carp vision

• Thread starter christian tyroll
  • Start date
G

Grant Lever

just been out with gen.1 infrared riflescope,tried various line in bowl of water.snakeskin,std. nylon (daiwa 10 lb.),flourocarbon 10 lb.,amnesia 20 lb(black),even some old maxima fiberglow,which is supposed to glow in the dark,none were visible under natural starlight or 30 m.w. illumination,although it is difficult to focus at close range i feel if any were reflecting any light back they would have glowed.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

I think Cakey has a damn good point there.

G

Grant Lever

ULTRAVIOLET.i remember jim sharp once showed us some trout flies through a box with ultraviolet light,which it was claimed is how trout see them,the difference in colours was quite startling.incidently that was near on 40 years ago ,so nothing new.in angling i always say "what works,works".

C

Cakey

the problem is if we adopt the "what works,works"theory there would be no forum............

D

David Marrs

Can anyone please recommend a decent hooklength material in about 10lb - 12lbs breaking strength - suitable for floater fishing?

Kind regards,
Dave

captain carrott

Reaction score
the problem is if we adopt the "what works,works"theory there would be no forum............

yes there would it would be a place to let people know what works and try to work out why.
then we could find things that work better.

or pretty much like what it is now.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Dave.
If you are floater fishing for carp, wont your usual line do the job, if sprayed with a floatant?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Baz, if you are floater fishing for carp, or any other fish for that matter, the last thing you want is for the line to float.

Best floater fishing hook length is fluorocarbon.

C

Cakey

dont understand Ron the last place I want me line is under the bait thats the first place the carp will spook from

B

Big Rik

I disagree with you there Ron in certain circumstances, I don't like flouro as it sinks and pulls the bait towards the controller in open water.

Matty green Drennan fly leader.
WB Clarke hooklength
and some new stuff I'm trying from .... shhhhhh.......

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

OK chaps a contentious point.

I speak of course probably more as a fly fisherman where a floating leader spooks trout. And I recon it will spook other fish too.

But with carp, and I have done the odd bit of floater fishing using a very short bit of flouro tied to mono using a 3 turn water knot.

For controller floats, a piece of twig from a wood that is fairly heavy has worked for me in the past.

C

Clive Evans 1

A sinking line (or leader) pulls on the bait and interferes with presentation, take, and strike.
If you do as much floater-fishing as I do, you'll rapidly discover that a floating braid, direct to the the hook, is easily the best presentation of the bait.
Fireline has always been my line of choice.