cracking bag of barbel!

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Colin, the irony of you arguing against Fred has not escaped me. Keep it up mate, I'm lmbo. ;-)

Simon K

Reaction score
Now common cg, keep up, we've already established that thrive only implies success ;):D:eek:mg:

Yes Paul, I think you're correct.

I gave up after 20 or so dictionary sites, but since not one turned up any reference to breeding, multiplying or other synonym AND you'll notice the word origin is "to grasp" or "seize", not "procreate", I think the case for any further semantic input is well and truly shut.

Here's a few of them:

Merriam-webster

Definition of THRIVE
intransitive verb
: to grow vigorously : FLOURISH
: to gain in wealth or possessions : PROSPER
: to progress toward or realize a goal despite or because of circumstances —often used with on <thrives on conflict>

the free dictionary

thrive [θraɪv]
vb thrives, thriving ; thrived, throve ; thrived, thriven [ˈθrɪvən] (intr)
1. to grow strongly and vigorously
2. to do well; prosper
[from Old Norse thrīfask to grasp for oneself, reflexive of thrīfa to grasp, of obscure origin]
thriver n
thriving adj
thrivingly adv

dictionary reference.com

thrive
   [thrahyv] Show IPA
verb (used without object), thrived or throve, thrived orthriv•en  [thriv-uh n] Show IPA, thriv•ing.
to prosper; be fortunate or successful.
to grow or develop vigorously; flourish: The children thrived inthe country.
Origin:
1150–1200; Middle English thriven < Old Norse thrīfast to thrive,reflexive of thrīfa to grasp

Answers.com

(thrīv)
intr.v., thrived, or throve (thrōv), thrived, or thriv•en (thrĭv'ən), thriv•ing, thrives.
1. To make steady progress; prosper.
2. To grow vigorously; flourish: "the wild deer that throve here" (Tom Clancy).
[Middle English thriven, from Old Norse thrīfask, reflexive of thrīfa, to seize.]

English-test.net

Definition of thrive (verb)
forms: throve; thriven; thriving
to prosper; to flourish; to succeed

Yourdictionary.com

thrive
Listen See in Thesaurus
To thrive means to grow strong and healthy. (verb)
An example of to thrive is the growth of a successful vegetable garden.
To thrive means to be successful in managing business or money.(verb)
An example of to thrive is investing in a stock that makes lots of money.

Quick definitions from WordNet (thrive)

▸ verb: gain in wealth
▸ verb: grow stronger

brainyquote

Definition of Thrive
Thrive
To prosper by industry, economy, and good management of property; to increase in goods and estate; as, a farmer thrives by good husbandry.

To prosper in any business; to have increase or success.

To increase in bulk or stature; to grow vigorously or luxuriantly, as a plant; to flourish; as, young cattle thrive in rich pastures; trees thrive in a good soil.
Lcdoceonline

thrive past tense thrived or throve past participle thrived [intransitive]formal
to become very successful or very strong and healthy:
plants that thrive in tropical rainforests
a business which managed to thrive during a recession

dictionary reverso

thrive

vb , thrives, thriving, thrived, throve, thrived, thriven intr
1 to grow strongly and vigorously
2 to do well; prosper

vocabulary vocabulary

thrive
verb
Definition: 1. to grow strong; 2. to do well and achieve success
Synonyms: flourish, grow, burgeon, blossom, prosper, succeed
Antonyms: wane, diminish
Tips: To thrive is to flourish and grow successfully. Most plants thrive in tropical settings with abundant sunlight and rain. A business can thrive during a strong economy. A person can thrive in a high-energy work environment. For a memory trick, note how thrive sounds like "alive" and how you have to be "alive" and full of life to thrive.
Usage Examples:
I don't think I can thrive at a huge university, so I've chosen to go to a small school instead. (succeed, blossom)
Those flowers are thriving in your sun-drenched yard. (flourishing, burgeoning)
Some people thrive on stress, but I hate it. (flourish, succeed)
He owns a thriving business that's becoming more successful every year. (growing, prospering) adjective

Ray Wood 1

Reaction score
You really should refrain from the personal stuff calling people worms and referring to them as "the likes of you" or other derogatory remarks does you no favours and shows your inability to debate.

Fred, you have not put forward any argument to support your views all you have done is disagree with others. Many of the contributors to this thread have asked time and time again for you to provide stuff to support your argument. 26 pages later they are still waiting.

The argument against stocking barbel into still waters was lost many moons ago, the EA seem satisfied that they are doing OK and thriving in the waters they approve.

The BS have had 16 years to come up with scientific evidence to prove they cannot reproduce in still water the foundation on which its argument is based. All it can come up with is it isn't right is it.

If that evidence exists and the BS have it perhaps you may with permission from the BS committee like to post it Fred.

Quote,
" I know what I'm up against and it isn't that!
It's usually individual people who have an argument and are unable to accept others arguments".

I really like that one, I must remember it and use it when I have no answers to give. That is if you don't mind me using your disclaimer Fred:)

Mr Wood

Steve Pope

Reaction score
I've just taken a call from Fred, he isn't available tonight and I will be closing the bids on our auction.

It may be a good idea to leave this alone now, certainly in respect of comments relating to Fred, most of you know he has had other more pressing things to deal with.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Can I fill your glass, Paul?

