Broadcasting the Impossible

Reaction score
Bah humbug Baz! /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

The reason for the BBC is simple. It is a terrestrial channel and everyone who has a telly can watch. Also there will be no adverts to spoil the continuity.

The fact that the BBC has on occasion been 'provacative' towards fishing is a sign of a healthy democracy where debate can be enjoyed. We have nothing to hide; we have only the deepest respect for fish and for the conservation of their environment, and this is the message that Catching The Impossible sends out.

It's all very well singing 'We Shall Not Be Moved', butyou then take no part in anydiscussion and end up mis-represented.

So...

Who's for seeing Catching The Impossible on the BBC?

This is a quality piece that deserves the widest audience. /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Time for a new thread I think..............

"Baz Flemming" - Budging the impossible!!

/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

Only one m cock.

I take it then that you think B.Rickards is talking rubbish?

****y.

Sorry mate but your defence of showing Catching The Impossible stands for nothing with the BBC. They see it as a Blood Sport.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Baz (Angel of the North) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Only one m cock.

****y.

Sorry mate but your defence of showing Catching The Impossible stands for nothing with the BBC. They see it as a Blood Sport.</blockquote>
Now you're putting words in my mouth......

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

I gave you the option to back up your beliefs. The offer still stands. If you feel so strongly about it, you should make the phone call.

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Baz (Angel of the North) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Only one m cock.

****y.

Sorry mate but your defence of showing Catching The Impossible stands for nothing with the BBC. They see it as a Blood Sport.</blockquote>

Hi mate /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

I certainly don't think Barrie would ever talk rubbish; I haveonly the highest personal regard forhim. In fact we had a lovely chat about his new book at thePAC convention in September.

His reservations about the BBC make a lot of sense BUT the BBC is 'almost' obliged to react to public pressure as Barrie himself pointed out. They cannot argue with ratings and polls.

Barrie concluded...

"perhaps anglers have to get real and use the power of new technology in focussed protests."

Seems to me that's what we are doing...

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
I've already stated, alone I stand no chance against the BBC. Backed by a large petition the odds may be reduced some what......

You'll notdraw me into battle that easy Mr Flemming! /forum/smilies/hot_smiley.gif

Reaction score
Baz,

As to the 'BBC' per se, considering angling to be a 'blood sport'...

There may be some commisioning editors who do hold that view (and they are entitled to their misguided notions, until they are educated), but Auntie, herself,has no secret policy dossier against us!

The truth is that the anti's are more vocal and better organised on the press front, and what better way to answer some of the concerns their misguided sh*t throws up than seeing this masterpiece screened on the BBC!

Catching the Impossible is a brilliant ambassador for our sport.

If that rant doesn't win you over, I'm giving up mate! Happy Christmas, hope you can make it down the Severn for the next fish-in. /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif
Scary_Baz_Hybrid.jpg

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

Agree with everything you say ****y. That's what I've been saying all along. I was just wondering how many backing numbers it would take Mark to make te phonecall and get down from the fence. It is his right to think differently though.

Reaction score
Ok if I may say if we are serious . we are going to need more then a post on fm to make the BBc sit up and lisen ? I sent Anglers mail an email on the very same subject and to my surprise they published it ( I think they might off editid my spelling ? ) Like ****y says the anti are organised then we are ( hope that is ok ****y ?)
Well done Dougal on getting the ball rolling . Lets get the link on as many fishing website as possable . I know some off might not use them but but we are all after the same thing ?
Also maybe we might be able to pull a few strings here and get some people in the no to publish a link in the weeklys and momthly our own Mark and Graham and Gary newman might and anybody else who comes on hear who could publish a address to the site .
Next the radios not sure how my friend Martin James would be able to stand hear as he works for the BBC but
Kieth artcher on talksport should be able to say something
Then we could get the tackle shops/manafactors to to either post something on there websites or on a piece off paper over the counter to get people to sign
I belive it will take millions to make the BBC to take notice and evan think about it ?
Maybe its just a pipe dream but if all us anglers stick togather maybe we might just be able to acheve something ??????

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

Have the antis infiltrated the BBC? Of course they have. More than likely they have been there all along. How many angling programmes do you know of that have been axed by aunty?

Only one thing wrong with Brendans and ****ys last post: Too much name dropping and too much philosophising. And neither of them have a Phd yet.

Reaction score
To date, no one has put forward a convincing argument in favour of the BBC broadcasting "Catching the Impossible", most of you agree the BBC are anti angling, most of you agree that when angling is "allowed" on their channels it is depicted badly, very often in a negative light, so why pick a fight with them? I say,let them get on with it, it is their loss, I will be buying the Cd's and will be able to view the series anytime I want, I do not need the BBC to "Sanction" this, Iappreciate the good that could come from a large TV broadcaster commissioning the series, and I think talks are in the pipeline...........but the BBC? no thank you very much, they do not deserve it, it's almost akin to asking PETA to promote angling ha ha.

DZ

Reaction score
I dont want to get wrapped in a 'what the Beeb stands for' argument. Generally I'd say they sit on the fence and when ever the 'Should people hook fish' row comes up they get an angler and an anti to give their 'evidence'. Which sucks!

We are too busy hiding away being the nature loving quiet guys we generally are. The likes of PETA etc are a collection of utter loons with huge bugs to bear.

Bob - My single reason for airing 'Catching the Impossible' is thus:

I remember when I was about 9 years old- this programme came on BBC2 about fishing. It was called 'A Passion for Angling' and it completely rocked my world! Life was never the same again. There were no other anglers in my family to introduce me to fishing so really this series was the single biggest 'fuel to my fire'. I now have SO, SO much to thank angling for.

So; I figure if this series was aired then a few nippers/non-anglers out there would tune in and have their lives changed forever, like me, then it would all be worthwhile. That's why I'd like to see Catching the Impossible on the BBC.

And lets face it, this is one of very few Fishing Docs ever filmed that doesn't make you openly cringe

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

Well said Bob.

Those are my sentiments entirely. We do not need the BBC. They will need us before we need them.

DZ

Reaction score
Baz- do you pay a license fee?

Personally I think the BBC is the greatest broadcasting media on the planet. We (anglers)just need to (try and) keep the balance.

Anglers, in general, are absolutely appauling at their own PR

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

Doug.

Try as much as you like. The BBC will not tollerate you. Why have certain angling shows been axed by them? Try doing some research, Why have they NEVER recognised Bob Nudd THREE TIMES WORLD CHAMPION in the sportsman of the year award.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Never even gets a mention yet they go mad on sports like curling and I use the term sport loosely and how inclusive is curling?
No I don't know any curlers either .

Reaction score
As I stated earlier Dougal, when Martin Bowler was on Keith's show Tight lines the other week, hesaid that negotiations were being conducted to get it shown, so something is in the pipeline, butI do not think it is with Auntie Beeb!and I say three cheers for that!

Thank you Baz, just small bit of info on Bob Nudd, he has won the individual World title 4 times,oneof his victorious years,Angling Times went on a crusade to get him crowned,he actually received more votes than any other sportsman, and would have won it !, unfortunately , the Beeb refused to recognisethis fact and felt it entirely inappropriate for him to win.....yet more evidence they do not/ will not promote angling.

PS, Alan Scotthorne has won the individual World title 5 times! his latestwin was only last year, Will Raison is the current World Champion andDrennan Team England are the current World TeamChampions......I watched the program and saw no mention of this, do we have so many World Champions in sportthat we can ignore some of them? I think not.