Everywhere is rammed !

Philip

Reaction score
Oh heck yes!!!!

Give me Carp anglers anyday...
? :)

rayner

Reaction score
Commercial fisheries we all know have a few more fish than a naturally stocked pond if there is such a thing now.
The explosion of anglers who are returning or new to angling hoards who have demolished fisheries by just being there spraying baits willy nilly :D is simply too much pressure on fisheries. The big grin is intentional it's so funny.
The only time anything like decent fishing is to be found is on match days when fisheries have spare pegs between anglers.

I can see no easing of the pressure from anglers for the simple fact that folk who are now on furlough will when furlough ends lose their jobs.
A time of unemployment is I predict sure to come. Added to that those with employment will have the money used in furlough to repay with extra in taxes.
No one will be able to have holidays only the old folk, gone will be the days of evenings out. I could go on, you get the gist, we are all going to suffer.
Still, keep smiling eh we're a long time dead.

Reaction score
Clubs and fisheries would go bust without us....

rayner

Reaction score
Yes, they would Alan, fisheries couldn't care less how good or bad the fishing is, commercials just want bums on seats as it were.
Anglers it seems don't know why they struggle to catch.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Commercial fisheries we all know have a few more fish than a naturally stocked pond if there is such a thing now.
The explosion of anglers who are returning or new to angling hoards who have demolished fisheries by just being there spraying baits willy nilly :D is simply too much pressure on fisheries. The big grin is intentional it's so funny.
The only time anything like decent fishing is to be found is on match days when fisheries have spare pegs between anglers.

I can see no easing of the pressure from anglers for the simple fact that folk who are now on furlough will when furlough ends lose their jobs.
A time of unemployment is I predict sure to come. Added to that those with employment will have the money used in furlough to repay with extra in taxes.
No one will be able to have holidays only the old folk, gone will be the days of evenings out. I could go on, you get the gist, we are all going to suffer.
Still, keep smiling eh we're a long time dead.

I am now officially old folk, lol. Downside is knackered knees, upside is cheaper club memberships.

I fancied a go at some of the large catfish on one of my club waters. I got geared up for them With optimism set to maximum I bought a huge landing net but before my campaign began the lakes were shut due to the first lockdown. The other anglers apparently chucked so much bait into a fairly small lake that it was closed due to oxygen depletion. Now it’s open again, but still too many anglers there for my liking. Still I will be ready for next year when it warms up a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rayner

Reaction score
When it warms up there will be even more anglers Ray, packed fisheries will be so for quite a time. (n) :poop:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I just need to find the right formula of deserted waters AND plenty of fish.

It happens, but they invariably have access issues. Deliberately (or entirely) restricted angler numbers, prohibitively expensive, long walking distances, poor parking etc etc.

The more posts I see on this thread the more I disbelieve the original assertion. Places that were generally pretty busy before anyone had heard of covid may well be rammed, but not everywhere is. If you can stomach paying enough, dodgy parking, dodgy access roads, long walks, or even just fishing that's not top drawer, you'll find places where barely anyone is fishing.

mikench

Reaction score
I can find plenty Chris even if the car gets filthy and one sits surrounded by mud. The odd fish is the piece de resistance.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Not all commercials are going that way, one I know that is very good and very big (8 lakes and a bit of river) have enjoyed the shut down so much they are now only taking pre bookings for 30 anglers and only on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays and have decided to keep it that way. Mind you, I think they are retired people who have made enough money already to do this..
I still know a few day tickets that are very little known and a couple of carp free lakes as well, I don't know for sure because I have not visited them for a long time but I bet they will not get swamped corvid or not. Then there are miles of rivers, some belong to the club I joined this year, in about six visits I have only seen 2 anglers on them and a canal stretch they own only about 10 in 5 or 6 visits. I am going to guess these areas won't become swamped. I think there about 3 carp lakes they run that my guess is were all the members fish.
Even in London, I mentioned before one fishery that I doubt many know about and there must be a lot of the Thames that is unfashionable or not reputable that might well offer a lot of pressure free fishing. Other rivers come to mind here in the busy south east, Tillingham, Brede, Beult, Teise. I bet some of these do not see many anglers on their club stretches as well.
Then there are quite a few tidal stretches', not easy or good fishing but often free, these will not get used much.
I don't know what it is like yet as I have not been out there but if it has got bad or is going to get bad I am sure I will find some pressure free isolated fishing for myself if I want it.

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
I feel more than a little disadvantaged by health issues may be, the waters I can access are totally rammed. This is no exaggeration.
I think some are probably a little more relaxed costumer wise in the way of numbers but that is of no help to me.
OK if you live in an area where the population is less then it would come as a surprise how many anglers there actually are since the first lockdown.
Just because you don't see it doesn't make it not so.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I feel more than a little disadvantaged by health issues may be, the waters I can access are totally rammed. This is no exaggeration.
I think some are probably a little more relaxed costumer wise in the way of numbers but that is of no help to me.
OK if you live in an area where the population is less then it would come as a surprise how many anglers there actually are since the first lockdown.
Just because you don't see it doesn't make it not so.

I believe you. However, "everywhere that I can/am able/want to fish is rammed" is quite different from "everywhere is rammed". One of them is the truth, the other is a massive exaggeration.

Reaction score
Well,if I were forced to fish a horrible venue,with little chance of catching much worthy of the name,walk miles,with poor parking on unsafe venues,I wouldn't go,in fact I'd probably sell my gear,fishing is supposed to be a pleasure,pocket billiards is far more pleasant...

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
I just need to find the right formula of deserted waters AND plenty of fish.

You only have to look at the HDYGO posts of Peter Crabtree every week to see examples of venues such as the GUC and Thames that have loads of fish and miles upon miles of bank that will be deserted.

I am sure there must be dozens of other examples up and down the country.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Well,if I were forced to fish a horrible venue,with little chance of catching much worthy of the name,walk miles,with poor parking on unsafe venues,I wouldn't go,in fact I'd probably sell my gear,fishing is supposed to be a pleasure,pocket billiards is far more pleasant...

Quite, but there are some happy mediums out there. You've just got to accept that they may not be the very best venues in the area, or there's a price to pay for some exclusivity.

So many of you are talking about venues that are usually very busy being that bit extra busy. The venue that you (Alan) are talking about is so well renowned that this bloke two hundred miles away knows of it. Given a chance, I'd love to fish it myself. If it's not the best river venue in the South East of England I'd be surprised. However, even prior to covid, it sounded far too busy for my liking.

There are river stretches and commies in my rural neck of the woods that have been packed since May. Well known and busy venues that are unsurprisingly extra busy. I avoided them prior to covid and I'll keep on avoiding them. I'd much rather maximize the potential of lesser trodden river stretches and pay for the privilege of a restricted access stillwater.

Reaction score
Yes,but the Thames is a different ball game from this time of year on,often chub with the odd bream and distance is prohibitive when you are on your own,the canal again has problems,often Simon fishes with others in knock ups,if you fish on your own you can be quite vulnerable to abuse from yobs,cyclists etc.

mikench

Reaction score
You only have to look at the HDYGO posts of Peter Crabtree every week to see examples of venues such as the GUC and Thames that have loads of fish and miles upon miles of bank that will be deserted.

I am sure there must be dozens of other examples up and down the country.
My local canals are typical. They may be deserted of anglers but not cyclists whizzing past at high speed, dog walkers with dogs off leads, little old ladies and others who stand behind you to make a phone call. Add in boats and the overall experience isn't wonderful. I'm still happy to go there but on balance prefer secluded if difficult waters.