Bargains. Let us know.

valetudoguy

Reaction score
I had been looking for a 13/15ft rod with a bit of power for Chub and Barble on the river with a stick float though I didn't want to spend much as Im not sure how much of my fishing time this is going to take up.

Anyway after looking around a bit I have seen some JW Young rods on eBay with crazy low prices. So I have just pulled the trigger on an advertised New 13-15' Trotter blind for £11.50.

Hope it's not a too good to be true scam, but we will see in 3-5 days and I should be covered anyway.

I'm also interested in hearing thoughts on this rod and on centre pins to pair it with.

john step

Reaction score
Does seem to good to be true. I take it that it was the price and not a bid?

Edited.. I have just looked it up on ebay and could only see them advertised for £69.95.

Last edited:

valetudoguy

Reaction score
I have noticed that every now and then they go for bids rather than buy it now, they use the same stock photo as the buy it now ones. They start at stupidy low prices and often don't get bid on.

I my case I was the only bidder and won the auction for the opening bid of £11.50

theartist

Reaction score
I have noticed that every now and then they go for bids rather than buy it now, they use the same stock photo as the buy it now ones. They start at stupidy low prices and often don't get bid on.

I my case I was the only bidder and won the auction for the opening bid of £11.50

I hope it turns up ok and as described mate, back in the day sellers could put up listings on low start prices with no reserve knowing they would draw customers in to their ebay shop but now due to Ebay's Cassini logarythms this no longer works and you get very few extra views let alone customers. I hope it's not a JY Wongs Trotter and you have a genuine bargain from a good seller.

John Keane

Reaction score
I had been looking for a 13/15ft rod with a bit of power for Chub and Barble on the river with a stick float though I didn't want to spend much as Im not sure how much of my fishing time this is going to take up.

Anyway after looking around a bit I have seen some JW Young rods on eBay with crazy low prices. So I have just pulled the trigger on an advertised New 13-15' Trotter blind for £11.50.

Hope it's not a too good to be true scam, but we will see in 3-5 days and I should be covered anyway.

I'm also interested in hearing thoughts on this rod and on centre pins to pair it with.

I was umming and aahing about getting one of the JW Young Trotter rods, as their RRP is reasonable. However, I happened upon a MAP Dave Harrell 14ft trotting rod and bought it. I can’t testify as to its power (or lack of it) as all I’ve had up to now is grayling to around 1lb but it’s a beautiful, light, responsive rod and well worth what I paid for it.

valetudoguy

Reaction score
Well, I got home from work and a brand new JW Young 13/15' Trotter was waiting for me. There was no JW Young rod tube, but there was a perfectly useable black ABS plastic tube.

I think someone has taken one look at the rod not liked it and re-sold it as brand new with a complete copy posting.

Anyway, without using the rod, my initial thoughts are that I'm glad I didn't pay RRP, while the carbon seems decent enough and its quite pretty in some ways. It's got very badly designed rings that feature a really weird step down from the big rings to small rings which is just plain ugly and looks like it will cause a weird angle on the line.

On top of that the rod gets a little too front heavy at 15' for my liking. But over all I'm happy at the price though I do feel like re-ringing it.... it's not worth the effort.

Interestingly I think had they put a little more thought into the rod and made it with 2 more sections and useable at 11/13/15' it could have been a really really interesting travel rod for the majority of float and river work, in a package where I would have been more accepting to compromises.

flightliner

Reaction score
Just found this Aero Gt 6010 baitrunner languishing in a tackle shop second hand section, filthy didn't even describe its appearance but having two already and needing three I gave it a onceover and decided to buy it.
I gave £32 for it-- a bargain -- as they are hard to come by at such a good price.
Cleaned up it looks and feels brand new and I'm really pleased with the purchase -- it's the one in the middle btw.
forensic anthropology pay scale

Last edited:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I bought an Avid Carp hq1 Bivvy from a local selling site today. I looked at loads of different makes and types and this one seemed to be the stand out one for my needs being twin skin and easy to put up and pack away.

