Bargains. Let us know.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I wanted a tubed rod hold-all and found a Daiwa Air second hand on a local selling site. When I picked it up I saw the guy had a matching hold-all which he was also selling I paid him £40 for the pair, they were like brand new. The RRP was £210, so I had a good deal. The bloody tubes for the hold-all cost me more.

Incidentally Angling Direct do the MAP Tubes for £6.50 which are far more substantial than those black ones with the red caps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I have just bought a job lot of tackle unseen, all legit not stolen, in it were two 16metre poles, one was a gabolino gmax 800 with around 7 topkits and extending cupping kitand a couple of spare number four sections, , The other is a Middy ZX65-2,again with top kits, cupping kit and dolly butts,and holdall, pole is like new, A preston innovations inception 4000 reel, with spare spool, a new tourny pro extension, dolly butt and number seven section, 11 daiwa interlastic topkits,including the new grey ones with a couple of short fours and long four, two shimano white stradic reels and finally a maver genesis black ice twelve foot match rod, total price £300, the rod and the stradics have been sold, sensible offers accepted for the rest of the tackle if anyone interested.

Last edited:

John Keane

Reaction score
I’ve just bought a Prologic Spider Rod Pod at the knock down price of £35.99 (RRP is around twice that) so it’s Sod’s Law that I’ve just seen, within driving distance on Gumtree, a Fox X-Pod for £35 which is a better pod.

BU99ER!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Have to thank my better half for this little find, 25p each from Home Bargains, very handy for storing small floats when roving the river etc.

image link hosting

tomvilla

Reaction score
any top kits with the middy pole ? and what price are you looking for

John Keane

Reaction score
Not fishing related but a bargain, nevertheless.

I’m a bit of a birder and just got back from the Algarve where wife and I did a bit of local birding and took a birdwatching boat trip on the Ria Formosa estuary. I took my good bins and a travel pair of Nikon, which are okay but a bit on the small side.

So today I went to big department store John Lewis for a peep through a pair of larger Nikon 7S Prostaff 10x30 as my regular optical supplier, In Focus, doesn’t stock them.

Arrived at JL to find no binoculars on display at all! Seems the demand has not been great and they’re stopping selling them. Asked the assistant and he said that all they had left was a few pairs at reduced prices due to having no accessories (case, strap, lens caps), in a display cabinet. I spotted the Prostaffs (so I thought) reduced to £129 and told the guy so. He looked and said, no mate, they’re the Monarchs. Sudden rush of excitement as he got them out of the cabinet and I confirmed that they were the Monarch 7 10x30.

Close inspection of the glass revealed no defects or damage and a good look through them, inside and outside the shop, confirmed that I was going to buy them, particularly after a Google Search revealed a price of £379 on Nikon’s UK site and more realistic online prices of £299 at Wex Photo & London Cameras and £269 on both Amazon and Park Cameras (and John Lewis!)

So I am now the proud owner of the aforementioned bins and really rather pleased with them.

steve2

Reaction score
I always carry a cheap pair of 10x25 when fishing they fit in the pocket they only cost around £10. Ideal for fish and bird spotting on the bank
My bird watching ones are rather more expensive and reserved for bird watching.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Having a M and S Food Hall just a five minute walk away has its benefits. Walked in just as the second round of discounts were being labelled up, got nigh on £25 of fish for £3 something.

I will mainly be eating fish for the foreseeable.:)

john step

Reaction score
The proper price but the service was very good as usual................

I ordered Two spare spools for a Shimano and it took just two days to reach me.

Potters Bar Darts band Trophies (Barnet Angling)

no-one in particular

Reaction score
On the bird watching theme, I walked through the park the other day and a bloke had a stall set up for the RSPB, I had a chat with him and he wanted me to join. I asked how much expecting to be £30 or £40 or something like that and he said £4. I like a bit of bird watching when I am fishing so it was a no brainer really. I just got my welcome pack, free entry to all their reserves, free parking where applicable, a quarterly mag, stickers, a book where all their reserves are and more, full of interesting things, not just birds and discounts but no fishing:).. Still, I think that’s a bargain at £4.

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Bargain? I think I’ve just had the sale of the century.

A few days ago I ordered a NGT Dynamic trolley off Ebay for £75, I chose the click and collect service and opted for my local Sainsbury’s.

As some will know, you receive a FM code when the item arrives at store, so when my code arrived by email I made my way to Sainsbury to collect my trolley. I waited for an age and was greeted by a lady that said the package wasn’t in the store room and hadn’t arrived. I argued that the only way I could receive the code was for the item to be scanned apon arrival, she wasn’t having any of it.

I went away disgruntled, no furious, went home and proceeded to speak with the seller, the courier service and eBay, all agreed that Sainsbury’s must have received it, another phone call and still Sainsbury wouldn’t budge on .their stance.

Another call to EBay and to their credit they decided to close the case and refund my money.

Roll on 24 hours, just packing up from my session fishing on the river when Sainsbury called me, “we have found your parcel”, they gave me a cock and bull story trying to explain away its magical appearance which I wasn’t buying for a moment. Picked up the item telling them of my anger at their ineptitude and how it had caused me time and effort phoning and emailing various people trying to locate my trolley. They gave me a £20 gift card as a gesture of goodwill, my face obviously showed that wasn’t enough and I’m awaiting a call from the store manager to see if anything else will be offered.

Came home with trolley and contacted Ebay to say that I needed to return the £75 they had given me, “please keep the money as a gift from Ebay” !

Not a bad day with a trolley for nought and £20 maybe more from the useless Sainsburys.

Last edited: