carp vision

• Thread starter christian tyroll
  • Start date
C

christian tyroll

i understand what you mean about the infra-red Frothey so could it the ultra vilot vison which enables them to see finger prints! (i dont even know what it is so excuse me if it is a stupid suggestion)

C

christian tyroll

self confidence boosters like many groundbait additives?

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I think the main implication of this is that they can see your bait in lower light conditions and not just smell its location. If they could see fingerprints etc then no problem just handle all the freebies as well and they will all look the same.

F

Frothey

and how the frick would they know what a fingerprint is anyway!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

This business of fluorocarbon having the same refractive index as water is a load of tosh.

It has a refractive index much closer to water than nylon, hence it is "less visible", not invisible!

Generally speaking predatory fish have the best eyesight, they have to, to catch their prey.

Of the fish species in British freshwater, those with the best eyesight are:

Trout, Pike, Perch and Zander.

Chub also have very good eyesight. They can see you coming a mile away.

The fish with the poorest eyesight are catfish, tench, eels and bream.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

By the way, years ago I caught a carp of 20 pounds that had no eyes whatsoever! It certainly was not a sick fish and fought faily well.

captain carrott

Reaction score
looks like fluorocarbon Nf is 1.32.
it's 1.33 for water
and 1.56 for nylon so it will only be slightly distinguishable from water certainly much less so than nylon.
fluorocarbon would probably appear as a slight distortion rather than line.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Still to do with carp vision.
Jason will tell you we were watching a group of carp close in the margin and they couldn't see us.
Another group came along about 12' from the bank, and these clearly spotted us as they turned and swam off. We put this down to the refraction in the water, from the carps point of view. That right Jase?

C

Cakey

Ive told you before carp spook on what they cant see not on what they can see
so thick black line would be better than flurocarbon................yeah ?

captain carrott

Reaction score
you'll be telling me they'll run away from a pane of glass next and that's patently untrue because the ones in the fish tank down the road ar always swiming into the wall.
that's basically what fluorocarbon would look like to them very clear glass i think.

C

Cakey

still disagree....................when we fish we change their living quarters daily.....ie one day we fish at 40 yards with blah blah and the next it could be 60 yards with different blah blahs

in a tank that bit of glass is there 24/7 and dont get moved so they wont spook but I bet they did the first couple of days they went in

F

Frothey

too right cakey...and when fishing a 3" flouro hooklength, what about the rest of the rig?

C

Cakey

Ive told them a million times before when a carp gets within 5" of your bait it then becomes blind.....................have a look where a carps eyes are !