I paid £200 which seems a lot for a second hand Bivvy but it looked brand new and new they are about £450. I would far rather buy a quality used product than an inferior new one. The guy I bought it from put it up for me in his front garden which was handy. It also has a large hold-all type bag, which it easily fits in with room to spare.

All In all I’m well chuffed.

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I won an auction for a 3 pc Black Seal, what looks like a, barbel rod. What sold me was that I noticed it was for a worthwhile charity fairly close by so I thought I'd help by putting in a bid to boost their sale ... and I won it. The good news is that once again this year we're growing tomatoes and if there's one thing they like to climb up it's hexagonal cane so although a bit pricey at £16, the toms will love it!
64627071_449760142255192_8784770706731696128_n.png

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I won an auction for a 3 pc Black Seal, what looks like a, barbel rod. What sold me was that I noticed it was for a worthwhile charity fairly close by so I thought I'd help by putting in a bid to boost their sale ... and I won it. The good news is that once again this year we're growing tomatoes and if there's one thing they like to climb up it's hexagonal cane so although a bit pricey at £16, the toms will love it!
64627071_449760142255192_8784770706731696128_n.png
Dont you dare

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I think these look absolutely marvellous. £2.99 from the cash generator but I got them for £2 as I knew the bloke behind the counter. They have two little flourescent eys as well.

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Dont you dare
In fact, I spent today cleaning it up. The corks have come up like new and I slimmed the top end a bit so the reel would fit further up, the old fashioned method was to have the reel low down with your hand holding the rod at the top on the handle. Nah!

All the rings are lined with agate and the centers are superb, just the mounts that look a little corroded so I'm looking for advise on what to do with them. Paint them with Hammerite, varnish them, or what? The ferrules were a little loose, but that was because the cane has dried and shrunk a little. I soaked the ends in water and put water inside the females for and hour and they're tight as a drum now! I might use it to catch a barbel or smallish carp and that gaff I also bought will lift them, no problem!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
In fact, I spent today cleaning it up. The corks have come up like new and I slimmed the top end a bit so the reel would fit further up, the old fashioned method was to have the reel low down with your hand holding the rod at the top on the handle. Nah!

All the rings are lined with agate and the centers are superb, just the mounts that look a little corroded so I'm looking for advise on what to do with them. Paint them with Hammerite, varnish them, or what? The ferrules were a little loose, but that was because the cane has dried and shrunk a little. I soaked the ends in water and put water inside the females for and hour and they're tight as a drum now! I might use it to catch a barbel or smallish carp and that gaff I also bought will lift them, no problem!

Well that's a relief, enough to give me a heart attack.
I never knew that about the water trick for loose ferrules, I will have a look at my collection later to see if any are affected. As for the eyes, I dont know the best treatment, some wire wool maybe but I am not sure, someone on here may know. Good luck with the fishing with it.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I've done the steel brush and wire wool job, it just brings it down to the steel of the ring, the chrome may have gone some years ago. I'm not that bothered and have just given it a good coat of yacht varnish, which make it look good. The intermediate whippings (between the rings) were a little frayed and I did think of running it over a gas flame (old cotton printing method), but you have to be damned smart and very quick otherwise you scorch the main threads. Overall, it's starting to look quite good and I am really looking forward to sticking a cr@ppy old Mitchel 300 to it with 8lbs line and trying for a half decent carp, caught with a goose quill float of course. Can't think what the big carp boys will say when they see it. Probably try to get me thrown out of the club, FAT CHANCE! :wh

John Keane

Reaction score
Just flogged the £9.99 Intrepid Gearfly reel I got from Cash Generator for £25 on eBay. Luvvly Jubbly!

valetudoguy

Reaction score
A pawn shop find, just bought a Maver Elite Match 13' that looks like it can't have been used more than a couple times if at all, for the princely sum of £5.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Just to reiterate wetthrough's earlier post, Bobco have the 13' Greys Toreon Tactical float rod at £50. They were decent enough rods at the normal selling price, they are a steal at this price. I have absolutely no need for another 13' float rod of any kind, but after a good play with one recently, I was tempted. Anyone in the market for a mid price, stepped up float rod would do well to give it a good coat of looking at.