Thank you..a large glass of Madiran, preferably from Chateau Barrejat, if you have any Simon. Otherwise any very large red after reading that lot.

Why don't Jungians ever slip?

---------- Post added at 17:20 ---------- Previous post was at 17:17 ----------

It may be a good idea to leave this alone now, certainly in respect of comments relating to Fred, most of you know he has had other more pressing things to deal with. Thanks.

I now know to what you are referring Steve...and I would ask all contributors to respect what you have asked.

(However hard that may be for some)

Reaction score
****y I searched the fishery website and found only one mention, a photo, of a barbel in 2007.
Are they still in there?

I don't know is the short answer Fred; commercials aren't really my bag.

I just remember reading about it in the press at the time, hence the link to the article in my previous post.

Unless the baby barbel were introduced to Heronbrook without the owner's knowledge which seems unlikely... then it is difficult to conclude anything else other than that they have successfully spawned in a stillwater.

Simon K

Reaction score
The argument against stocking barbel into still waters was lost many moons ago, the EA seem satisfied that they are doing OK and thriving in the waters they approve.

The BS have had 16 years to come up with scientific evidence to prove they cannot reproduce in still water the foundation on which its argument is based. All it can come up with is it isn't right is it.

Mr Wood

Ray (I mean MR Wood :)),

The problem with this view is that it is exactly what the anti-stillwater believers want to focus on. It is, in essence, the wrong argument.

It shifts on one step each time. As I understand it, originally there was an accusation that barbel were being poached from a specific river stretch into a specific lake. Both "accuser" and "accused" had a business stake in this episode. This was never proven and some society members left when they were asked to voice protest against what was hearsay.

This was mutated into barbel cannot survive outside of running water.

When disproved, it now mutates into the ability to survive and reproduce.

When some evidence surfaces of this actually happening it will no doubt move one more step into whether second generation barbel are being produced......and so on.

The argument will never end, because the "antis" don't want it to. The EA stance that scientific values be applied to their stocking is really anathema to the "antis" since their whole doctrine is based on ethics.
Their ethics, specifically.

Why else would terminology be picked over ("nit-picked" to quote an anonymous poster) in such fine detail looking for a way out?

I see no difference between the people espousing this view with those "Animal Liberationists" who want to free any animal in what they term an "artificial" or "unnatural" environment.

The same mindset that releases mink, which steals exotic pets from shops and "release" them onto the local heath (usually to die), or in one case I know of to smash all the aquaria in a shop and kill all the fish saying "they're better off dead than in captivity".

I'm not saying anyone holding an "anti-stillwater barbel" attitude has released any back to the river yet, but it may only be a very short step away?

A big part of the problem is that most people with "anti" attitudes of any kind, have little or no understanding of their subject matter.

Consider this quote, "If "animals" don't breed, they don't survive and therefore q.e.d don't thrive!"

Animals can and do, survive extremely well without breeding, live to a ripe old age and can be rightly said to thrive in doing so.
I once had a boa constrictor which I was given by an elderly lady. It's age, at time of demise, was 37 years, under which terms I would say it had "thrived".
It never bred.

The quotes author doesn't seem to understand the difference between an "animal" and a "species".
A few Barbel living in lakes are not going to lead to the demise of the "species".

And this, really, is the crux of the matter.

No reason we can't talk amongst ourselves, Paul? The forum doesn't revolve around one poster.

Last edited:
Reaction score
No problems Simon.....you're quite right about the forum not revolving around certain individuals...gosh would anyone get that thought?:wh

It's a request in respect of one individual, I have no intention of expanding further, and I am sure forum members wouldn't expect me to - Mr. Pope is particularly addressing part of the audience who understand the context but I would ask if all would oblige by doing the same.

That doesn't mean stop debating the issues

Now where's that Chateau Barrejat?:D

Last edited:

Simon K

Reaction score
I know what Fred's "problem" likely is Paul and I respect Steve's request. I went through the same thing fairly recently.

Bit down-market here I'm afraid now my favourite Pinot Noir needs re-stocking, would a Blossom Hill Merlot pass the time adeqautely? Or I have a '86 haute-medoc that's been laid down?

Ray Wood 1

Reaction score
Simon,
You can call me Ray:) a cracking post and I have to agree with it. The BS will never come up with anything scientific to support their argument 16 years have proved that.

Perhaps Steve Pope would like to take up where Fred left off and provide any scientific evidence the BS might have now he has informed us that Fred is not around? He may even comment on Fred Crouch's theory about

Quote ‘Any river, fished or unfished, will only hold the number of fish which it can support with oxygen and food. If one species begins to increase by virtue of its physical advantage an equivalent decline in other species must occur.’

Seeing as The BS are and have been involved in stocking Barbel into rivers around the UK what are your views Steve?

Kind regards
Ray

Simon K

Reaction score
Message for Steve P.

If I read Fred's post correctly, please send my best wishes and sympathy if you speak to him. I will send him a p.m. too, for when he's back.

Si

Simon K

Reaction score
Cheers Steve.

It's not my call chaps, but I think with Fred's enforced absence............................. and Steve will, I'm sure, have his thoughts only for his friend at this time, we should probably put this thread in wraps.