Bias against match anglers

The Scarlet Maggot

Reaction score
"Maybe a new thread should be started, something along the lines of Gut bucket Carp and how the Carp angler has emptied the sea? "

Hang on! Maybe we should knock a different species and those who fish for them for a change.

Carp anglers, commercials and match anglers have been done to death. Let's knock something and someone else just for the variety.:rolleyes:

Maybe we could praise something. Now that would be a change.:)

:D

If I were to praise anything in angling it would have to be lure angling, they don’t **** about with stuff, so I praise the lure angler, I especially love the French lure angling scene, mobile, light gear, catch anything from predators to carp & barbel, feels very organic and honest somehow.

Organic angling? **** me I’m an organic angler!

Last edited:

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Should I bring up the type of match scene that we have here on FM, you know, the sort that non match anglers love to attend all done in the belief that its just a get together, a day of fun and enjoyment, not really serious match fishing? There again perhaps it is too much like the average match angler that fishes matches with his mates in a pub or club match, all done for the craic and a drink in the pub after the match, nothing really serious just a day out for the sheer enjoyment of it.

There again perhaps I shouldn't because non match anglers wouldn't understand that scenario now would they?

slime monster

Reaction score
So lets praise the FM matches and fish ins ,what could be more glorious after a quality blank in the company of other blankers than a few pints and a good laugh with mates old and new , you can't buy that it is priceless.

redalert06

Reaction score
Tis true Graham, but why did the match anglers leave the rivers? You gotta be honest mate, it was for almost guaranteed catches and big ones too!

Okay some river matches still happen, but in general they are held on commercials where blanks are very rare. Dunno what the river match scene is like where you are, but here it is all but gone....I can remember when (god I feel old now!) the rivers were a 'no go' area to pleasure anglers on a weekend. The BA used to hold Nationals from Bath to Bristol, 300 pegs plus!

Like I said, I have nothing against match angling, it happened to me too. There are certain aspects of match angling that I don't like though, but I have nothing against match anglers, it's a good crack, but some take it too far.....

I don't think anglers flock to commercials just because of the guaranteed haul - it is a combination of factors

free car parking
plentiful car parking
secure car parking
SHORT PEG WALKS
easy peg walks even if a bit long
easy to fish with platforms rather than dodgy natural banks
lack of general public
lack of canoists/rowers/boats

Bluenose

Reaction score
free car parking
plentiful car parking
secure car parking
SHORT PEG WALKS
easy peg walks even if a bit long
easy to fish with platforms rather than dodgy natural banks
lack of general public
lack of canoists/rowers/boats

Thats a fair point, add to that toilet and catering facilities also. In all fairness not all of them are just muddy holes in the ground nor are they full of parrot mouthed pasties. I suppose that a few bad examples get the rest painted with the same brush, a bit like some anglers really.

Last edited:

Bluenose

Reaction score
Maybe so mate, but for couple of mates who want to share a breakfast beforehand or a mug of fresh tea and a sandwich at midday, the company and food is all part of the enjoyment.

The Scarlet Maggot

Reaction score
A disabled person platform and the smell of a greasy spoon wafting over the water! Angling Nirvana! :D

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
There is a place for all anglers, There is a time for all anglers, and there is a place and time for all anglers to get on.

That place and time is ALWAYS.

I don't like Commercials, but I fish them on FM fish in's.

What do I get from this ?

Simple, chance to meet new and old members, catch a few fish, have a pint, some food and have a laugh, what more could any angler want from a days fishing.

I then can go back to my kind of angling, trotting a river, hunting for the chub, barbel, catch a few carp off the surface, and have the bankside to myself.

RM, I agree with you on some point's, just come along to a fish in, you will see the grass is greener on the other side.

Bluenose

Reaction score
A disabled person platform and the smell of a greasy spoon wafting over the water! Angling Nirvana! :D

The smell from a cafe may not be everyone's cup of tea granted but is that also sarcasm aimed at disabled platforms RM?

Last edited:

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
Recently I got criticized for laying a tench on soaking wet leaf mulch by other anglers; they couldn’t tell me why it was wrong, just that I “should” use an unhooking mat. It’s that kind of thing that gets me, total *******s!
006.jpg
You seriously can't see anything wrong with that shot? I can't beleive that. You're an intelligent angler from what I've seen of your input so far, to attempt ignorance here defines your intention to court controversy.

You should have used an unhooking mat as others advised wherever you posted it before, or created a soft protective bed with the wet weigh sling and landing net mesh at least.

The Scarlet Maggot

Reaction score
The smell from a cafe may not be everyone's cup of tea granted but is that also sarcasm aimed at disabled platforms RM?

What is this PC gone made, your rather trigger happy for a moderator! No, not all, its not sarcasm directed at the disabled, it’s directed at commercial fisheries. delet if you will, was only an attempt a humor.

---------- Post added at 12:58 ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 ----------

You seriously can't see anything wrong with that shot? I can't beleive that. You're an intelligent angler from what I've seen of your input so far, to attempt ignorance here defines your intention to court controversy.

You should have used an unhooking mat as others advised wherever you posted it before, or created a soft protective bed with the wet weigh sling and landing net mesh at least.

So soft wet leaf mulch isn’t as protective as a landing net? How do you mean?

---------- Post added at 13:05 ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 ----------

One dry leaf to the top right of the photo, the rest is sodden from the wake of passing boat traffic, it was soft and wet, where’s the problem?

Would a keepnet with ten other tench be ok? Better than wet leaf mulch?

Bluenose

Reaction score
What is this PC gone made, your rather trigger happy for a moderator! No, not all, its not sarcasm directed at the disabled, it’s directed at commercial fisheries. delet if you will, was only an attempt a humor.

I haven't actually moderated anything.

However you did make a sarcastic statement which mentioned disabled platforms, not commercials.

The Scarlet Maggot

Reaction score
I haven't actually moderated anything.

However you did make a sarcastic statement which mentioned disabled platforms, not commercials.

Ok, sorry its just they resemble disabled angling swims to me, platform thingys

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
So soft wet leaf mulch isn’t as protective as a landing net? How do you mean?
Landing net mesh doesn't include twigs, stones or bits of glass and other sharp debris. If wet it also prevents excessive removal of the fishes protective later of mucus.... all of which I'm sure you're already well aware of, for someone opposed to certain angling practices and modern techniques/venues etc fish care doesn't seem high on your agenda either.

The Scarlet Maggot

Reaction score
Landing net mesh doesn't include twigs, stones or bits of glass and other sharp debris. If wet it also prevents excessive removal of the fishes protective later of mucus.... all of which I'm sure you're already well aware of, for someone opposed to certain angling practices and modern techniques/venues etc fish care doesn't seem high on your agenda either.

One dry leaf to the top right of the photo, the rest is sodden from the wake of passing boat traffic, it was soft and wet, where’s the problem?

Would a keepnet with ten other tench be ok? Better than wet leaf mulch?