right misleading information!

So in answer to your points.

1) As I've pointed out, it's my personal view/opinion,which I am allowed I think, although I'm certain it will have agreement from many river anglers

2) You said, "We all know you can't use more than two rods on a river"

You have now qualified that, it isn't a National EA requirement is it? It's a local rule in some places. So your comment was only half of the story.

3) I don't know, if it was over 7 years ago, then no!
So, whatever happened is old hat..as I've said, things change over time.

"BS should put aside the dispute with one of the previous organisations and join the Angling Trust."
I am not aware of any on going dispute! Are you ?

Bearing old grudges Bob, won't progress angling unity!

Not certain about the point of your last sentence, but I know where my funds go too, I am a fully paid up individual member of Angling Trust as I was in it's original and better form.

-----

Fred,

What chance has Angling Unity got with views like yours mate !!

A two rod Licence means exactly that- Two Rods Where allowed ( as I have already said).

Better Form, whats that all about ?

More Snide comments from yourself ?

And it's nothing to do with old Gruges, it happened, like it or not !!

I'm sure there are plenty of anglers like yourself within many angling organisations with the same blinkered opinions and to be honest if that is how they feel, let them stay outside of the Representative Body !!

Bob

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Mark, you must improve your editorial abilities.
I said in my personal opinion.
At no time have I said everybody should change their way of fishing, although I may well ask the ATr to work on it!:rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 10:35 ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 ----------

Bob, it happened.... maybe,but would it happen today? My view is that the ACA was better, it did what it said on the tin.

Last edited:

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Oh dear Bob, I've already said I'm not aware of any dispute after sitting on it for over 4 years!

---------- Post added at 10:43 ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 ----------

If you have a proposal let us have it,and we shall see.

Last edited:

Simon K

Reaction score

Now, where were we?

Oh, you're not talking to me? :eek:

But aren't you the Communications Officer for the B.S. Committee? You're not going to get very far by not discussing things, Fred?

WHOA......................"if they are not answered we must assume that our presumptions are correct"

Aren't you the one who's lecturing other people about making assumptions? :eek: :( :rolleyes:

Why are you so coy in releasing info on whether the BS has asked its members anything? It does sound so (sort of?), from reading between the lines above, but why shouldn't you be open about it? Would it compromise National Security? :confused:

If I were you (ho ho) I would be thinking about all the viewers on this thread who could potentially be BS members. Why wouldn't a potential member be interested in knowing how the Society he might be about to join, be run?

I'm sure I'm getting a sense of deja vu about all this, isn't your response to that question, "Join and then we tell you?"

And isn't my response to that, "What are hiding then?"

The BS is worse than the Masons. Or so it's coming across?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwQeSUbzRf4]‪Monty Python Architects Sketch HQ‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Any individual who has any questions about the Barbel Society,see our website, or blog site.

If the answer you seek is not obvious to you, email me or Pm me, and I will get a personal answer for you.

How we run the Society is however, for the membership to know.

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
In fairness Mr CC, very little of the posts have said much about the ATr! It seems to have morphed into a difference of opinion about the BS.